Team Roosevelt Racing Cars | FerrariChat

Team Roosevelt Racing Cars

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Patek, Dec 24, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #1 Patek, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My Father back in about 1960 bought all 5 of the team Roosevelt cars, only one of the five was a Twin Cam, which he kept. He did not have enough money to repaint the so he but on EX Roosevelt. His was in the mountains of North Georgia. Population of about 400 , he was an Abarth Dealer, there was on in White Plains NY, and Thousands Oak California. But My dad was good friends with Herschel Harkins in Ashville N.C., old money, and he roomed with FDR Jr. the President's son. Here are some old photos before he took the SCCA championship in 1966, had 15 races in all that year, he won all 15, "H" modified I think, and my have been called "D" sports racing later on, my brain is soft on this.
    He even joined the Daytona Beach Century Club with Bill France in 1958 while driving a 1958 Jag. He hit 109.897 mph on the beach, you think you are flying the needle show 169 mph but wheels are just spinning like crazy, I still have the little piece of paper signed by Bill France.
    The black and white photo is a photo of Preston Henn, Bob Wollock, and J.W. Denton on the far right I think it was 1984 can't tell for sure.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

BJK likes this.
  2. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    John, thanks for this. A friend of mine owns one of the 5 Record Monzas claimed to the Roosevelt team, the car is under restore actually and we're trying to knows its story.
    May i have a talk with you in PM? Thanks a lot.

3. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
  4. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Thank you Francis.

5. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I sent you a PM, and my email. Give me a chat.
    John

6. superleggera

superleggera Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Dry Heat, AZ
    #6 superleggera, Jan 8, 2013
    I'm rather clueless about these Abarth's -- but supposedly "Team Roosevelt" history. Early 1958 Abarth Monza Record with tail lights in rear decklid assembly. All help would be appreciated. Probably 700cc originally and later ran with 1000cc engine. It has been sitting for about 40 years in a storage unit.

7. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    A number on the body would tell someone if it was a team roosevelt car. But, right now I don't know anyone with numbers. My Father had 5 of them but only one number was matched as the other numbers are lost in time.

I wish I knew more, but after 50 years plus, things just blew by.

John

8. Edgar_rosario

Edgar_rosario Rookie

Aug 14, 2014
    Hey guys long story short my girlfriends father has a 59 750 record monza that he left to her after passing way 5 months ago come to find out her mother told me when he bought it, it was one of the ex team Roosevelt cars upon looking into his old notes he had i believe more and more this was in fact one of the record monza's that were raced does not have the twin cam head unfortunately but from what i read they were raced and after they were done they would swap the race motors for the more streetable motors the car is located in westchester ny and would love to restore and drive this record monza its hardly missing anything! I have no desire to sell it and as soon as i figure out how to upload pics on this thread i will post them up but patek if you could email me [email protected] i could give you my phone number we could further discuss the car in the garage there is also two 750gt double bubbles that are in rough condition please replay at your earliest convenience

9. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I just sent you an Email.
    Best,
    John

10. MRG22

MRG22 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    California
    Full Name:
    Mike Gulett
  11. rbsloan11

rbsloan11 Karting

Apr 25, 2007
    Carmel
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #11 rbsloan11, Oct 9, 2014
    BJK likes this.
  12. guy moerenhout

Apr 30, 2006
    belguim
    Full Name:
    moerenhout guy
    I have this car now in our museum after ownership DIDI Belguim and europ.Champion rally
    Was winning Liege Rome Liege and Coup de Sources with it in 1995 and 1992
    Will use it back in rally and some hill clims

abarth works museum Belguim
    guy moerenhou

13. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Think team Roosevelt had a porsche speedster as well

14. alderaen

alderaen Rookie

Nov 4, 2023
    Hello,

I am interested in learning more about the Fiat Abarths. My grandfather raced for Roosevelt Racing in the 1950s and early 1960s, and Roger Penske was his co-driver on a few occasions. I'm trying to piece together information about the team, since my grandfather passed roughly 20 years ago. Thank you.

Patek likes this.
  15. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    He most likely knew Al Cosentino . Hard to find out about this stuff once the main people are gone. Let me know what you find out.

16. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    The Cosentino's archive is at the REVS Institute today.

Patek likes this.
  17. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    That is great. My Dad was just about the only true friend that big Al had. He could be very difficult to deal with. They met up in about 1961 when Al was in Whiteplains NY. I remember Al coming to the house one time in a yellow school bus in the 1970's and he had 3 Abarth racing cars inside. This is a painting Al gave us. He was really quite good at painting.

JP365 likes this.
  18. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
  19. Jim W.

Jim W. Rookie

May 20, 2005
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    jim wickstead
    I used to sell Al Simca 1000 trannies. His Simca 2000 ate them regularly
    The go to place for vintage Abarth is Berni Motori. Tony Berni is fluent in English and Abarth. Great guy. For serial numbers check out John DeBoer..Italian car register

Patek likes this.
  20. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
  21. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    wow that looks great. Thanks for posting.

22. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    That is some great stuff.