Abarth Ghia 1100 - Pebble Beach | FerrariChat

Abarth Ghia 1100 - Pebble Beach

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by rbsloan11, Aug 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rbsloan11

rbsloan11 Karting

Apr 25, 2007
    Carmel
    Full Name:
    Rob
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    He did it the old fashioned way. The car is a gem, but the man who restored it is also old school. You used to see more of this back in the 1960's and early 1970' when the odd exotics were not worth anything.

3. rbsloan11

rbsloan11 Karting

Apr 25, 2007
    Carmel
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I know of him thru a friend who knows him very well. The car was derelict for decades, and he had to remake by hand many of the missing one off trim pieces/parts for both the inside and outside of the car, and he did the entire bodywork, paint, and interior himself. In my book that should get extra points at a concours.

4. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    #5 butcher, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Simply....awesome!

6. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Somebody here forgot to thank me....

7. Miura68

Miura68 Rookie

Aug 29, 2012
    Some years ago I had an opportunity to buy a very special Italian car from a well known US enthusiast which I imported into Australia and have just about finished restoring. In a follow up to that purchase, the little car in this thread was offered also. After a number of sleepless nights, I passed on what was obviously a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity as it would have meant parting with two other cars I have owned for a very long time. I therefore know the starting point from which Grant Kinzel commenced on the epic journey to Pebble Beach. When people comment on the car today, I think there are very few who could comprehend where he started from.

I am currently restoring one of Pininfarina's Turin show cars....one of perhaps three that were built. I know the difficulty of finding those almost unique parts, or making them from scratch again. Grant was lucky enough to find the glass for the car according to the reports but when you have to make a unique windscreen from scratch, or tail lights, instruments, badges, and so many other parts it is only then that you fully realise the incredible outcome he achieved.

Then I find myself at the assembly stage with newly fabricated panels, paint, and upholstery, often wondering if it would be up to the standard of Pebble Beach, and again I take my hat off to the work that Grant did.

I have since been in communication with another exhibitor at Pebble Beach who was parked beside the Abarth Ghia at one stage, and he has told me what a wonderful little car it was.

So, well done Grant from Melbourne, Australia. I hope I will get a chance to see the car one day.

8. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    Apparantly there were three of these cars.. One Abarth, one Simca but also a Simca Convertible..