Silver FIAT Dino Spider damaged in shipping - anyone know this car? | FerrariChat

Silver FIAT Dino Spider damaged in shipping - anyone know this car?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Peloton25, Jul 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #1 Peloton25, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In an automotive group I belong to on Facebook a user has reported that this car was damaged during transport and the truck driver has taken the car to a body shop in the San Gabriel, California to get it repaired prior to delivery.

No idea if the owner is aware, but I think they certainly deserve to know. Unfortunately there is no closer view of whatever it is wearing in place of the license plate, and the person reporting this is also unaware of the from/to locations or any other vehicle specifics.

This should be the location of the body shop:

T-D Auto Body Corp - Auto body repair | San Gabriel, CA

Here are the photos - hopefully someone in this community will recognize the car.

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    This is s/n 135BS00001219, which was recently for sale at Motorcar Gallery in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Those are Motorcar Gallery temporary plates.

3. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks for the expertise as always El Wayne. I'll try contacting the dealership and see what they have to say. There's always a chance they have been made aware and authorized this, or that they can confirm the future owner is aware. We'll see what I get in return.

>8^)
    ER

4. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Rare 246 model.

5. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks for the heads-up Erik. The buyer is an Italian friend of mine who lives out of the country. He was unaware of the damage and was told that the car is delayed in Phoenix and will be in LA on Tuesday.

The internet is a powerful tool.

6. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That's pretty incredible - exactly what was feared. I'm so glad I saw that posting and chose to get involved when I did. Hopefully this gets sorted out without to much pain and trouble for the new owner. Would be interested to hear how the transport company's story changes in the wake of this too?

>8^)
    ER

7. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'll fill you guys in when I know. And yes Wayne, the car came from FL.

8. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Looks like a 2.4 I knew in Rome in 191-1973.

9. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Wow, totally unreal - thankfully, full disclosure can be made, even if the guilty party didn't want it to be so!

10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Is the name of the transport company known? I'd be sure NOT to use them in the future, should I need it.

11. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    Happened to me too. I never knew until I received an overdue parking ticket in the mail from Los Angeles.

12. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #12 Peloton25, Jul 27, 2015
  13. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The photo from today is work that is being done by the car owner's rep. Here is a synopsis of the story:
    Owner's rep contracted with VIP to transport car from FL to LA. VIP subcontracted to another transport company with USA in the name. The rep was unaware they were subcontracting until the car was on the road. There was a failure of some type during shipping that allowed the car to move and damage the trunk lid and rear quarter panel. The truck driver wanted to avoid getting fired so he lied about there being a delay in shipping and took the car to the body shop in the photo. He asked them to fill the dents with bondo and blend the paint. Quick and dirty.

Thanks to whoever took the first photos and posted them and to Erik for posting them here. The truck driver was exposed and caught. Supposedly he was fired by USA and a new driver will be completing the delivery.

The owner's rep was at the body shop today having them do the repairs in a proper manner as well as a few other repairs since the car was already there. This is not a pristine car or it would have been a much bigger deal. The car's owner just bought another 2.4 Spider in Europe that is one of the nicest original cars extant. This kind of damage to that car would have been a much uglier problem.

If the truck driver hadn't been caught, the car would have been delivered with a crap repair. He didn't want to lose his job so he was willing to lie and hide a problem to keep it.

14. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Really nice stealth work here, hopefully worked out in the owners favor in the end, as I am guessing he pressed for a full respray on an otherwise 'needy' body/paint anyway?

15. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I find the shipping industry very corrupt. Besides the obvious dishonesty of using a cheaper subcontractor that was not vetted by the customer, there are also a lot of worthless rip-off charges and fees that get slapped on as a shipment transits borders. When dishonesty abounds it's no wonder the small fish assume they can get away with bending the rules themselves.

16. BoxerCrazy

BoxerCrazy Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Charleston WV
    Full Name:
    Douglas A Hunt
    so...does anyone know what the originally contracted shipper had to say about all this....what kind of nightmare did the owners rep have to deal with to get satisfaction?

Cant even begin to imagine the aspirin needed to deal with this mess......

17. calder1

calder1 F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 26, 2006
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Craig
    that car just got delivered to a bodyshop next door to me, they tried dropping it off here first

18. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    California has enacted new air restrictions and regulations on diesel trucks operating in California. Many of the haulers that you may know and trust can no longer operate in the golden state because their trucks don't comply. Non compliant trucks are turned away at the border.

The solution for the non compliant trucks is sub contracting.

19. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    VIP has stepped up and said they will pay $6K toward the repair. They already paid about $1K
    to the body shop in the photos that has to be redone.
    We will see. I'll post the conclusion when I hear it.

20. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    #20 Iceblue, Aug 25, 2015
    6K for this sort of repair is peanuts. The rear deck lid on these 2.4 are aluminum.
    I just got done restoring my 2.4 and the rear deck lid is unique to each car!
    I would be freaking out!
    Thanks for exposing this incedent.

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have done that, to a rental car, but doing it with a CUSTOMER's car???

I hope they flame him.

22. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    This is very scary to me. I am just now in negotiations now to have a car transported from Los Angeles area to South Carolina. Its supposed to be a good company from what I can tell.…ughh! They are much less money and only carry about 5 cars at a time (enclosed) than the big company's with beautiful trucks that advertise in magazines and at Concourse.

How best do I protect my car and know what I am getting into?

23. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    Make sure they are a transporter, and not a broker for transporters.

Of course, if you ask them directly ,they will lie. Try to get it in a contract.

24. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Brokers everywhere and they all have the same MO they claim it's a family business and they will check with their dad to see if they can get the price down yada yada yada.........

so slimy

25. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    The guy that called me told me straight up he was a broker. Seems extremely nice and very knowledgable on the phone. answered all the questions correctly. Very confident in his pitch about getting the car to me safely. He is much cheaper (and quicker) than the transport companies that you see advertise in magazines, on tv, and at concourse, by about $600. on a cross country haul. I guess in the grand scheme of things, thats a small price for peace of mind?

Never easy.