Candy Pantera 2862 genuine Gp. 4 car | FerrariChat

Candy Pantera 2862 genuine Gp. 4 car

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bitzman, May 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    It was dark blue with flared fenders, the deep dish gold Campy wheels, the whole nine yards.
    Last I heard it was owned by Patrick Hals (not sure of spelling) in Belgium. I originally was under the mis-impression that this was the one that was bought by Bill Hohenhorst of the San Diego Pantera group out of an ad in the San Diego paper with a partner but when I read the two websites I found on Candy, I find no mention that it spent time in the States before being brought over to Seattle .

One of the two websites on the car created by Patrick Hals is:
    DE TOMASO PANTERA GROUP 4. Built 1972 says

"This is one of the 14 full race factory lightweight cars ( VIN 2862 ) known as the CANDY car in the USA. Built 5-29-1972. I bought this car 2005 at the Retromobile exhibition in Paris.. It took me ten minutes to find an agreement with her then owner Bill COTTER, together with Claude DUBOIS, the ex DT importer for Benelux in the 70’s. I agreed with Bill to buy the car, subject to an inspection in Seattle, Washington. Bill TRIGAUX ( owner of factory Le Mans VIN 2860 ) was sent on my behalf from South Carolina where he’s now retired, to Seattle. Guy called me after the inspection and told me : “if you don’t buy the car immediately, I will”. And that was it, as simple as that."

I wanted to check on the history of the car and wonder if anyone has an e-mail address for

Patrick Hals
    Bill Cotter
    Claude DuBois
    Bill Trigaux

Also I remember being at a vintage race, perhaps Monterey, where the Candy Pantera had a crunch from the back, caused some wrinkling in the area behind the driver. Anybody remember who was the owner then?

Shelby buffs might remember the name DuBois, he imported Shelbys and Cobras to Europe and even sponsored/or raced a '67 Shelby Mustang at LeMans (DNF'd). He also created the Shelby Europa models. I think he was also a racing Pantera dealer.

Now the car is doing fine, at many vintage events and I think with its documentation as one of the original 14 race cars, it is almost a million dollar car. Annoying is that someone else has cloned the SN but that car is not as race prepareed and well documented.

2. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I am pretty sure this car was owned by David and Linda Adler who used to own Pantera International.

3. Pantera1889

Pantera1889 Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2006
    Maryland
    Patrick Hals owns the "Candy" Gp4 race (#2862) car as well as the "Andy" GT4 road car (#2342). I believe that he was planning to sell 2342 but I'm not sure if that even happened.

Here is a link to information on #2862) DE TOMASO PANTERA GROUP 4. Built 1972

He also is the owner of the ADA Pantera (9628) which was raced at LeMans in the '90s.

Dave and Linda Adler are the owners of the "whiplash" Pantera Gp.5.5 Race car (http://www.panteracars.com/whipkba.jpg) which I believe started life as a Gp3 race car. They own several other DeTomaso race cars but I don't think that they ever owned 2862.

Ron

4. AGP22

AGP22 Rookie

Oct 24, 2006
    You can run a search on facebook for candy pantera and you should find Patrick Hals easily.