Alfa to come with 911 killer | FerrariChat

Alfa to come with 911 killer

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Bas, Aug 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  2. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    That would be great...but as an Italian and Alfa fan, I have little hope left after so many empty promises.

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Considering ever Porsche could not kill the 911, I doubt that Alfa stands any chance at all. Nice looking car but limited production, limited dealer network, and limited reputation for quality would not make it too high on my list.

4. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    The much lighter 4C cannot compete with the Boxter... I fail to see how Alfa can compete with the 911 - seeing as much more valued brands failed in that.

5. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Unfortunately, I tend to agree.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    IMO with the 4c they choose the wrong engine. A small 4 cilinder is not going to hold up to the noise of a flat 6.

To make this car successful it needs a V8. It should compete with the F type much more rather than the 911.

7. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    #7 mikelfrance, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The 911 is unique.
    No other car comes near it: overhang rear engine in flat configuration ....

I hope Porsche keeps it for ever.

9. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Yawn………..they can't even figure out how to market the 4C in the USA?

10. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #10 velocetwo, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Report: Maserati-Based Alfa Romeo 6C to Target Jaguar F-Type

"The Alfa Romeo 6C’s styling will have to set the bar high to get on the same level as the gorgeous Jaguar, and this new sports car’s look will reportedly share certain elements with the related Maserati Alfieri. The Alfa Romeo version is said to sport a more aggressive front end, although the greenhouse and rear ends of the two cars could look similar. That’s no bad thing, as the Maserati Alfieri concept from earlier this year drew praise from our design editor Robert Cumberford, who called it “a dramatic and beautiful contemporary GT.”
    We’re wondering how the Alfa Romeo 6C and Maserati Alfieri will avoid stepping on each other’s toes given the similarities in styling and powertrain, but it seems like the Alfieri will go for broader appeal with its optional all-wheel drive; the Alfa Romeo 6C will be a more exclusive model with a limited production run capped at a few thousand units. Earlier this year, when Fiat Chrysler Automobiles revealed its five-year product plan, a new "specialty" vehicle was listed for Alfa Romeo in the 2016-2018 timeframe, which almost certainly corresponds to this model.
    Stay tuned to hear more about this upcoming Alfa Romeo sports car that should offer style and performance to spare."

It’s a new corporate world for Maserati & Alfa Romeo.
    Now a marque's name is just another trinket to be used as seen fit to move units I guess?

Treasure your old cars. Though the newer ones are undoubtedly better built and some may perform more admirably I fear the marque’s identity is being smothered.

If this is accurate it does sound like they'll be trampling all over each other's potential customers with this car at least.

The 4C is unique this seems like the old Buick-Olds-Chevy similar models approach?

12. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    What is the strategical benefit for Alfa Romeo to limit the production of 6C? Shouldn't they just accept any and every order they can get? It's not like the factories are running on overtime these days. Probably just marketing for creating a hype.

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If it's a differently styled Maserati why make it at all unless it's going to be a handling biased car through suspension tuning vs a GT oriented car for the Maserati? Thing is, Maserati fans were told the Alfieri was going to be their sports car?

Just sounds like more BS.

Maybe Maserati should call theirs the Funghi?

14. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    This will be the best looking car in its segment by a wide margin but will most definitely be under powered as compared to its nearest competitors, will have a Dual Clutch gearbox that will magically shift slower than Ferrari's F1 box from 2008 and will have a setup that will have a rubbish ride on track and the road......

I really hope Alfa proves me wrong as I love the way Alfas look!

15. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Original:

Translation:

;)

16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I agree. Seems they never get it just right.

17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well you can't offer a high quality and really wonderfully driving car at less than 1/3 the price of the Ferrari, that's what Porsche is for. Oh wait ...

18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    You really mean the Italian's can't I take it :)

You have to remember Alfa was run by both car lovers and the Italian government bean counters from after the second world war until 1986 when FIAT took them over. FIAT, well they mess everything they touch up. I hope they bury Alfa deep within the production/R&D side of Maserati/Alfa or FIAT will mess them up again!!

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The 6c is really the old 8c. Take a heavy masser coupe and reclothe it.

What is needed is a 6c version of the 4c, ie put the 6c engine in the 4c, that woudl be somethign woth buying.

20. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I fundamentally see nothing wrong with re-clothing if done right. Perfect example is Lamborghini Gallardo and Audi R8. Same engine but the two cars could not be more different. It's all about the execution and unfortunately execution at Alfa has been horrific so far.

I still for the life of me cannot understand why the 4C did not have Ferrari's input in tuning. It should have been a baby Ferrari (like a modern Dino). At $70k (fully loaded) it's nowhere near Ferraris' bracket to challenge it and given it's limited run it should have had more of that special Ferrari magic!

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    One word, Arrogance

Another thought, alfa still thinks the clients are stupid and they can sell cars based on italian flair.

The difference in slaes numbers between saya fiat 500 and a mini might indicate that it takes more than Italian flair these days to sell cars.

22. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    The 500 is doing great, from what I recall. One of the biggest Italian successes of the last years.

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    In the USA way way off target.

In europe it does ok because people naturaly buy small cars. Here it was and is trageted as a premium small car like the mini, only its not.

24. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    In that case, huge mistake. Here (Europe) it's a cool alternative to other cheap econo boxes. The Mini is on average a little more expensive. Both are great car models, with legendary predecessors, but the Mini is much more fun to drive (true to tradition).

25. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    "The difference in slaes numbers between saya fiat 500 and a mini might indicate that it takes more than Italian flair these days to sell cars."

Are you talking world wide sales or in the US?

Because in the US, the FIAT 500 is outselling the Mini:

Sales of Fiat 500 hatchback and Cabrio models reached 3,328 for June, about the same as last month. The Fiat 500 Abarth Cabrio enjoyed a 130 percent year-over-year sales increase, the strongest sales gain of any Fiat 500 model for the month. Below is a look at how sales of the Fiat 500 stack up against its popular competitors:

•Fiat 500 June sales = 3,328, year-to-date total = 18,179
    •VW Golf June sales = 2,528 year-to-date total = 11,469
    •MINI Cooper June sales = 3,238, year-to-date total = 12,604
    •Hyundai Veloster June sales = 2,554 year-to-date total = 14,970