Fiat 500 long-term reliability | FerrariChat

Fiat 500 long-term reliability

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Ron328, Oct 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I am leasing my Fiat 500 Sport (manual) for 2 years (started in Jan 2014). 2 years bec. I am not sure about its long-term reliability. The car has been so much fun to drive and hasn't given me problems to date. I drive about 18k miles a year to work. What has your experience been?

Ron

2. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    On the flip side I bought a new Mini S, put about 3500 miles on it so far, and it's had it's share of glitches.

Warning for headlight misadjustment
    TPS sensors showed zero air in all four tires (I reset it and it takes 30 minutes to recalculate!)
    Low oil indicator (but it was normal)

Also the electric power steering is really funny feeling. Sometimes a low speeds it feels light as a feather. Sometimes it sort of vibrates in your hand just off center. And when you go full lock, the end is like there is no power steering at all.

So much for German efficiency.

3. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    We have an Abarth with 21000 trouble free miles. I agree, they are very fun to drive. Especially in traffic.

4. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    has a very poor record. the Hummer, then Land Rover were the worse, Mini was third. the only thing that will help it's rank. bring on the GM cars

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

I owned a 2009 Abarth for 3 years driven daily no matter the weather. No issues at all in Germany on the Autobahn, moutain tours etc. G-tech tuned and driven fully but always professionally maintained. I think you will be fine with the 500. Its a good machine!

6. 707

707 Karting

May 29, 2014
    Full Name:
    Alex
    A really good buddy of mine has a Fiat 500. He loved it when he first bought it and takes really good care of the car but now he hates it. Its a 2011 Fiat 500 and it has around 128,000 km on it. He drives alot for work reasons. The thing is literally falling apart on him. For some reason it loves to rust even though he must have washed and wax the thing every month. He has bought small custom parts like whiter lights,

He went to the dealership but because the mileages it was out of warranty. The customer service rep said it was the first car she has seen out of warranty.

1) Seat rest broke. He tried going to the dealership to order one, they told him he had to switch the entire seat out for a discounted price of $2100. So he had to make a couple parts himself and put it back on.

2) The back truck hinge has a design flaw where it is too thin and the impact of the trunk can cause it be bend slightly which causes to rust. It is now apparently eating though towards the trunk safety detection system.

3) It started rusting near the back wheel well.

4) He had his radiator replaced because rust ate though the hose connection. The rep felt sorry for him and told him they will replace the part and he can pay for labor.

7. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I have a little over 26k miles on my Abarth without any real issues. It's a cheap car, I wasn't expecting a BMW, so it fills the role for which I bought it.

Mark

8. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Had my 2013 Abarth daily-driver for 23 months/22,500 miles now, and it has been bullet-proof so far. Nothing other than oil/filter changes.
    Still looks new, but that's in part because it's garaged day and night and otherwise well looked after.

9. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    24k in 12 Abarth. zero issues.
    Friend has one. Getting it into 1st gears issues. Dealer cant fix. sunroof glitchy

10. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron
    There's quite a few, I'd say, happy Abarth owners here. Good to know.

I don't have sunroof on mine. I'd probably avoid this is an Italian car. I have a feeling they're bound to fail. Just a matter of time.

11. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I use my sunroof very often- so far, so good.

12. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    I had a 500 Pop manual for about 1.5 years and 15,000 miles.

The badges started to bubble and were replaced under warranty. The shifter boot tore away at the base and needed to be replaced under warranty. Something with the seat back broke and was replaced under warranty. The rear tires started to wear funny at about 6,000 miles. It took me about 3,000 more miles to convince the dealer something was wrong. Through one of the online forums I found out that this was an issue with the early 2012 cars having a bent rear axle. They replaced it and the tires under warranty.

The car would pogo up and down on certain stretches of road that had expansion joints placed perfectly to induce a funny oscilation. The car bounced up and down on the suspension about 3-4"s.

The Blue and Me wireless interface is probably the best I have used in any car. It automatically downloads and updates your phone book each time you get in and you can voice dial anyone in your phone book fairly reliably. Something I haven't had a lot of success with in other cars.

I love the very europeanish feel of the car. The rubbery shifter feel, the really long clutch uptake etc... I miss being able to grab parking spaces that would be unusable in other cars.

Some days I miss the little Italian. Other days I am glad it is gone. I leased mine for the same reason you did, worry about reliability and resale. Turned it in a year or so early to get something more substantial.

13. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    +1

Me too.

Mark

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have had my 2013 Abarth for 7 months, and I love the little bug. It had every option but the silly nav system and it is now far from stock (with more left to be done) I push it pretty had and I have had zero issues with it.

15. Rosso Veloce

Rosso Veloce Karting

Feb 14, 2012
    Maryville, TN
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Everything but the 2012s are incredibly reliable and well-built. The later model year the better I would say. They really got their act together with the new 2015s. They are noticeably superior in just about every way.

All of them are really fun to drive, especially the manuals. If you can stretch for an Abarth, do it. They are INSANELY fun to drive!

16. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    put me down as another happy Abarth owner, my 2013 model now has 34,000 miles, over two years of ownership as a DD and autocross car, no issues.

17. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    I bought a base pop manual when they first came to the US, back when you had to order an abarth and if dealers had them on the lots they had high mark ups. I sold that pop in 3 months and 7k miles, it was a great car but the lack of any power started to drive me insane , even though it was a commuter car. I recently purchased an abarth about three weeks ago and it's the perfect fun little commuter car. Spring for an abarth

18. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Have my 2013 since last Feb, have about 4,500 miles now just mainly back and forth to work. Always look forward to my am commute. Just a fun little car to tool around in, stereo is not bad although it could be better. Puts a grin on your face from startup mainly due to no muffler. Sunroof does not leak although is noisy in full open position over 40mph. Has been a blast to drive. Wish it had the new 2015 gauge cluster and hopefully in the near future they will have a better NAV setup.

The discounts they offer on these things is ridiculous, 27.5k list and got got 7k off...How can u go wrong for 20k. Picked up wheels and snows which I need to mount in the next couple of weeks. Getting about 32mpg with what I would say is aggressive driving, not hard. Look forward to the Future Spyder.

19. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron

I assume yours is an Abarth, too. Mine is just the 500 Sport. 11k + miles to date. Totally a fun car to drive except for being slow. But reliability is my main concern bec I drive long distance to work.

20. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Yes, Abarth. Not the fastest but more than enough to be fun, could use another 25-40hp.

21. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Guess they don't make 'em like they used to... my 1969 version is still going strong!

22. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    picking up a 15 retro special edition in baby blue next week. hope its reliable but im a glutton for punishment since ive had plenty of experience with range rover, mini, jaguar. all rated worst of worst with service almost hour from my house. been lucky so far. we will see with fiat

23. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Nothing is like a Range rover

Have you already purchased? If not take a look at a turbo or Abarth, the lack of power in the N/A car will get to you and you can find new leftover Abarths for cheap.

24. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Wife wants the retro one for fantasy driving amalfi coast w marcello mastriani instead of long island w me

25. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Ex husband complained I loved the Fiat more than him... "more reliable!" was my reply!