De Tomaso Sport 5000 Can Am car | FerrariChat

De Tomaso Sport 5000 Can Am car

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Timmmmmmmmmmy, May 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Legendary Classic Centre of Cossta Mesa has listed the following

1965 De Tomaso Sport5000 for sale: Anamera

Which makes claim to it being a one off prototype Can Am car and asks no less than 1.995 mil. It does look like a cool car but it gives no real history for its survival except saying it sat around the factory since 1965. And it has a British registration. Anyone know anything about it?

2. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #2 DenisC, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
    The car is the Sport5000 with a new body panels fitted to meet Gr7 specifications. The original PeteBrock sheetmetal was removed and put on a shelf as it did not have signals, wipers and a few other items. There is no clear history on who designed it or who did the actual metal work.

The parts for the PeteBrock and this one were purchased by a broker for a Belgian dealer who re-assembled the 1st car using this one as a template then sold the pair to a US collector as a set. Both cars have been offered by a few brokers since 2014, the PeteBrock car is much prettier and has been historically recognised at the Quail in 2014.

Cars were reputed to have been raced but there are no pictures or video records of the fact.

Shelby had introduced PeteBrock to DeTomaso and promised financial support for the original venture, never to follow-thru. It is reputed DeTomaso did not get paid for any work, maybe the reason it got rebodied and buried (and Pete gave pics and info to Road& Track) AND the reason the tongue in check decision to name the Mangusta (Snake eater) then the ultimate sarcastic event Ford promoted the Mangusta and had all documentation printed with Shelby as the distributor. :) :) :)

3. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #3 velocetwo, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
    Is this the one that was originally built to the wrong scale ?

4. prototypefan

prototypefan Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
  5. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Maybe the experts can explain why it's a no sale

6. benmou

benmou Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2015
    Incorrect comments, photos of racing exist inside the book MACCHINA DA CORSA,
    all history explain inside, both cars built by Fantuzzi in 1965 and both documented by the factory De Tomaso.
    Some home work should be done before posting

7. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #7 DenisC, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
    The wrong scale car was the predecessor to the Fantuzzi car. This car is the successor to the Fantuzzi car. It's builder and designer are not documented and nebulous.

The wrong scale car was not built at Ghia nor at Fantuzzi, the Pete Brock car was built and documented at Fantuzzi , the last car was not built at Fantuzzi and neither Pete Brock nor Giugiaro have ever taken credit for it.

8. benmou

benmou Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2015
    #9 benmou, May 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    All documented in the De Tomaso official book, both cars seen at Fantuzzi shop, do some home work PLEASE
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. prototypefan

prototypefan Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    It is quite sad that this car did not accomplish more, it is soooooooo good looking.

10. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    True, this car and the Bizzarrini P538 were meant to compete in the new Can Am series that was to take place in the USA, both may have done well that first or second year, but technology was moving fast and I think they would have been quickly outdated against the likes of McLaren, Porsche, Lola and Chaparral.

By late 66 -67 LeMans rules changed 25 cars had to be built , limited to 5 litres and no open cars, so this made these cars useless.

11. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
  12. Manuel76

Manuel76 Rookie

Apr 20, 2013
    Italy
    I know Santiago sold 2 of them and bits and pieces to build a 3rd one right after Alejandro died. Rumors, he sold them for 15K each

13. benmou

benmou Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2015
    Complet lie...
    I have seen myself the invoice from the factory and have a copy

14. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    REAL looker! I always wanted a set of those extra wide 'Mangusta' Campy wheels for my former goose, that original versions of these cars sported.

15. Manuel76

Manuel76 Rookie

Apr 20, 2013
    Italy
    It's not nice to say I lied because I simply wrote what I'be been told from a reputable source.
    If you have access to those invoices, let us see them

16. benmou

benmou Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2015
    It s a error or a lie
    How can you imagine and Santiago will have sold the car for the price of 4 wheels ?
    Yes, I have the invoice but will not post it on internet as I have nothing to win.