Buy an Alfa 8C Competizione now | FerrariChat

Buy an Alfa 8C Competizione now

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by DWR46, Mar 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Just a word to the wise. Now is the time to find and acquire a 2008 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione (I just did). These cars are still "flying under the radar" and many enthusiasts are not aware of them. Only 500 Coupes were produced worldwide, with 84 US cars. With the pollution laws today, 84 is all the States will ever have.

I believe these cars are the modern successor to the 250 GT SWB Berlinetta. They were built in very small quantities, are front engined, short wheelbase and by today's standards, very basic. Besides, they are dropdead gorgeous. I am not a fan of paddle shifters, but when I drove one it all clicked and the car is amazing. Also the sound alone will cause you to write the check!

The 8C's were originally sold to two types of buyers: the very knowledgable enthusiast who acquired the car for his collection. These cars will not be for sale in the near or distant future. They are locked away. The second type of buyer was also enthuiastic, but liked to own the very latest offering by the exotic car makers. Now five years later, some of these cars are becoming available as the owner acquires the next and latest offering by the manufactures.

Buyers today are either the knowledgable collector who missed the car on introduction and is now taking advantage of the situation to lock one away, or the collector who could not afford the car when new and sees a great oppertunity to acquire an 8C before the collector car actions and market rediscover the cars.

Some orignal owners have traded the cars into dealers for the latest Ferrari and, to the dealer, the 8C is just a "used" car . The astute buyer can, for a short time, find a 8C at "used car prices". These cars seem to be acquired from the dealer very quickly, and the dealers will rapidly understand the true value of these cars.

Almost everyone of the 84 US Spec cars were true one-offs as to the colors and options. Very few were built to the same specs. The two Reds were the most common colors followed by a few Black cars and a limited number of yellow and custom colors.

You still have time to step up and find one, but they are so undervalued in the scheme of things that this situation will end soon. Just to make things clear, our car is not for sale. I buy and keep, I do not sell.

Makuono likes this.
  2. Madaboutred

Madaboutred Karting

Aug 10, 2013
    Athens Greece
    Full Name:
    Aris Thomazos
    Congratulations. It really is a voluptuous creation.
    I always believed that buying an alfa romeo was a matter of a sentimental urge and not logic, and this is why I always ended up broken hearted, as everyday was like having an affair with a scizophrenic woman.
    I never knew when disaster was going to happen.
    Seems they got it right this time and no drama happens.
    I just hope that you are going to drive it and not store it.
    Storing cars is like getting married to a long legged big breasted plarinum 18yo girl and not having sex with her until she becomes 50.
    No matter how good she can be on the bed, she will be nothing more than a sexy granny.
    Enjoy it while it is fresh.

3. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    A very nice and artistic car,
    an absolutely fabulous exhaust note,
    drop dead gorgeous,
    and fantastic to drive.

Oh and only 500 made.

4. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    We now know that of the 84 US spec cars, at least three went to Canada. It appears that once they went to Canada, they may not be able to return to the US. So the universe of cars in the States is now down to 80 cars or less, as some cars began to suffer accident damage (at least one in California).

5. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    If I could, I would. My favorite modern (2000's to today) car.

6. abster

abster Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    NJ
    Just wish they had raced a version of the 8C: The 250 SWB comparison would be have been complete.

7. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    They are very beautiful, but it seems like a lot of money for what it is.

8. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Craigy: I understand your concerns about the price, and the prices have jumped significantly in the last two months. Now, when a car appears on the market, there are multiple buyers chasing it. My friend just bought the car at Ferrari of Seattle and he only got it as a favor by the dealership owner to a dealer friend of his. The bids were going above the asking price.

I think one of the reasons for the value is that there is no other Italian high performance car today that has the attributes of the 8C. It is front engined, short wheelbase, very maneuverable and really "involves" the driver unlike some other of the latest offerings from the manufacturers. The sound is like nothing else. When this is combined with the extremely low production numbers, the value is there. In today's world, only 84 cars, with each one practically a one-off, insures the long term collector value. The icing on the cake is that the car has a reputation of being bulletproof and very easy (by today's standards) to work on.

9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing a Black one with 5k miles last year at my dealer.
    $185k......

10. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Absent: Was that the car at Mancuso's?

11. LamboRider

LamboRider Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2011
    #11 LamboRider, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    There is too much similarity between the Alfa 8C, Maserati GT and Ferrari California to ever make the Alfa 8C collectible. Just because Ferrari of Seattle has gouged yet another buyer on price does not make a market, so don't drink their Kool Aid.

While the recent FOS award for Dealer of the year seems like an accolade, look at the criteria and you'll see profits are the most influential in attaining this award. They have begged Roy Cats for his used Ferrari inventory as FOS allotments on new cars have sunk in recent years.

So how do you raise profits with decreasing new inventory? Do the math, talk to buyers at E@RTC and you'll hear that $100k-$150k over list is not uncommon, or perhaps tell customers the used Alfa 8C is worth another $50k above market. Then there is their service department where even Rob Lay detected their tricks.

Just search in the Silver Section to find the thread about the poor Gent with the Scud where Ferrari of Seattle said his SCUD was denied warranty coverage for failed headers and FOS wanted to charge him $20k for parts on the factory headers. When he opted for lower priced Fabspeeds then FOS mysteriously said they could not fit properly. What is even more strange is that these same headers fit on 50 other of the same cars. (Ferrarichat link and sponsor name removed)
    Even Rob Lay could detect the truth about Ferrari of Seattle:
    "The Ferrari Authorized Dealer Mechanic (at Ferrari of Seattle) had it out for (vendor name removed) and this job from the beginning. They didn't get the high dollar OEM replacement job as they wanted, so instead blamed many fitment problems on (vendor name removed) and not his lack of experience and poor attitude from the beginning."

12. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I fail to see how any of the three are remotely similar in look or in experience.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jacques- I agree with you. No idea what that was all about, but the basic premise is fatally flawed, and the rest is just garbage and nothing to do with this thread.

14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

While the point of this thread is debatable, everything you wrote above is completely unrelated.

15. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I love the 8C, it's a beautiful car. And i think it might become collectible one day based on that alone (Look at BMW 507..$2M for a car that was never much more than a pretty face). To drive, the 8C leaves much to be desired unless the road is F1 track smooth and the gearbox is unfortunately very very dated. But the sound and the beauty still make it very desirable

16. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Terry, Andrew, Jacques: I have no idea why the individual chose to trash a specific dealer. My point is related to the changing perception of the collectibility of the cars, and the dealer mentioned just happened to be the seller for one of the recent sales.

I agree that the gearbox technology has been improved in the latest offerings from the manufacturers. However, the same can be said for the gearboxes from the 250, 275 and 365 series of Ferraris (their gearboxes are VERY dated). I live in Illinois and we have BAD roads (especially after this winter). I find the ride and handling to be very acceptible for a modern performance car. I am too old to drive hard (been there, done that), and the car is just great for me. Cars tend to represent a "point in time", and the 8C will, in the future, be seen as a special representative of it's era.

NYC Fred likes this.
  17. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Yes, i should have pointed out that it's when you are pushing it that the handling gets a little questionable on bad roads. The rear jumps a lot. If you are close to Chicago, please bring the car to the Winnetka Cars and Coffee on April 27 (Elm and Lincoln St).

Best!

18. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Yes.

19. MacGeek

MacGeek Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2007
    Torino, Italy
    Have you tried the Spider as well? I find it more surefooted. Weight distribution and center of gravity are better than in the Competizione, the biggest difference being the fuel tank, which has been moved lower down and inside the wheelbase on the Spider. And the lower unsprung weight helps too.

20. LamboRider

LamboRider Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2011
    The 8C engine, transmission and chassis are directly derviative from Ferrari/Maserati's design - this is not a pure Alfa innovation.
    I see many of the same curves in the fenders and cockpit placement in the 8C, Maserati and Ferrari. Not all, mind you, and not the front grill but put them side by side and you'll notice similarities. The 8C is a derivative car, not a ground up design by Alfa

One sale by a dealer known to charge exorbitant prices does not make a market.

As the 8C ages, where will you go for servicing and parts?

21. MacGeek

MacGeek Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2007
    Torino, Italy
    The engine is sure based on Maserati's 4.2 unit. The 4.7 version, though, was originally developed for the 8C, and adopter later on by Maserati. The chassis, too, is based on an evolved and shortened M139 (Quattroporte) platform. Little known fact is that the 8C project began just before the M145 (GranTurismo), and that the latter adopted many of the chassis tweaks developed for the former. As for it being a derivative design, I wouldn't say so. I'd rather say that the 8C inspired Ferrari and Maserati: keep in mind that the 8C was originally unveiled as a concept car in late 2003.

8Cs are serviced by select Ferrari/Maserati dealers.

22. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Lamborider: There have been at least four other sales in the same price range as the one I quoted. Two cars may be available at prices higher than the Seattle sale. This is the new market value. To you it may be exorbitant, but it is reality. I am sorry you apparently have a problem with the Seattle dealer. I have had no personal contact with them, and if I did, I would not choose to air my grievances in a public forum.

23. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I concur.

24. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Does anybody know the sale price of the 8C Competizione at the Coy's Auction in Monaco this weekend?

25. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    Sold for €201.600.