GTV or GTV6? | FerrariChat

GTV or GTV6?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Dizengoff, Apr 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    I'm pondering a vintage Alfa purchase. I'm trying to decide between the GTV6 and the GTV. Any advice?

2. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    GTV as in 105/115 coupe, or as in 2-liter Alfetta GT?

3. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    105/115 coupe. Preferably a hot rod build.

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So it's a choice between a 105/115 coupe or GTV6 that you're pondering?

Two very different cars.

5. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    Yeah, it's a challenge because they're rare enough that it's not so easy to test drive them and see...

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Go to Italian car events, join the Alfa club, smooze a lot and maybe an invite will come? ;)

When I was a pup, relatively speaking, I called up several Maserati owners and spoke to them about their cars via the club register. I got rides & drives from some very nice people who ended up becoming friends of mine. The alfa community may be a bit different than that today I don't know. But it's worth the effort.

I had a GTV6 for 3 or 4 years, horrid gearbox transaxle. Mine was an 82 I think there were upgrades so make certain that's happened. Synchros perished very quickly. Oil pressure tensioner bearing for cambelt would leak, I don't know if they upgraded that to a mechanical?.

The dash is a typical mode 70s cheapo design as are things like the sunroof and window seals etc. The AC stinks if that's important, all Italians cars sucked at that back then. I really liked the body flaring updated design though and mine was in dark grey flaring with silver paint and that always looked sharp. The engine had a nice sound and other than the cam belt and tensioner it gave no issues.

7. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    If you are "hot-rodding", then I would go with a GTV6, and do a 24v V6, possibly the 3.2 liter GTA engine, transplant. Put the RSR suspension on, and get a limited slip transaxle from a Milano Platinum with increased lock-up to 50% of the LSD. Add the Giro-disc brake-kit with vented rears and you'll be all set :)

8. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    GTV hands down. Not the fastest car on the road and have gone up alot recently, but great car.

9. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    That sounds appealing, but I prefer to buy a car that has everything done already. That way I'll be getting the parts/labor at a steep discount compared to what the previous owner would've spent.

I prefer the look of the GTV over the GTV 6. The GTV 6 looks nice from the front but the back says "Datsun B210" to me.

I've got my eye on this one:

1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 GTV for sale #1659002 | Hemmings Motor News

Not sure about how hard it is to bring it across the border. I dig those Panasports though.

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I like the 1968-1969 1750 GTV and the early Alfetta 1981-1983 GTV6's best as the trim on them is a lot better looking. The Alfetta GTV6 is rarer that the GTV 1750/2000 as they only made around 18,000. The made around 40,000 of the 1750 and 2000 GTV's each for a total of almost 80,000.

The V6 2.5 motor in the GTV6 is a lot better sounding and has a lot more power.

I have both a 1750 GTV and a GTV6.

11. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    Thanks for that info.

What about rust on the GTV6? I've heard the Soviet made steel they used wasn't so great.

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I would say both cars rust about the same. They did weld the front wheel well inner fenders on the GTV6 together in a way that causes almost certain rust as water gets trapped over the years, unless the car was never driven in the rain/snow. The Alfetta GTV was the worst as they did use more Russian Steel in the late 1970's. Kind of funny, but on my Balocco GTV6 I found a communist union flyer under the original spare wheel.

13. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    There's a GTV6 and an Alfetta for sale locally but they seem like projects I don't have time for.

Maybe I'll keep searching AlfaBB...

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    My impression is its very hard to find a good GTV6, these are for better or worse just used cars still. Whereas the GTv is now a classic and there are afew redone cars.

You know the old adage, buy a restored car that someone else has spent the money on, in those cases you pay for the restoration minus labor and the car is thrown in for free.

That all being said, the v6 alfa motor is one of the all time classic powerplants, up there with a colombo v12, in euro trim imo no motor produced in the last 40-50 years sounded better. there are also lots of upgrades for these mtoors to go to 3.0 or 3.2 and around 300hp if you nwat to get carried away.

Whereas the 4cyl alfa unit from what freinds say is awesome in 1.6 high lift cam but kinda gravely in 2.0 form. Of course modded motors all have their own attributes.

As a parting thought. GTV's are now reckognised classics, look great, and priced accordingly, lookign at giulia prices they may still over time go up.

GTV6's are still at the floor, not yet reckognised, if you get good one, there is big potetial upside as they become "reckognised". But findig a good one, thats needle in a haystack stuff, because probably no one has restored one yet. But Alfa comming back to the USA, the brand gets awareness and the classics become more of a thing. Same thing happened when Lambo did the gallardo and masser came up with moderns.

For driving, personaly a great GTV6 has appeal, but try find a great one.

15. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This. Not even close. I've owned both and still own two GTVs(one a GTA/M replica).
    They provide 5/6ths the enjoyment of my 330 at a tiny fraction of the cost.

16. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    Thanks for the input everyone. it's greatly appreciated. If I couldfind a GTA/M replica I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

17. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    That'd be my choice as well, start with a GTV, build it into a GTAm clone and enjoy the heck out of it.

Best,

Jack.

18. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    The Chicago alfa club used to be fairly active, but I haven't kept up over the past 15 years. I grew up with a 1300 gt.jr. (sadly gone) Not the same as a gtv but similar. I loved it. It was quirky but rewarded you for taking the time to know it. One of those cars that you feel becomes an extension of yourself when driving. Have you talked to either Mike Besic or Al Promisco? Two of the best alfa mechanics in the area. Beyond street cars, Mike still races vintage alfas. If anyone in the region could put together the car you want, it would be Mike. He is usually very busy. Mike is in Glenn Ellyn and Al is in Northbrook. Al is a great guy, and if you catch him at the right time, he can probably talk you through both cars in great detail, just don't mention fiats. He also works on ferraris. Both guys are plugged in and may know who has a car to sell.

19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I can compare both cars as I have good example's of both. The GTV 1750 feels like a much smaller car but has ancient suspension architecture and feels like an older but very light car to drive. The Alfa GTV6 is around the size of a early 1960's Ferrari 250 with the same 2400mm wheelbase and a 2.5 V6 wich is not to far from the power to weight offered on the 1960's 250's. The GTV6 is heavier than the GTV and you can feel it but it also has a lot more power to make up for that. The suspension on the GTV6 in general is a lot better than the GTV and can be made to really stick to the road. Alfa raced the GTV6 a lot during the 1980's and won a lot of championships with it, in fact more than the GTA. If the Giulia chassis had been better they would have raced it in the 1980's instead.

One big downside is the GTV6 is more complicated and thus costs more to restore, not including bodywork. If you like a more modern body style go for the GTV6. If you want a very pretty classic body style with an older chassis design go for GTV.

20. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    I don't know either one. I'm in the city so my Italian repair guy is Giovanni at Auto Sprint.

I'm so torn. I really like the look of the GTV, but I need to take some time to drive both cars and see which I prefer.

21. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Drop the idea of restoring a GTV6, that's completely unnecessary in the price range you're talking about here.

I'm sorry this won't make your decision any easier - but for the price of the Hemmings GTV you linked above, you can buy 3 flawless GTV6's, and I mean rustfree unrestored mint examples. I've only been a passenger in a GTV, and I'm chronologically biased in favor of the GTV6 - i.e. to me the GTV is outdated compared to the GTV6.

With the budget for a GTV in the $35k range you can get a flawless GTV6 with the transmission replacement or mods to eliminate the 1-to-2nd synchro weakness and a mechanical timing belt tensioner … and still have $20k left for a Spyder and Milano and .

Go to YouTube and watch some clips of both GTV's and GTV6's in action, see if that might help reveal which one appeals to you more…

My bias: It's not for nothing that Classic and Sportscar Magazine selected the Alfa V6 as the second best sounding engine in automotive history…

Good luck, having to choose between two exciting sports cars is a lovely problem to have!
    Cheers,
    - Art

22. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Of course, the GTV is "outdated" compared to the GTV6 or the Milano for that manner. Latest tech and speed for the money are somewhat moot when referencing classics-otherwise we'd all just buy C5 Corvette Z06s and be done with it.
    The GTV is an absolutely beautiful design inside and out. Its a delight to drive, properly sized and great fun on a twisty road. It doesn't have to worry about emission control nonsense or testing and is much easier to maintain. It also didn't really have to address clumsy impact bumpers.
    If money is a worry, the GTV6 is good value. If the budget allows either, its really no comparison, IMO-the GTV.

23. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Love the GTV.

On another note, as I'm not Alfa savvy - why is the name "Giulia" used on so many different cars? I'm guessing that's not really a model name, or if it is, it's quite confusing (you have the Giulia convertible, the Giulia sedan, the GTV / Giulia).

Although not named after the car, that is my daughter's name, and she wants me to "get one". Not sure that will happen, but I do like the sedan and the GTV (or whatever model it is) version(s).

24. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Although I like both the GTV and GTV6 you can see that the GTV6 does not look bad at all even with the big bumpers. The 1984 on cars have a lot more plastic moldings. I think it looks better without.

I was wrong, they only build a little over 18,000 of them I found out later.......... The race cars looks great with color matched bumpers and lowered. And that lightweight V6 is amazing in everyway.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/other-italian/191911-alfa-romeo-gtv6-alfetta-1980-1987-a.html

Tons of GTV6's in "flawless" condition do not exist. Most of the rust free ones in the SW USA have high mileage. You will have to look harder for a perfect GTV6 than you will for a perfect Giulia GTV now. In a few years that will change as the GTV6 values go up and people restore them. Remember it is a lot rarer than the Giulia GTV.

25. Blackandbluedino

Apr 16, 2013
    Newport News VA
    Full Name:
    Thomas Gonnella
    I own both a 116 GTV-6 and a 105 Series GTV and they are two very different cars. The GTV has a more vintage feel but is more fun generally because it happens at a lower speed. The GTV-6 has a more modern feel (especially on stock torsion bars, stiffer rear springs and lowered front end) but is a maintenance horse. The water-pump needs to be replaced every 60,000 miles whether it needs it or not, the timing belt needs to be replaced every two years and the drive shaft rubber flex joints can be troublesome. None-the-less, that howling V-6 is the best noise this side of a V-12 and 25-30mpg in an Italian GT car isn't a bad deal. I guess if I had to choose I'd go with the GTV but the GTV-6 it like a decadent dessert a little goes a long way but it is sooo good!