Giulia info please | FerrariChat

Giulia info please

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by rdefabri, May 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I know I've posted this before - I typically take a long time to research something before I do it. I'm not yet in the market, but I have long wanted an Alfa Giulia - for the longest time the "GTV" version, but I saw a sedan locally and fell in love with it.

So I'd love to have a Giulia 1300 / 1600 / Super. I don't know a lot about them at all, I need to learn more. I see some have dual headlamps, some with quad headlamps - presumably the quad headlamps are newer variants?

I know older versions have drum brakes all around - do later versions have discs? Which engine is preferable - the 1300 or 1600?

Ironically - and unintentionally - my daughter's name is Giulia. I joked about getting one in her honor, but realizing what a great machine it is, the desire has jumped a lot. I would love to have one with tuned motor - they sound awesome and I hear they drive great.

I'm sure I could do research on my own, but love to hear about experiences, what to look for, thoughts, etc from the F-Chat crowd.

2. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Ah yes, I've Googled a bit - doesn't give me enough "personal" info - how does it drive? Who are the "known" people to work on them, etc.

Is that car yours? That's pretty much what I want one to look like - quad headlamps, those funky alloy wheels (or whatever they are), maybe even in a light gray...what a cool looking car!

3. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Ok - I get some more now, the Super has the quad headlamps, it's the 1300 that has the dual headlamps.

I see that the interior is different for both as well. Interesting.

Is there a particular year that is most / more desirable?

4. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Do not let the early drum braked Giulia's put you off. The three shoe front drums are amazing. When I was racing Alfa's in the early 60's and the factory went to disc front brakes, the racers retro fitted the three shoe drums. They will out-brake the discs all day long.

5. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    #6 ypsilon, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
    Sadly not mine. I don't own one and I'm certainly not an expert on the subject. Did drive a 1300 gt junior once though, which has the same engine as the Giulia. Engine has a lovely sound but needs a lot of revs to move, so choosing between a standard/original 1300 or 1600 cc I would definately choose the 1600. If you go for a non original engine; some prefer the 1750 cc over the standard 2000cc because it's a bit more revy without losing too much on the hp front. My pick though (after reading quite a bit of owner and magazine reviews) would be a nicely tuned 2000cc. Engine and parts are readily available for more than reasanable prices , 150 to 160 hp is easily achievable. If you go too deep though into restoration/tuning work (Alfaholics and/or equivalent parts), things could end up quite expensive (+ $ 100K). So picking a good, rust free example and cherry picking in the Alfaholics cataloque would be my choice.

You can find more info and knowledgeable owners on this forum:

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

6. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thanks - I'd consider going non-original engine, but then I'm not an Alfisti, so I don't know if that's considered bad practice (although I see a lot of these are modified).

I see a few 1300's for sale in my neck of the woods, reasonably priced, but not cheap by any means either. I'd be looking for something that was fun and I could take my family in.

7. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009