Detomaso 5000 | FerrariChat

Detomaso 5000

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Jalpa_Mike, Jun 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jalpa_Mike

Jalpa_Mike F1 Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sequim
    Full Name:
    Michael Wilson
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Is that the car Caroll Shelby turned down?

I think De Tomaso had that car built hoping for Shelby to race it in CanAm.

Hence the Pete Brock connection (he designed the Cobra Daytona).

At the time, the rumour was that Ford blocked the deal, and Shelby had the King Cobra instead.

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
  4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  5. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    How 'bout that steering rack between the pedals?!
    Shel was brave, shrewd.

6. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #6 DenisC, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    FWIW Here is the foot box on the Mangusta. Never had the steering shaft impede on my driving. What I find most surprising in this car are the coolant tubes running inside the car rather than under or in the torque box. Shelby was long out of the picture by the time this car was built. Pete Brock was on his own venture too.

This car and its older siblings discussed in Vallelunga thread post 72 to 100
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/other-italian/71054-de-tomaso-vallelunga-4.html

No, this is not he car Pete Brock designed, it is a revised version as the original design did not meet the 1965 (?) FIA (?) requirements.(wipers, signal lights, doors ect) Three (3) DeT cars are attributed to Pete but only the middle one is actually HIS; the first body had major scale issues mainly between seat and steering wheel, the second he actually built alongside Medardo Fantuzzi and this third version which has many similarities.

Afterwards Giugiaro also used similar design in the Sport 1000 and 2000 but the cars are at a smaller scale have small CC engine and almost look like gokarts.

I had looked at the P70 and Sport5000 in 2009 (?) while they were at VDV Grant, was very much interested in the P70 but decided to pass

At the time VDV Wanted $1M per, current asking for this one is in the $2M range.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great looking car. Definitely crafted at a time before CAD, when beautiful cars had to pass the eyeball test. Some of the engineering choices erred on the side of beauty. Things are different now, not necessarily better.

Shelby was destined to be a team owner. Staying with someone else's team, racing for glory, was only going to take him so far.