Bizzarrini AMX for sale | FerrariChat

Bizzarrini AMX for sale

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by velocetwo, Aug 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #1 velocetwo, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    Protoypefan needs this.

3. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Rodger that

4. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Very cool car, but $900k? No way.

5. prototypefan

prototypefan Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    Incredible car and yes I need to own one to compliment the AMC AMX/I Vignale prototype and the AMC AMX/II prototype.
    Fortunately for me there are 6 of the AMX/3 cars, to the untrained eye they are quite similar but quite different in reality.
    I've not had the privilege of driving one but I just put over 2000 miles on my Bizzarrini 5300 and if these cars perform similar they would be a hoot. I know one of the cars had a ton of issues and has never really properly functioned. Unconfirmed stories have the problem being the American design and specs with European manufacturing, apparently many of the assembly holes did not line up.
    Two of the cars did rack up some miles, Richard Teague racked up over 30,000 miles on his.
    The car for sale did run and hard, testing at Monza at very high speeds. Some of the period pieces from the Monza test photos did not make it on the car during the restoration and one could easily say that it looks much cleaner without them.
    It will be interesting to see how the market reacts to this car. Recent sales of Bizzarrini's are in the 375-600 range, Grifo's are 250-400, Mangusta's are 85-175. Arguably more relevant would be the Manta which was a no sale at 850 (it's much easier to guage market prices when they sell).
    The AMX/3 is an AMC. Without AMC writing the cheque and letting Richard Teague loose these cars would never have seen the light of day. Without Teague these cars would not exist, he had a ton of European influence and loved Italian cars. Bizzarrini did the construction but should not get credit for the existence of them.....besides Bizzarrini American Motors eXperimental number 3 does sound silly.
    I will own one......so who is gonna start the bidding war?

6. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #6 velocetwo, Aug 13, 2013
    Bizzarrini has stated numerous times that the AMX was the best handling of all the cars he built, and it was road tested to 170 MPH. Even BMW gave it a thumbs up during testing. Unlike the Manta this car can be driven long distances and was sorted out. I think the price is right in the ballpark for such a rare interesting drivable car.

Would love to see a road test of this car and a Pantera.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

33guana likes this.
  7. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #7 velocetwo, Aug 13, 2013
    33guana likes this.
  8. PowerbyFord

PowerbyFord Rookie

Aug 27, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Rumor is the AMX3 had a front lift problem at speed. The Pantera starts to feel light by 150mph - most owners have some sort of front aero device to avoid this. Pantera chassis designed by Dellara (of indy car fame) and is quite good. Most cars are well sorted by this time. Pantera uses the near indestructable ZF -2 transaxle - the AMX3????

Wouldn't trade my Pantera for anything. Well, ok. a P3/4 and a 275GTB/4 alloy.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Remember he designed the 250GTO which has a Kamm tail ...
    Pete

10. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Bizzarrini got 170 out of the AMX in it's first trials, I will just leave it at that.It used the Cambi OTO Melara This was a very good unit but very rare. Bizzarrini later built P538's using the ZF because it was available.

11. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Yep way ahead of Pete Brock and Ford

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If you want to know where the 308 gtb got it's front end everyone loves so much, just look at this car made in 1970.

13. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast

I see it now

14. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Good! Hope to see this one at another Billings type rally ...

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #15 staatsof, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    Having spent quite a bit of time trying to get the cooling and high speed stability right on a couple of Boras I can see that this has a similar layout except for two crucial differences.

The exhaust venting on the hood is much farther back so it probably is a better flow with less obstruction. It might actually work correctly ... The design of Bora was more focused on luggage which it did quite well.

The rear hatch has ventilation. I wonder if it's in the correct configuration to actually work effectively.

That rear flip up panel ???? That's where the Bora has some venting but it doesn't work at all as a vent. I think there's already too much down force in that location to be effective as a vent area so this seems like a good place to put in a pop up spoiler. I wonder if those louvers in the plastic were effective.

Horrid placement for a spare tire just like the Bora. Blocks air flow and I'm of the opinion that ventilation should have been on the backside of the Kamm tail like this:

File:Ford GT40 (rear).jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But then there's the styling issues ...

The Bora has a lot of rear lift at high speed from air piling up in the engine compartment.

So maybe these vents in the hatch alleviate all of that pressure in there?

This car has very nice proportions and some nice details in that front end as well.

Too bad about it being so red. I think it would look much better in some other more interesting colors that show off the body's design details.

16. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Wow i predict this will sell above asking
    Giotto is the 2nd coming of Da vinci!

17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It very badly needs to lose those horrid side marker lights.

18. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #18 velocetwo, Aug 14, 2013
  19. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #19 velocetwo, Aug 14, 2013
  20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The version with the round tail lights isn't too bad either.

21. prototypefan

prototypefan Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    None of the six cars are the same. The Sciabola has three lights per side just like a 365 boxer and the back half of the car is much longer also.

It is surprising how the little details really clean up the look of a car.

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    One could never say it is a great looking car. What it does manage to achieve is an American muscle car look ... interesting.
    Pete

23. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh I don't know about that. I think the version in the first two photos of the previous post are pretty nice?

24. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    At least, we all know there are 6x AMX/3 and in the future a special book won't reveal there is a 7th, a 8th.... sorry it's a belgian joke !!!