Pantera GT/4 race car found in San Diego decades ago | FerrariChat

Pantera GT/4 race car found in San Diego decades ago

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bitzman, Apr 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Apparently the Pantera GT/4 (one of 14 built) found in San Diego decades ago is now restored and appearing at events and looking good (see this website

Ron Hyde's De Tomaso Cars Page - Group 4 Pantera's)

but I am assembling a brief history of 2432 and now down to only couple facts left to check with those with long memories. I talked to Bill Hohenhorst, one of the two San Diego barn finders who found it but it was so long ago I can't remember what he paid for the car and what newspaper he found it it (Auto Trader? San Diego Union Tirbune?) I heard more recently that he and his partner on the car traded a stock street Pantera for it instead of laying out cash. When they sold it , it was reportedly for a racing Mustang ready to race. This was when a clean street Pantera was worth maybe $30,000.

If anybody knows more of the story on how they got that car, I think we racing Pantera fans would love to hear it. Or even opinions on why Ford so ignored DeTomaso's racing program when racing victories would have spurred sales in the U.S. Didn't they ever hear the phrase "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday?"

PS I shot that picture on that website listed above of the stacked up GT/4 racing cars in a rubbish pile at DeTomaso's factory when I was over there to test drive the Longchamp (damn Bertocchi scared me to death, he was later killed demonstrating a car to a customer). That picture shows how "worthless" old race cars were after their racing days were over...

Cordially

Wallace Wyss