Lancia Sport Barchetta | FerrariChat

Lancia Sport Barchetta

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by tifosi_, Jan 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Out of curiosity, I see a dealer in north Toronto (Ocean Drive Motors) advertising a 1962 Lancia Sport Barchetta for sale. It looks like a classic sports racing car from the 60's (see the link below), but when I do an internet search to find out more about this model nothing comes up. I guess its possibly very rare, or perhaps a replica of some kind. Does anyone know the history on this car which is rather beautiful I think?

(Ocean Drive Motors)

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
  3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Wow...another gorgeous roadster! Great looking car.

4. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Because this car didn't exist, of course. This car isn't rare, isn't a replica, it's just a fake, nice, but it's a fake built thanks to a 2.0 Lancia Aurelia donor. So, the client, a guy of Milan, homologated it in June 1962.

5. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Well, it's obviously a fakey-doo. But quite well done, I kinda like it.

6. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
  7. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    #7 tifosi_, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I see this 1962 Lancia Sport Barchetta being advertised locally in the Toronto area by a dealer in used Italian cars, but I am not familiar with this car which looks very much like an old racing car, though it may have just been a runabout that Lancia made for the road. I searched Google but couldn't find any material on this style. Can anyone shed any light on the history of this car?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    #8 tifosi_, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I see this 1962 Lancia Sport Barchetta being advertised locally in the Toronto area by a dealer in used Italian cars, but I am not familiar with this car which looks very much like an old racing car, though it may have just been a runabout that Lancia made for the road. I searched Google but couldn't find any material on this style. Can anyone shed any light on the history of this car?

9. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    No, but thanks for introducing us. I'm losing track of all these boutique Italian oddities....they are all freakin gorgeous and yes, I want one :)

Put an Alfa, Fiat, Lancia, Maserati, etc...grill on the front and call it what you like, they are all so cool!

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Is it alloy? What are they asking?

11. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    I understand that it is an original Lancia chassis and engine but the bodywork was constructed in Italy. Still quite beautiful Asking price $250,000.000

12. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    As i already said in another thread, this car has been assembled by an anonymous craftsman of the Milan suburbia in 1962. He took an Aurelia chassis, cutted it and put on the B12 mechanical parts. The body resembles many other fake Lancia sport spyders built during the '60s, i think almost 10. This isn't a factory product or a coachbuilder product, it's a completely fake and it worths nothing on the market except for those fools who still believe in the flying pink elephants....

13. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  14. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    I have no idea what the price is but thanks for the info. I had a feeling it might be a fake as I couldn't seem to find any info about it online

15. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Thanks for the link. Its still for sale and you have to request the price (its not listed and I didn't ask). I have to say its a nice replica though, looks interesting and it may be fun to drive as well, but its certainly not a good investment

16. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Clyde, it isn't a replica it's a fake!
    Lancia never built an Aurelia sport spyder before of after the 1962.

17. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    And guess why?

18. ClassicAB

ClassicAB Karting
    BANNED

Jan 1, 2014
    #18 ClassicAB, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2014
    Some people really feel confident about the information they share…
    A fake?! Wow!
    How and why is this car a fake? Please explain me, I would love you to enlightened…

My uncle actually used to own that car! It was at the end of the 60s and indeed he told me she was built by an Italian crafsman from somewhere around Milan. And I remember her as I have seen so many family pictures with my cousins sitting in that car

You know, 50 years ago, Italy was really famous for its cars and its activity was hectic. There were lots of little but talented craftsmen and lots of little shops making all sorts of cars, beautiful one-off using parts from Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia cars. They would take parts they thought were interesting (that car has a beautiful Lancia engine) and build some new cars. They are nothing like fake, they are unique pieces of art.
    There is actually a really nice book about those small barchettas. I will try to find it and post picture..
    You ´ll tell me after how they are fake…

This car is 100% original and totally unique. Nothing is fake about it.. What´s fake is the comment I just read. Not only its shows how ignorant some people are but it also is an insult to Italian craftsmanship..

Anyway, rest in peace, no one will bring that car to your garage alley..

19. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Sorry, i 'm not a collector nor a dealer. But it happens to be that i'm one of the historians of the Lancia brand. I saw the documents of the car, Lancia never built that car, which a craftsman assembled from a donor Aurelia making a fantasy body in 1962, the same year when the CSI decided to abrogate the International sportcars championship. About the book you are talking about, i'm writing the update edition.

20. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    That Ocean Drive Motors gets some interesting cars at times. I spoke to one of the owners there maybe 1-2 yrs ago regarding a Fiat X19 they had for sale, had super low mileage and looked like new. Anyway the owner described their outfit to me as more of a club or place to hang out for the guys there who liked Italian cars. Anyway, never did buy the car. That Lancia above whether fake, real or whatever looks gorgeous.

21. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    I agree that the Lancia looks gorgeous whether fake or not. I used to work in a business that imported artisan type products from Italy, so I am well aware of the potential for beautiful work by unrecognized Italian craftsman who do not belong to a internationally known organization like one of the famous coach builders such as Touring or Zagato, Bertone, etc...It is very possible that a small Italian craft shop produced this one off beautiful car to the same quality and detail as a more recognized coach builder would, however, if that shop is/was not recognized, and if it did not have a recognized history of coach building, then that should seriously affect the assessed value of the car despite its beauty and quality.

22. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    I agree that the Lancia looks gorgeous whether fake or not. I used to work in a business that imported artisan type products from Italy, so I am well aware of the potential for beautiful work by unrecognized Italian craftsman who do not belong to a internationally known organization like one of the famous coach builders such as Touring or Zagato, Bertone, etc...It is very possible that a small Italian craft shop produced this one off beautiful car to the same quality and detail as a more recognized coach builder would, however, if that shop is/was not recognized, and if it did not have a recognized history of coach building, then that should seriously affect the assessed value of the car despite its beauty and quality. If Ocean Drive is really asking $250,000.00 for this car, then all I can say is good luck to them, and good luck to the eventual buyer

23. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Worth nothing? BS. Lots of cars get modified for the better and are worth more than what it started out as.

Breast implants are fake, but you still find alot of people paying good $ for them.

24. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Certainly its worth something, but if the asking price for it is truly as Jnk has noted at $250,000.00, then that's unrealistic

25. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    The price came directly from the dealer.