who's selling a fiat dino spider? | FerrariChat

who's selling a fiat dino spider?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by philt68, Jan 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    anyone? bueller? bueller?

i keep seeing them, and i keep liking them...

2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Open your eyes!!! Bringatrailer this morning big as life! (think it's on fleabay)

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

4. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    THAT one i've seen...it's got all sorts of things wrong with it!

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Better to pay for a nice one than get one beat up one and fix it. I've been looking also for a while but there's a lot of junk out there.

First thing you gotta do is tear off the Horsey logos.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

good luck phil. you are looking to add even more kewel details to your already great stable!!!

don't forget that aston vantage as you still need to add one of those!!!!

best,

pcb

7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    So agree with P, Phil is one of those respected collectors who is always after the right cars!

8. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Sorry, but his His Grifo wasn't right.

9. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Agreed and for me the 2.4 is the deal, making it all the more difficult.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Actually, a lot of people think the 2.0 is actually a better car. It's debatable which is really "better" (I like the 2.0 front grill better) and they only made like 180 2.4's so they are hard to find.

I think there is nothing more pathetic than someone sticking on Ferrari logos on Fiat Dino's. Seriously -- do you understand how silly and vain you look?

11. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city

I've heard the same thing-the 2.0 is revvier (is that a word) and much more agile, because the engine was made of aluminium (that's right, that's how I say it!)

Re Ferrari badges, can you say Ferrari 246 and dino 308 gt4? Both suffered from an excess of badge application....:). When bought my Dino ages ago, it was FESTOONED with Ferrari badges-two on the back, Ferrari floor mats, and a Ferrari fire extinguisher...

12. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    Lol! What was wrong with the grifo!

13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    WAAAAY overpriced IMHO (which means nothing). However, I've tracked / hunted these cars for a long time. Restoration will NOT BE CHEAP. As you note, many parts unobtanium and any engine maintenance will only add to that.

I seem to remember someone purchased a nice example for around $45K - maybe Napolis?

*****EDIT - quick check of Hagerty's valuation guide indicates a condition 4 car runs around $37K, condition 1 close to $90K (!!!!)

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #14 Napolis, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Great cars. Parts are a non issue you can get any part. Total resto was about 50K, a car worth restoring about 50K.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    #15 malcolmb, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    All of this is the TRUTH as I know it from owning and reading about these cars-my experience, nothing more.
    There were 424 Fiat Dino 2.4 litre Spiders built, never imported to the USA, people have guessed there may be 30 here now. Unless you want to import a car you will be buying from this limited stock.
    I did an article on my experience, the search feature should bring it up. I would link it if I could.
    Three years ago I paid $45000 for a solid "CORE CAR"; i.e., all there, needed everything. This was fine with me because I saw it as a time to do one correctly, my way.
    We did nothing to the body or interior.
    The engine was completely rebuilt-everything new except the liners, crank, rods and cams. The clutch assembly was replaced.Bushings, shocks, soft brake lines, exhaust were all replaced. Every ancillary device was rebuilt or replaced...vacuum pump, alternator, starter, brake MC and Slave...did everything that would prevent it from being a good driver.
    We were able to obtain all the needed parts from a variety of sources.
    I spent around $45000 on this effort, meaning I am into the car for around $90,000. Will I ever get this money back? I dont care- I built it to drive in vintage rallys, and to drive to work in San Diego.
    BUT- I KNOW of a recent sale in southern california for the low $100k's, and a recent sale in Florida for the high 80's. I did not see the Fl car, but do know the CA car-it was worth every penny.
    When restored Austin Healy's are selling for the low $100k, and interesting low production cars are in big demand, I think[OK, this is supposition, not fact] that these cars will not continue to be available for the historic prices. Many low production cars which were ignored for years are becoming interesting and valuable as people realize that most of us are not going to be driving a SWB anytime soon.
    These cars are great fun to drive, the 2.4 has lots of midrange torque, and great engine flexibility.At last years mountain mille rally in Va, my co-driver and I both agreed that on the windy roads of Va thhis car handles better than a 275 GTB. Not bad for the price.
    After the engine was broken in we ran it to 6000RPM on the engine dyne-it made 172 HP, amazingly close to the in-period sales pitch.
    Finally, I have no idea what Jim paid for his car, but I followed its rebuild-it is certainly the best out there, and certainly worth a lot. Not that he will ever sell it.
    If you have particular questions, I would be pleased to respond.
    Malcolm

16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I thought the 2.4L introduced an IRS over the live axle...am I mistaken?

They are lovely to look at - never would have thought they would be close to $90K in condition 1 shape.

17. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Correct, 2.4 has IRS, seems very good to me. Many parts are stock Fiat and available for for Fiat prices....except the engine of course.
    I havent driven a 2.l, but i know I like the torque of the 2.4.
    malcolm

18. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Malcolmb,

Weren't the 2.4l engines built in the Ferrari factory and the 2.0l engines built
    by Fiat? Those 2.0l motors are the same as those used in the 206 GT's?

Mark

19. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    To be honest it was a average car in the Grifo world, You said you didn't like the way it drove, and sold it. IMO the Grifo is one of the better driving cars of it's era if it is in good working order. The question is was it in proper order, many Grifo's have worn suspension systems and they don't drive like they should. I just don't think you got to drive what I have driven in the Iso world, when you do you will understand why so many people love them. I wish you the best on the Dino.

20. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    I agree the badge thing is not right and it is one of my pet peeves. I like the 2.4 for one reason, it's a more robust engine. The 2.0 may rev better, or sound better, but they always seem a bit fragile and seem to be on the edge of a problem. Plus the 2.4 has the suspension upgrade.

I owned a early Ghibli that had a really wild engine , double clutch, special cams, early manifold, it would rev, it was a lot of fun but a lot of work. Tuning was twice as hard and would over heat, I would take a later car any day.

21. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    They both say "FIAT" all over the place. IMHO: Generally speaking, the engine quality looks closer to what I've come to expect from Ferrari.

The car is also an exciting performer because they have that great Dino motor AND they don't weigh very much. Cool the way it exits turns and accelerates. :) :)

22. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
  23. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

24. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    if someone is interested in either a project Coupe or Spyder. PM me, 2.0 and 2.4.