Classic Italia under 150,000 | FerrariChat

Classic Italia under 150,000

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Rosso_Corsa, Jul 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosso_Corsa

Rosso_Corsa Rookie

Dec 12, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I watch too many petrolicious videos. I'm in love with classic italian cars ala 250 gto, maserati 250f, alfa tipo 33, alfa giulia tz2, etc.

Is there something classic, powerful (relative to it's time), and beautifully curvaceous like this within my price range? What do you think is the most beautiful classic italian car under 150,000 USD? Most of them have climbed out of this range in recent years.

If I'm honest, I'd probably be better off looking at 80's ferraris through maybe the f430. I just have this unending love for these 60s and back models. The style is phenomenal.

2. Rosso_Corsa

Rosso_Corsa Rookie

Dec 12, 2012
    Oklahoma
    The jaguar E type is still an option. Outstanding car with drop dead gorgeous looks, but not quite Italian.

3. frascati

frascati Karting

Mar 5, 2012
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Some ideas: www.rpmvt.com. Check out their inventory page frequently.

4. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    The E-Type is indeed a great option.

Italian; The elegant but less flamboyant Lancia Aurealia B20, and not that long but now out of your price range (although I don't know the US market), the beautiful and somewhat overlooked Lancia Flaminia (Super) Sport Zagato's.

Less exotic but still curvaceous and sporty: Alfa GTV, Alfa Junior Gt (gta/m recreation), 2600 Sprint.

5. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    Actually a short search on Hemmings shows three Aurelias B20 for sale at that price range.

And what about Alfa Romeo Montreal?

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm biased - I have a Ferrari 308 and a Jaguar E-Type FHC, so I've got it covered! :)

I have to say, for the price you are suggesting, the DeTomaso Pantera is a can't miss. Super power, looks fantastic, it's classic, and it's Italian (ok, half Italian).

Some have told me it's an Italian GT40, and I get it. I especially like the unmolested models (e.g., before the GT5 type flares, wings, etc), and you can get one probably for $75-80K in very good / great shape.

I'll second the Alfa recommendation - the GTV / GT / Giulia cars are really sweet, but nowhere near as powerful as a Pantera.

Maybe 10 years ago, an Iso Grifo would have been in your wheelhouse. I met a guy that had one for sale, right when Ford introduced the Ford GT (so around 2005 / 2006) - he was selling it to buy the GT, which maybe retrospectively wasn't a great idea - not a bad idea, but I think the Grifos have appreciated more.

Anyway, that car was HOT. I think they are pushing $400K now...

My vote - Pantera!

7. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Maserati Merak. The most impressive design of the greatest car designer of the 1970s (and of course beyond that too...)... and still a steal at less than 100K USD in perfect condition.

8. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    rdefabri nailed it. Pantera is your choice, they're great value/performance in the range listed.

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #9 F1tommy, Jul 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    If you want something with a Ferrari motor that is dirt cheap and do not mind it being newer look for a low mile 6 speed manual non paddle shifter Maserati 4200.

P.S. I think the 4200 spyder looks much better than the coupe and has a shorter 2400 mm wheelbase just like the classic Ferrari's.

10. dmj

dmj Formula Junior

Feb 11, 2012
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Full Name:
    Dino Milic-Jakovlic
    Fiat Dino Coupe? Good looks and performance, Ferrari engine...

Fiat 2300S Coupe? Great looks, ok performance...

But, of course, both are Fiats so prepare for stupid jokes...

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Maybe for $150K, the Fiat Dino Spider would be a better option. The Dino Coupe is nice, but the Spider is a great looking car IMHO.

12. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Intermecannica Italia's are a cool consideration. There is an exceptional thread on these here with some 'sick' :D examples. Rarity and beauty here. Suggestions have been brilliant from everyone.

Petrolicious videos are awesome. Phil T. here and his Stratos...for example. Love them loud on the big screen.

13. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    The Apollo is right on at the top of the price list, it's a stunning car that is inexpensive to own and operate.