Is the Fiat Dino a better car than the Ferrari built Dino? | FerrariChat

Is the Fiat Dino a better car than the Ferrari built Dino?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by velocetwo, Jun 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Is the Fiat Dino a better car than the Ferrari built Dino?

Looking at these how these two cars are built it amazes me that the Fiat Dino prices haven't climbed faster.

The Fiat is a modern unibody that provides a stiff solid chassis, the Ferrari is old school with a separate tube chassis that has a body cobbled together on top of it, with fiberglass inserts. I say the Fiat is a better engineered machine. From what I have heard owners of both cars prefer driving the Fiat.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Several reasons

1) Their very "presence" still says Dino's are "not a Ferrari" -- so they get no respect. They remind people of the deal with the devil Enzo made with Fiat. It's a historical "black mark" to some.

2) The Fiat Spider is reasonably attractive, the Coupe -- even today-- not so much. Other Fiat sedans around this time looked kinda similar.

3) The Fiat badge

4) Poor build quality and rust issues, which was typical of all Italian cars in the 70's.

5) Expensive parts, unobtainium

6) While people will take a blind eye to look at the 246 Dino GT's issues, they won't give the same slack to Fiat Dinos

7) Smaller displacement, slower, less HP

8) They were only sold at Fiat dealers, not Ferrari dealers.

9) No marketing. You never saw a Fiat Dino in some movie or TV show. Most have never even seen one or know what it is.

10) It's just not a Ferrari. To some it's even a "fake Ferrari".

Was it better built? No, but it was simpler. Best part? The Dino sound. Worst part? Unreliable rust buckets.

3. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    1. correct
    2. I like the coupe Giugiaro like a small Iso Grifo
    3 yes the badge but were talking about build quality engineering
    4. I say the build quality and engineering was better than Ferrari all Italian cars from that era rust .
    5. parts same as ferrari in some cases less expensive
    6. agree
    7. Fiat used the 206 and the 246 engine
    8. correct
    9. Have you ever seen the Italian Job?
    10. No it's not a Ferrari but the Dino was it's own brand

Fiat Dino's were even raced at LeMans was the 246 ferrari coupe? I don't think so.

Yes, best part Dino sound and it's even better in the Fiat Dino Spyder!

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I was looking a few years ago for a decent Fiat Dino Spyder. Most were not decent. Now prices are crazy but they will fall.

5. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    #5 Ney, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #6 Napolis, Jun 30, 2015
    2.4's were built by Ferrari at the Ferrari Factory.

Great cars, true spyders.

Parts are a non issue.

I doubt prices will be falling.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Isn't that one on the left a Kellmark :)

8. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #8 teak360, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    A new record price for a 2.4 spider this month at the Paris auction. Just over 188,000 Euro

9. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    #9 Iceblue, Jul 1, 2015
    For some reason, the car look always better in person.

The 2.4 is a really a nice car and very well proportioned. I am nearly finished with my 2.4 restoration and I have time to study its construction.
    I have come to truly appreciate this car allot more than before. The quality of craftmanship is better than the 2.0 in my opinion.
    There is more attention to details.

With only 424 made, there is a serious appreciation among collector / enthusiast for these top-down Italian cars that were at Ferrari factory.

The Fiat dino is known for having rust issues in the rocker panels, valance and lower doors. They were left for dead for the longest time.
    The steel that was used was not the greatest back in the 70's.

The car has less hp than the 246 Dino, the engine and displacement are the same.
    The 2.4 has an all new independent suspension and improved braking and ZF transmission.

I seriously don't think the 2.4 Dino will take a plunge anytime soon, it has not had the meteoric rise like the 246.
    Finding a good 2.4 candidate is now the hard part.

10. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Beautiful looking restoration.

11. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    #11 Iceblue, Jul 2, 2015
    This car is a 3 owner car that I purchased near London back in 2013. It had been sitting in a garage since 1989. It was complete with all the original paper works back to wen it was sold in Como Italy.
    The original color was bottle Green and was later painted, blue to red.

The restoration was a big job and not cheap by any means. Everything was redone, from engine, brake booster, body, brakes.... practically every nuts and bolts.

The body has been meticulously brought back to factory with zero body filler.
    I was lucky to have found a 2.4 with great frame, floors and deck lid.
    It will be interesting to hear her start in the weeks to come.
    My next car might just be a Ferrari Dino?

12. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    9) No marketing. You never saw a Fiat Dino in some movie or TV show. Most have never even seen one or know what it is.

Probably you never saw an italian movie: this car was a character in 15 different crime dramas from 1967 to 1971, and in 2 french movies. And last but not least it appeared in "Munich" (2005) by S.Spielberg.

13. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    I've driven Ferrari 246 Dinos extensively (both restored and "drivers") and a fully-restored, concours winning Fiat Dino 2400 Spider briefly. Totally different character from the Ferrari to the Fiat -- what you would prefer to drive depends on what you're looking for in a car.

The Fiat Dino Spider is a lovely car, makes all the same sounds as the Ferrari version and is a pleasure to drive. But it's softly sprung, has a fair amount of chassis flex (as virtually all convertibles of this period do) and has the demeanor of a sporty cruiser. It's comfortable and supple, spacious, perfect for a long tour along the coast.

The Ferrari Dino is also surprisingly adept at soaking up road bumps, but is still firmer -- more buttoned down than the Fiat. The mid-engine layout and low seating position results in a completely different feel on the road. Much racier, much less body roll, much more "direct" feeling in every input -- it's a much more serious sports car than the Fiat is, even if it's not significantly quicker in a straight line.

Which is "better?" Depends where and how you're driving today. Why not just buy them both?

14. BoxerCrazy

BoxerCrazy Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Charleston WV
    Full Name:
    Douglas A Hunt
    ^^THIS^^ is of course the correct answer......now where did I put that fortune cookie slip with the winning lotto numbers?......sigh

15. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    #15 michael bayer, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    Several points amplifying Jims (owning one helps)
    Of the 424 made, there are at best 210 "Fiat" survivors
    Enzo consistently misrepresented his products performance - exhibit one is the Harrah Daytona::
    Both cars used largely identical engines made by FIAT not Ferrari
    Both engines have all the same internals and specs and produced the same HP
    The "Fiat" had a Pininfarina manufactured coachwork, the "Ferrari" was from Scaglietti which was slightly inferior in quality
    Both were assembled at the same time in the Ferrari factory
    Both are a joy to drive (the 206 however, is a world apart!)
    Parts for both are available

16. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    The Ferrari has a ladder chassis nothing really special the Fiat uses unibody construction, I wonder which one really is stiffer? And I wonder how the coupes chassis flex compares to the the convertible?

I have also noticed that the Ferrari's body is very flexible once removed from the chassis.

17. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    +1
    The 206 Spyder is a blast to drive. Part of my restoration included having the new Koni shocks sent to Truechoice for dyno setting. I felt the quad rear shock setup really needed those to be set accurately. If you push on all 4 corners, the chassis does not feel overly stiff, but when you drive it down the road, it's a bit serious over bumpy roads. Like a M BMW, or maybe firmer still. The engine is very strong. It has good torque all over the rev range, and the sound is very special. I think of it as a mini 330GTS (333cc/cylinder). Also, I sought out a 2.0 over the 2.4. The updates are nice, but I specifically wanted knock off wheels and the aluminum engine block. To me the greatest advantage of the 246GT over the Fiat counterparts is the rack-and-pinion steering. I wish the little Dino-Fiat's had that. That globoidal worm steering is ancient technology by comparison i.m.h.o.