Fiat 1200 Gran Luce -59 | FerrariChat

Fiat 1200 Gran Luce -59

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by FastFreddie, Oct 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FastFreddie

FastFreddie Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    I just bought today this incredibly cool little car! It is in restored condition and a beauty. It will be a nice addition to my 328GTB-89 and Quattroporte-65 as well as the Alfa DD's.

Are there any owners here who would like to share experiences?

2. olinde

olinde Karting

Mar 23, 2004
    Photos please! I love these...

3. FastFreddie

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    #3 FastFreddie, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are some pictures. I don't know if i'm crazy, but tomorrow i will drive it home appx 300 km. The car has been sitting for the last 3 years.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. EW007

EW007 Rookie

Feb 13, 2010
    Little Rock, AR
    Wow...that's great condition. They're those great Fiat styles with a little extra sport...I love the roof on these.

5. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Beautiful! I'm a nut for old Fiats...

Make sure your tires and brakes are safe before setting out on your trip.

6. David Jarrett

David Jarrett Karting

Sep 21, 2006
    Chatham Kent
    Full Name:
    David Jarrett
    Fabulous.

Great colour scheme too.

7. FastFreddie

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    The wheather was absolutely horrible. Torrential rain all day! But the car ran beautifully all the 320Km! This is more than it have travelled the last 10 years!
    This car is truly in time warp condition. Totally original with 98 000km on the clock. All upholstery, carpets, everything is original. The car is not renovated, but it got a new paint 20 years ago. It looks really good from 2meters but when you look close there are blistering in the paint. Just to see how difficult it is to get rid of, I tried to wet sant the bonnet and it looks promising. A LOT of work though.
    A few small hickups along the way, you can't have it all, can you? The starter engine doesn't work so I have to push start the car. But more interestingly after a couple of hard pushes on the brakes the pedal hit the floor! Fortunately the handbrake works just fine so the driving had to be planned :)
    In the rain the car was completely foggy. Didn't it rain in the 50's? I can only imagine if you would have your whole family in the car, it would be close to impossible to drive.

I was lucky to get the original drivers manual like the one in the link with the car. Even though I have a couple of more exclusive cousins to this one, I have to say it is really awsome!

8. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Glad you made it OK using just the handbrake, I had a feeling the brakes might give you problems after sitting for so long! According to my 1200 Gran Luce parts book, early cars had the handbrake on the transmission drive shaft and later cars had the handbrake on the rear shoes. If you have the early car I wouldn't trust the handbrake to slow you down safely, only to lock the shaft in place. Be careful! Parts should be easily available to fix whatever is wrong with your brakes, and they're simple to work on.

The heating and defroster system should be reasonably effective if it's set up correctly and in good working order, but not nearly as good as the cheapest cars available today.

9. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Of course, but your rubber seals are too old.

10. Miura68

Miura68 Rookie

Aug 29, 2012
    #11 Miura68, Oct 25, 2012
    Hey...great thread. We have one very similar in Melbourne, Australia and we still use it.

It has done just under 80,000 miles from new and I am the third owner. It had a few rust spots that had to be cut out and patched with new steel and as a result the trunk lid and doors on the right hand side had to be resprayed. My paint man rang me and said the hood then looked shabby compared to the doors so he did that too. The rest of the car is original though. I had padded mats made for the front and the rear carpet fully done which made it a lot quieter inside. The brakes have all been done and the radiator was recored but the rest is original. The wheels are off an Alfa and were on the car when I bought it so I just left them there.

We get along very nicely and don't hold too much traffic up. Last Christmas we took it over the highest mountain passes in Southern Australia with no problems at all... a trip of about 1500km which we did in 3 days.

11. source

source Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2010
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That car of yours looks absolutely stunning. Now I may be the first 20 year-old to admit this, but if your Fiat can make it over a mountain without any problems then that puts my Subaru wagon to shame (it cannot go anywhere without overheating- which is early 90s). Saddening!

Great pics btw!

12. FastFreddie

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    It looks really nice! What is the name of the model, because it is not a Granluce. It is similar to mine but the roof is different. Is it a 1100 or 1200 engine?
    My mechanic is working on mine and the starter engine was no problem but the whole brake system needed an overhaul after sitting for several years. Anyone know where to get a new main brake cylinder?

13. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    It's a 1100/103 D.

14. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    The 1100/103 was so good and reliable that Fiat exported it all over the world and if I am not mistaken, they still make it in India to this day.

15. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #16 Miltonian, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    The 1200 parts catalog lists the brake master cylinder as Fiat part #996796 (superceded to 4087907). According to Chris Obert's website, he has nine of these in stock at $215 each (187 Euros).

It's apparently a 1" diameter cylinder, you could probably have your old cylinder resleeved to size, and Obert also lists the seals (4115453) at $6 each (2 required).

16. FastFreddie

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    Since I'm new to classic fiat ownership i'm not aware of where to buy parts. Since i'm located in sweden it would be a lot better to buy from europe. (25% VAT +4% toll on everything from the us)
    Is there a classic fiat webshop in europe?

17. Miura68

Miura68 Rookie

Aug 29, 2012
    #18 Miura68, Oct 26, 2012
    Hey.... thanks for the comments on my little 1100 in Australia. I have the original handbook for the car and it is actually a "Fiat 1100 Export" and I think it was made at the same time as the Grand Luce but was not quite so nicely styled. But here is another bit of interesting information...... These cars were actually assembled in Australia. I think that there was a government incentive at the time to save import duty by giving the car some Australian labour content so they were shipped out completely disassembled by Fiat in boxes and then assembled, painted, fitted with Australian tyres, etc in Sydney. Many other companies assembled cars here as well. I have spoken to an old Fiat mechanic and he said it was possible to see Italian assembled cars in the showroom alongside the locally assembled cars and there was a saving of about $60 which was significant back then. There is a plate in the engine bay showing this car was assembled in Sydney.

Now... here's another few bits of info. The Grand Luce in Australia was called a "Riviera". As far as I know Australia was the only country to do this... and I have a few spare Riviera badges if any-one is interested. They were on the trunk lid in the same place and using the same chrome script. The cars were assembled in India up until the mid-90s and sold as a Pal Premier. Originally they were just about all Fiat parts but towards the end they introduced some new parts and even had Datsun engines at the end I think. But India is a fantastic source of parts and all the brake components are still available and very cheap....more like $50 for a new master cylinder and I think the wheel cylinders were less than $10 each when I last bought them. It is great to be able to buy new rubbers and new tailights... I think they were about $20 each. Send me a PM if you need some help.

Keep the thread going... they are great little cars.... easy to restore... and good to drive. We are often amused to come back to our car in a car park and find a crowd around it.... or to go to sn event and find it gets just as much attention as some of the exotics.

All the taxis in India were Pals.

18. Miura68

Miura68 Rookie

Aug 29, 2012
    #19 Miura68, Oct 26, 2012
    I just love this thread on the Fiat 1100s and it is great to see there is a bit of interest. I want to show you a photo of another car I bought on ebay about 2 years ago and have been slowly restoring. It came from California, unfortunately from a deceased estate so no history came with the purchase. I would love to know if any-one recognises the car and can fill in any of the history. It was white originally.... then at a later stage was light metalic green and it is definitely a 1200 and definitely original.

19. FastFreddie

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    #20 FastFreddie, Oct 26, 2012
    I love these old Fiats! The funny thing is that I am lucky to own a couple of other italian cars with a bit more value but it is just as fun with the Fiat. I think these two are quite on the opposite side of the spectrum of four door saloons from italy in the 60's. One is the car of the people, small, cheap, quite slow the other is a big car, fastest four door saloon in the world, hideously expensive. Both equally fun in their own way.

I have the original manuals that came with the car. It was originally sold in Sweden.

20. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #21 Miltonian, Oct 27, 2012
    Miura68:

I'm pretty sure that this is your car, a one-off? Picture taken from the 1958 Turin Show report in Sportscar Quarterly, Spring 1959 edition.

I'd love to know more about it!

21. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    #22 PG1964, Oct 27, 2012
  22. Miura68

Miura68 Rookie

Aug 29, 2012
    #23 Miura68, Oct 30, 2012
    Miltonian, PG 1964,

Thanks so much for your responses and the attachments. This car...or at least one looking the same appeared in a detailed article in the Italian magazine Quattroruote (not sure how it is spelt) in August 1958 describing the Turin show car and saying they would make more if there was a demand. The price was 50% more than the Grand Luce. The car is also the same or very similar to the prototype ASA.

I would love to know if any others exist or any more photos.

My car was definitely not a production car. It had bracing and angle sections all through the inside of it. The door interiors were obviously just fabricated to hold the trim in place. From what I can see it had a green chequered trim and was probably nicely finished.

The next interesting thing is that it was advertised as having a fibreglass trunk lid. When I bought it on ebay and was waiting for it to arrive in Australia I was thinking that the trunk lid was just another job I would have to fix. Then I found an article in Cavallino about 250 Ferraris with fibreglass lids. In total I think 21 cars were made. It turns out that Pininfarina had decided this was the material of the future and had started experimenting with non-production cars and special bodied cars. This is just another rare feature of the car.

I am attaching another of PF's publicity photos.

Thanks so much for your responses.

Miura86

23. FastFreddie

Aug 10, 2010
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Fredric Gustafsson
    I've never seen this coupé before, really cool styling. Good luck with the restoration. I ended up with a total rebuild of the brake system. It also turned out that the exhaust system had to be exchanged.
    I'm very pleasantly surprised at the prices for parts! Used to the Ferrari/Maserati level this is very cheap. What do yo say of a comple exhaust system for Euro 178 incl shipping! For the Ferrari you get the fixings for that amount!
    I bought a new set of correct tires as well. The ones on the car were unused but completely wrong. I found a set 5.20/14 with the white sidewall at longstone tyres in England. Impressed that they had the tires on the shelf. I can't imagine them selling too many of these!

24. Miura68

Miura68 Rookie

Aug 29, 2012
    Miltonian, PG 1964,

I have learnt a lot about my Fiat Coupe over the last few days thanks to you. It has got me thinking. I was the lucky one to get this car on ebay because no-one was sure what it was and it had a Volvo motor. From my research and interest in Fiat 1100s I had an idea what it was but it has a 116 prefix in the chassis number which has got me thinking now. Does that suggest it had a 1500 twin cam rather than a 1200 pushrod motor originally?

I work a long way from home but when I get back I will take some photos of the framing inside the car. You will see this is definitely a one-off or very low volume car.

Incidentally, in the note I sent the other day I referred to 21 cars with fibreglass trunk lids. That info is from Cavallino and apparently 21 250 Ferraris are known to have fibreglass lids.

Miura68