Please talk me out of getting a Millecento wagon. Or not. | FerrariChat

Please talk me out of getting a Millecento wagon. Or not.

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Santiago Montenegro, Sep 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    There's this '67 Familiare for sale and it is tempting the hell out of me. Are they even remotely interesting after the buck fever has passed? Will I end up using scarce garage space for a dull, old econobox, or are they as cool as I think? I have found very little info about them in the internets.

Sorry, no I have pics for now. I get to see it tomorrow. If there's any interest, I'll post them then.

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I had a Millecento (1100) Sedan about 40 years ago. They're very cheaply made, very low powered, very minimal comfort level. I had a Lancia Appia Sedan at the same time, which was basically the same size and performance level, but a vastly nicer car. If I had a chance to buy a Millecento wagon in decent condition, at a reasonable price, I might be tempted, but it's really not a car that would get much use in today's world.

I have some of the old workshop manuals and parts books for 1100's, if you need to do some research on the car.

It would be fun to see pix of it.

3. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    Thanks a lot! I everythig goes well, I'll post some pics tomorrow.

I really hope I don't buy this thing. I need the parking space for an Alfa I expect to find :)

4. Miura68

Miura68 Rookie

Aug 29, 2012
    #4 Miura68, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am writing from Melbourne, Australia, where we still have many opportunities to enjoy old cars under a permit system. Since amendments to the system a few years ago, more than 100,000 older cars have returned to the roads in the State of Victoria alone, and it is fun to see so many being used. I have owned more than 50 Italian cars over the years, and still have Ferraris, and yet I have a soft spot for Fiat 1100s. In their day they had good performance, excellent handling, and good brakes. They were designed as a basic family cars, but the engines responded well to tuning, in fact good enough for Stanguellini to win the Formula Junior championship in 1958 and 59. Another advantage of the Fiat 1100 these days is the vast supply of parts at very reasonable prices.

I have several Fiat 1100s that are used often. In fact a few years back my wife and I chose to take a Fiat 1100 right through the Australian Alps over our Christmas holidays. Typically the modern cars belted past but often we would catch them at towns and they would be surprised to see the little Fiat again. My 1100s range from a totally original 31,000 mile example, some rare special bodied cars by Pininfarina, and others that have been tuned or modified by enthusiasts over the years. As the thread is on the wagons, I attach a photo of a car I bought on ebay some years ago which has been lowered, fitted with modern wheels and has a rather special paint job. I bought it the way it is and have only tidied it up, but I do use it. The photo was taken within the last 3 months.

As a matter of interest I also have a Lancia Appia and it is a better car in every respect, but that doesn't mean the Fiat is a bad car.

If there is an opportunity to buy an 1100 wagon, I would say go for it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    Sadly, the seller vanished from the face of earth. I guess he got second thoughts.