The new King of Italian Sports Cars - but it beats with a German Heart! | FerrariChat

The new King of Italian Sports Cars - but it beats with a German Heart!

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Long Beach Pride, Sep 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    I'm talking about Pagani of course. The only thing this Car Company doesn't posses is a long line of cars that goes back to the early 50's. But there is no denying the ability of the car's that have come so far from this company. Even though the company's name sake is from Argintina, he moved to Italy because that's where all the talent he needed was located. That, and let's face it Pagani wanted to go head to head with Ferrari for the consumer market.

Their current offering The Huayra has a 6.0L, V12 twin turbo producing 720BHP and 740 pound feet of torque. I know power isn't everything - the FF and F12 Berlinetta are doing about the same outputs. But before the Huayra came out and I saw the Zonda on BBC's Top Gear I've never heard a street car that sounded like an actual Formula 1 car; truly amazing. And now with the Huayra the engineer's were trying to make the exhause sound like fighter jet but to me it still sounds like an older V10 F1 car; not the new cars with all the new power recovery devices.

But I missed the boat on the LaFerrari and the P1 - I would rather have an 918 since it's more of a daily driver. I am more of a Porsche guy in the first place.
    I'm about to put down a payment on a Huayra. The dealership even stated that they would include a trip to Italy for me to get fitted for the car since I'm so tall at no additional cost and to have the car designed to my liking. At about $1.3MM per copy they are willing to bend over backwards.

I just can't wait to see how fast a real race car driver can get this one around ring.

2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I am pretty sure I speak for everyone here, but would love to hear about and SEE all details of your car acquisition. Sounds amazing to have a car 'fitted' around you! Bravo!

3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The Pagani people are really great. Did a tour there in 2012. Saw multiple Zonda Rs, A Tricolore, Huayras in various stages of construction. Even witnessed Lewis Hamilton's Zonda fire up for the first time. The people were very coy when we saw it was a three pedal and asked if it was his. :)

A true work of art those cars. Much better purchase than a LaFerrari, P1, or 918 IMO.

4. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    Wanted to get in on the ground floor of a car that would have very little depreciation value and would hold that value. I am not a collector by any stretch of the imagination and this car will be well driven like Rowen Atkin's F1 McLaren who had over 30K miles when he wrecked it. And subsequently fixed by his insurance for a record £900K which would have normally been scrapped. But when a car is worth about 3 to 4 times the amount of how much it cost to fix it, well... Since then those F1 McLarens have literally doubled in Value. If I wasn't a college kid when the F1 McLaren came out it would have been on the bucket list. But now they are trading at around $6MM-$8MM

Have friends who say just get a Veyron but to me they are just too much of an Over Engineered Volkswagen. And it's funny how many people get Buyer's Remorse after buying one. Just see Jenson Button's interview on Top Gear, the one on BBC that is. It's way over powered and overweight. It's suppose to be this awesome car but when you finally drive it you don't get that sense. You get this feeling that you are driving an extremely well behaved Lexus until you put your foot into it. Anyone can drive this car and beyond having a *****en interior you would never know that you're driving the fastest car in the world, that is after VW disables the governor.

Now when you sit in a car like a 458 for example you know it means business. When I had a chance to be a passenger in a Zonda and that engine came alive with the sound of that engine the first words that came out of my mouth was "Holy ****". You knew the car meant business. When I found out that the Huayra was coming to the States I knew right then what I wanted. The LaFerrari I didn't like how it looked, besides I am not good enough to be on their Fart-Sniffer list of potential buyers. Besides the interior is too Spartan for a car costing as much. The McLaren P1 is too organic looking and like all the new McLarens look too much alike - besides have you seen how quickly the early adoptors OD the MP4-12C are abandoning them, I'm not saying the same thing will happen to the P1. Then Finally the Porsche 918 is the only car out of the Ultra-Super Hybrid cars I would own. If I can find one for less than $450K in the following years might give it a thought. But off the line the fastest car is the Porsche because of it's AWD. But I'm not saying it would win a race around the Ring.

5. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    #5 Long Beach Pride, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    PS if anyone would like a PDF of the Huayra's sales Brochure just send me an email of your email address. Personally I think it's a little deficient for it's Target audience and in comparison to other sales brochures from other car companies. I don't think Pagani has the PR department the size of say a company like Lexus or Mercedes.

6. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    I live in Belmont Shore....I expect to see that thing parked in front of Aroma di Roma as soon as it arrives!

7. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Congrats,
    And I thank you for sharing the details and your thoughts about your well-considered choice. Being more classically oriented, it's just plain refreshing to get a glimpse into your down to earth thought process. The mind of a totally modern gear head. Kudos.

Best wishes, it sounds like you'll thoroughly enjoy it!
    - Art

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The Zonda is without shadow of doubt my favourite car. I could go on about it for days and still not be finished.

Both are incredibly well put together, better than any other car IMO. Fit/Finish is the best of anything. Customer service is impeccable.

The only thing that disappoints me on the Huayra is the noise it makes...I just love the schriek the Zonda's with the titanium/inconel exhaust makes, everything else is a bit of a disappointment to that though. Sadly because of emissions they didn't really have a choice. I would love to see how the evolve the Huayra in the next 10 years.

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The Zonda is the Mclaren F1 of the modern era.

10. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Without doubt. There are millions of dreamers out there with the Zonda as their favorite car. Wouldn't be surprised to see 3M-5M $ Zondas a decade from now, they are climbing by hundreds of thousands every year.

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'd love to have a copy. What is your email?

I'm in Marketing, have done plenty of brochures, ask if they are hiring!!! :D:D:D:D:D

12. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    #12 Long Beach Pride, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    In a decade, when people realize that Pagani is the New Ferrari, you will no not doubt see those Zonda's going for more than that! The Zonda's will be the GTO/GTB-N.A.R.T's. of our generation since 90% of them are bespoke and most of the people buying them take a trip to Italy to get fitted for them. At least that is what the dealer I'm working with wants me to do.

The McLaren F1 was the right car at the right time. It just took a little while for the prices to get to where they are now. Only around 10-15 years - and that was back when McLaren didn't have an engine for their street cars, thanks BMW!

13. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    +1

I have often thought about this and I couldn't agree more. Im 32 years old. I love the glory days of Ferrari that were before my time, and the F50 was the rage when I was in elementary school, but the car I long for and would love to own someday (besides that F50) is a Zonda. I really think it will go down in history as the GTO of the 21st century. There just isn't anything else out there like it.

14. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Dang, you were one old elementary school kid...

15. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    LOL, I was 12 when it started being a big deal. That was probably 6th or 7th grade. All the same school k-7th where we lived at that time.

Thanks for doing the math for me ;)

16. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Agreed it is the Bizzarrini of it's day

17. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    #17 Long Beach Pride, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Very cool - the craftsmanship in these cars is without peer, no doubt.

Good luck with it - post pics when you get it!!

19. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    That's going to be months down the road. Talking about longer than Porsche's Paint To Sample which can add anywhere from 6-9+ months to your delivery. But each car is Bespoke.

20. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    Current Girlfriend likes "Cafe la Strada" most of all out all the eatteries on 2nd Street.

And to think I use to work at the Starbuck on the North Side of the Street back in 94-95; thats when I still lived in North Long Beach on the Border of Compton (went to Jordan High School just think of the building with the Panther painted on the side of it when you're driving on the 710 or 91 freeways) My friend who helped me get the job there went on to get his College degree at LBSU or CSULB and now he flys Super Hornets in the Navy. Now that is one job I wouldn't mind trading to do instead of Pagani Ownership!

I will be going to Europe next week but it won't be for the fitting. Business is calling my name in Estonia and I must go. I hate flying for business - isn't this what Go To Meeting was invented for? Just joking but I have to be present for some of the management hirings, IT specifically. The funny thing about IT hiring to non IT management is they will hire anyone who can BS their way through the interview process. Sometimes these HR people will hire anybody. How does the saying go, "You can major in Gameboy if you know how to bull****"?

Sorry, going off topic. But one of my friend's offered me his 993 Turbo S with 12K miles for only $75K. Told him to wait a few days so I could get back in town and the butthole sold it for $60K. I was like "Son of a *****". My friend would not convey why he needed to sell the car so fast. But I missed one heeluva deal.

21. scuderia92

scuderia92 Formula Junior

May 23, 2013
    Pagani is awesome! I have been to a factory tour last year and the passion these guys put into their production is just amazing. Even the entrance hall, Horacio is just an artist.

Does anybody know the ownership structure of Pagani?

22. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    #22 Long Beach Pride, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    I just think it's Horacio who is President & CEO & Creative Director of course. From there I imagine it's your standard smaller company with CFO, COO, CIO and what not. I wouldn't want Pagani at the board level to grow too much bigger. Too many many hands in the mix can really screw up a vision. Like having too many chef's can thin the soup. Just keep the ownership private and never go IPO so it can't get acquired by Volkswagen and they will be fine. You only need one person at the top calling the shots creatively and to keep the vission of the company and cars on track, no pun intended, and everything will be just fine.

I would like Pagani to keep the scale of production and size of clientele where it's at so they can continue to create and produce driver's cars without peers.

23. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Love Paganis

760RS for me :)

24. scuderia92

scuderia92 Formula Junior

May 23, 2013
    Fully agree.

25. JChoice

JChoice Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JC
    The SMG is a BMW transmission and no small company is going to have a CIO- or really even a CFO or COO for that matter.

The company is 60 people total. If you order one today, you can have it by March/April. It's not more than 6 - 9 months. It can be very bespoke but there's no "fitting" process for the car.

You sound like a young person trying to sound sophisticated beyond his years. What late 30's guy references his high school so vividly and can't recall the name of a university that's in his own town.

I got all excited for a min that I was actually gonna follow someone else's build. ;)

Kudos to you for being a passionate car guy. Keep with it, follow your dreams, and hustle and I'm sure one day you really will order a Pagani...!