Is there a Alfa 1750 GTV expert here? | FerrariChat

Is there a Alfa 1750 GTV expert here?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  2. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Hi David and Julie: I had three o d these in period, there are just great cars. I may have one again. I am happy to answer questions, or refer you to tHe former Alfa Romeo national service manager who is still a Alfa fanatic.
    I hope you are all well.
    Malcolm

3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Sweet, sweet car and GF to die for. Not many GF's go for vintage Alfa's. Bravo!

4. 8339

8339 Karting

Oct 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I still own my first Alfa I purchased 41 years ago, a 1971 GTV. I have looked at the pictures of this car multiple times, I can't find anything amiss. These cars did not come with a hood blanket.

I'm in the repair and restoration business for Italian cars, mostly Ferrari and Alfas. I've had the opportunity to drive and own in some cases the worlds most expensive and rare Italian cars. My favorite car of all times is still a 71 GTV. I own 4 GTVs, a 69, 2 x 71s and 74.

Other than the headlights and fog lights I would not change a thing. The lights should be Carello's

5. marco246

marco246 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2004
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What a beautiful example! I've owned three GTVs (two 1750, one 2000) and am always overcome by seller's remorse when I let one go. The amber fogs and the twin-pipe exhaust tips are cool but not "correct", and the tires don't look like 165 HR 14s, but who cares. Based on the GTV as representing only one data point, I would venture to opine that your GF is a Keeper. Best wishes to you both, and I hope you enjoy driving the car with gusto.

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Beautiful!!!! Congrats to her! Canepa may overcharge but they probably take care to sell clean cars..

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

quite possibly one of my all time favorites. these cars are just lovely at any angle and a joy to drive. I miss mine:(

my cousin is an expert and in the process of doing a concours restoration. great, great cars!!!!

8. juliei

juliei Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 5, 2009
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Julie I.
    Hi Malcolm!--David just showed me your comment--thanks for the offer to assist as I will most likely need it! Canepa was our last stop leaving car week in Monterey and I just couldn't resist this beauty. Quite impressed with Canepa, and Bruce made it easy. We looked for you and one of your beauties at CI, The Quail, and Pebble, but didn't find you...taking a break this year? Can't imagine how much work showing at these events entails. So good to know this Alfa was one of your choices--verifies the selection. Thanks again!

9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Beautiful!
    But why has a 1750 the 2000 taillights?

Best Regards from Germany
    Martin

( have a 2000 )

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    On late US model 1750's they changed to the bigger tail lights. Even early 2000 GTV's in some countries still used the smaller tail lights well into production, but not US model cars.

11. oceans

oceans Karting

Jan 3, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Ok,
    I've owned what to alfisti are argueably GTV's.
    Bear with me... The two 1979 Sprint Veloces that I owned may, or may not be GTV's according to what books one reads.
    I realize that they are different platforms, separated by years, but there are similarities in having to live with these cars.
    1. Wonderful balance and chuckability.
    2. Simplicity.
    3. Electrical gremlins.
    4. Build quality.
    Any Italian car from the Sixties. or Seventies should be approached with a very keen eye and a magnetic stud finder. Low-grade Soviet steel was used by the Italian Car manufacturers under a left-leaning Italian government of the period.
    How many commonplace Italian vehicles of the period has anyone seen at car shows in my country or yours for the last twenty years. Very few... Only the exceptional marques are represented. The rest dissolved into dust.
    I have been interested in 1750's and 2000 GTV's, but on close inspection of the "B" and "C" pillars, there are massive rust issues beyond justifiable monetary expense and marital harmony. If the "C" pillar and transom are "GONE" do not walk ...Run!
    Ciao

12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    They are not as bad. No way worse, than for instance german cars of that class from that era.
    I use my '72 2000 GTV from spring to fall as a daily driver since 20 years. It's not perfect, but it's beautiful, reliable, easy to maintain and gives me, what I never find on modern DDs.

Best Regards from Germany
    Martin

13. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Hey Malcolmb! Everything is well, just back from an amazing trip. I am please to know that these are cherished cars, and this means a lot coming from you. Come see us when you are in our area- Julie has a room with your name on it. Yes, it would be nice to have the persons contact that you mentioned.

14. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Now that is awesome! She is waiting to know just what you are talking about. Did not get to drive it when we where there as it was really after closing.

15. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    hmmm. I think this was a Southern California car for all of it's life so rust was not an issue. It has had a respray, but that's all and from looking under the hood, it seems to be fine. The owner must have been an engineer, or maybe a CPA. He even kept all of the gas receipts!! And a hand written diary. Amazing records.

16. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #16 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, you and Marco246 are correct! She's one of a kind....loves cars, flying, boating (just purchased a 1974 Correct Craft South Wind from 40 year owner ship with orginal papers and drove, piloted, her first boat this weekend...sounds awesome) and does not really like to shop that much. Just great!

And what other woman would want her picture taken at Dodi's!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. 2KGTV

2KGTV Rookie

Aug 21, 2015
    Recent buyer of a 74 2000 GTV. Great cars. Not overly concerned with being 100% correct..I've done that before and it's just a hassle. This car is to enjoy.

18. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Congrats. The car only has a few minor items that are not correct as pointed out by the rest of the guys here. If you really want it scrutinized place a few pictures on the Alfa BB.
    I bought a 1969 GTV 1750 series 1 last year and am enjoying it.
    The one you bought is as good as they get after 40 years.

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hilarious.......

20. William j. Conway

May 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    William J.Conway
    I have a 1971 GTV Ar1532049 , the colour is an ultra rare blu chiara metalazato. AR337, I have been unable to find out how many made in this colour. Any suggestions?

NEP likes this.