Pantera GT5-S | FerrariChat

Pantera GT5-S

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by secretcollector, Apr 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. secretcollector

secretcollector Karting

Aug 4, 2013
    The Motor City
    Might anyone know where I can find a very late model (late '80's) black car, in top condition, for sale? Looking fruitlessly for one lately.

Thanks,

Michael

2. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
  3. secretcollector

secretcollector Karting

Aug 4, 2013
    The Motor City
    Thank you. Really close but I am set on a S model.

4. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
  5. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
  6. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Send a PM to LashSS

7. secretcollector

secretcollector Karting

Aug 4, 2013
    The Motor City
    Thank you, I just did so.

8. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    There is a 1987 GT5-S for sale in the March POCA issue. Doesn't say what color it is though. You can PM me if you would like the Phone number. It is an Amerisport car.

9. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
  10. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #11 DenisC, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not black but a perfect beauty and it is for sale. Not mine

https://www.flickr.com/photos/102810426@N07/sets/72157639169285255/

Red Pantera GT5S:
    History:
    The Pantera is a 1973, custom built for a Ford executive by "Fat Jack" the famous hotrod builder, and then purchased by Jan as the executive needed room for a new GT40.

Publications:
    The car has been featured in nationwide magazines, including the September 2007 issue of Octane, and February 2007 issue of Classiccars, and also received attention in the November 2008 issue of Velocity.

Body:
    The car was built by the famous rod builder “Fat Jack”, using original factory GT5S steel flares and steel front air dam. Fat Jack did a complete restoration of the car, cutting out the stock body car fenders and welding on the wide GT5S flares, which is a very time consuming intricate process. The factory flares from Italy are much preferred over any of the aftermarket flares, but cost quite a lot more, in the range of $30,000 - $35,000 just for the metal alone. After the flares were applied, the car then underwent extensive prep work and finished in Ferrari Red Rosso Corsa basecoat & clear coat. Fat Jack obviously spent a great deal of time with the metal work and prep work prior to painting because the finish is so sharp you can see yourself clearly in the finish just like a mirror. It has also been modified with low profile halogen retractable headlamps, halogen driving lights within air dam, and Group 4 taillights. Front air shocks raise and lower the front of the car to avoid nasty driveway encounters.

It is interesting to note the misconceptions about Fat Jack. Many rumors indicate he is no longer alive, but his son from their shop in Lake Elsinore CA, he indicates Fat Jack is alive and doing well.

Engine & Engine Bay:
    The engine bay has been cleaned, smoothed and painted Ferrari Red Rosso Corsa to match the exterior car color. For those not familiar with Panteras, the engine bay originally came with an ugly heavy black undercoating, but this car has all that removed, smoothed and painted. This process is a dirty time consuming process, but well worth the time and effort to produce a show quality engine bay. The engine is a highly polished 417 CI Fontana aluminum block with 4.125 bore and 3.9 stroke. Russ Fulp Race Engines completed the build, with Ross Racing Pistons providing the forged aluminum pistons and Ed Iskenderian Racing Cams providing the radical solid lifter cam. Quite a lot has been done to the engine both cosmetically and performance-wise. It is estimated over 600 horsepower, with ported and polished aluminum heads, aluminum intake manifold. MSD ignition, with 7000 rev-limiter chip. The engine and related parts have undergone extensive polishing to produce a brilliant finish. A 10 qt. oil pan with trap doors is used. GT5 headers/exhaust are Jet Hot coated. ZF transmission and related parts are all highly polished, with the ring gear safety wired. Other custom additions include chromed half shafts, stainless steel gas tank, polished stainless steel firewall, and chromed AC condenser housing.

Interior:
    Dark charcoal color leather, V.D.O gauges, electric side mirrors, 4-point competition seat belts, custom red logo floor mats, dropped floor pans to accommodate taller drivers, cable driven power windows. The stereo system includes Kenwood KRC-535 receiver with hidden/rotating faceplate, four Blaupunkt speakers, and under the front hood is a Kenwood KRC-C667 six CD changer and a Crossfire 280 W amp. The front trunk contains new black felt, and a lowered battery box so that the CD changer and amp all fit nicely.

Suspension:
    Powder coated A arms, Aldan fully adjustable aluminum shocks, one inch rear sway bar front and rear, with sphere bars and full cover rear DeTomaso sway bar plate, urethane bushings.

Wheels, Tires and Cooling System:
    Billet aluminum wheels, with 10.5 X 17 front and 13.5 X 17 rear, in perfect shape, inside and outside of the wheels are highly polished. Tires are Michelin brand with 245/40 ZR 17 front and 355/35 ZR 17 rear. Cooling system is aluminum Fluidyne with stainless steel water tubes, polished stainless water & overflow tanks and aluminum water pump.

Driving Experience & Other Thoughts:
    The car is a blast to drive, although it is a true show car and therefore only driven for maintenance every couple of weeks or to car shows. The aluminum block, aluminum heads and other lightweight aluminum parts make the car noticeably lighter when driving. The front air dam and rear wing are very functional parts on the car at high speed. Once you begin to enter greater speeds you can really feel the car squat down tighter to the pavement for even better handling. There is no sneaking around in this car. When you drive expect lots of thumbs up and your own personal instant car show wherever you stop. This is the only custom built 1973 GT5S show car with the rare Fontana aluminum engine in existence, and anyone in the Pantera community will attest this is one of the best in the world.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Nice, you know the price & phone on that red GT5S ?

12. fast&faster

fast&faster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern Ca
    Full Name:
    Stephen Mark
    Would SERIOUSLY DOUBT $30,000.00-$35,000.00 for "Factory Flares"!!!...what year was the $35,000.00(?) for flares spent?!

I also like the "Estimated over 600hp". Why not spend a few hundred dollars & DYNO the motor??!!

13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Magnificent car, but show car I bet. You just can't keep them that perfect on street and especially track. I would not trust it to go far or fast for long, and I bet it has not seen a track, dyno or crpss-country trip, but I suspect none of that is the mission. I have also never been a fan of the "delta wing" as too much of a Countach wannabe. And for me, those pimp seats will have no headroom. I pretty much need an Elise seat unless the car has dropped floor pans. I had a 1972 "pre-L" with the tiny non DOT bumpers and 8" front and 10" rear wheels stuffed under stock bodywork and that was fine by me. I used to lust after the GT5 versions and nowadays I don't like those any more than AC Cobras. Just try those 10" wide front wheels in a parking lot! I am getting old, but now crave light weight

14. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    History note: Gandi sold the flare & Delat design to DeTomaso much BEFORE he even offered it to Lamborghini. So we should say that Pantera wing on the Countach :)

15. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Back in the early 1990's a set of factory GT5-S fenders were running around $20,000. So if he purchased them later than that, that number could be possible. Not to mention getting a skilled body man to weld them to the car. A factory Delta wing was not cheap either that was why the aftermarket started making them in fiberglass. Hall Pantera came out with a GT5-S kit that was significantly cheaper but you had to use half of your own fenders to make it work.

16. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    …..or a non skilled body man

They remind me of the flairs used on the Lincoln Mercury Capri's

17. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Exterior color black metallic
    Leather bordeaux new
    Base vehicle Pantera GTS
    rebuilt with work authorization to Group 5 specification
    all invoice documents available
    Group 5 flares
    Group 5 brake system
    Engine completely overhauled (2,000 km after overhaul)
    13x15 rims with 345/40VR15 rear tires (new)
    10x15 rims with tires 285/35VR15 front (new)
    large inspection in 2010 new
    good history starting with Detomaso new car invoice
    Features created in 2010 - H

18. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The body flares are more like a 288 GTO.

19. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Did this car sell?

20. Mark Charlton

Mark Charlton Karting

Jul 17, 2006
    Ottawa, ON
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Assuming you are referring to the black German car, even if it did, it is not likely an "actual" GT5-S. De Tomaso didn't start building GT5-S models until almost 10 years after this car's 1976 build year. I suspect this was a modified body car.

Mark

21. SEESPOTRUN

SEESPOTRUN Karting

Mar 26, 2010
    The Detomaso Pantera GT5/S was first being constructed in November of 1984. That construction was beginning as the GT5 construction was winding down. The reception of the GT5/S was not as favorable as the GT5. The sales of the GT5 Panteras were strong and pre orders for the upcoming GT5/S fell flat.

It was stated to the director of Detomaso at the time, that the GT5/S was not on par with the GT5 because the Gt5 favored the look of the Lamborghini Countach S. In 1984/1985 some of the comments for the GT5/S were that the fender design was too similar to the then available 944 Porsche.

We know that the Detomaso Pantera GT5/S did not look like a 944,but perhaps some see the fender design similarities. The Gt5 was a much more desired design. The Gt5 had more of an aggressive look along with its superwide stance ( like the lamborghini) and the look of the then Group 5 race cars.

The GT5 was introduced in 1980..... Detomaso did not make a GT5 prior to 1980 and if you want to certify any Gt5 or late production Pantera.... the last 4 of the vin start in the 9000 series. The first GT5/S cars came out in 1985.

22. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Looks like someone knows their Detomaso's. Good job.:)

23. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #24 WILLIAM H, Nov 2, 2014
    Got mine, it's 74 w GT5S flares, I need to lower it & fix AC otherwise it's great

Now that it's cooled off at MIA I can actually drive it more often
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #25 WILLIAM H, Nov 2, 2014