Canadians might know this...Tim Horton's Pantera | FerrariChat

Canadians might know this...Tim Horton's Pantera

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by bitzman, Sep 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    There was once a famous hockey player who fatally crashed in the Pantera he got as a signing bonus. I have seen the pictures of the wreck of Tim Horton's Pantera L, white in color, after his one car crash. Looks too mushed , as unitized car, to rebuild.
    Insurance company reportedly offered it for $500-maybe it was bought for the ZF gearbox and suspension bits. Curious if it was bought and if it's driving around today.

2. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    He was in bigtime party mode that night!!

3. Pantera1889

Pantera1889 Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2006
    Maryland
    #3 Pantera1889, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Pantera1889

Jul 6, 2006
    Maryland
    #4 Pantera1889, Sep 12, 2015
  5. Pantera1889

Jul 6, 2006
    Maryland
    #5 Pantera1889, Sep 12, 2015
  6. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    Tim Horton was a renowned and decorated NHL hockey player. He was 42 at the time of his death, had wanted to retired but was encouraged to stay on for another year and given a Pantera as a signing bonus. The story is he broke his jaw playing a game in Toronto that evening and decided to drive to Buffalo NY for the next game rather than bus with his team mates. After the game he stopped to see business partner (in a now quite famous donut franchise) has a drink and left early in the morning on his way to Buffalo.

The car was supposedly crushed to avoid any 'trophy hunters' FWIW Pantera VIN was 4557 ZF number could be easily found if anyone claimed to own it.

https://afewtastefulsnaps.wordpress.com/2011/02/20/the-tim-horton-autopsy-canadas-most-famous-drunk-driver/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Horton

Famous Canadian Tim Horton was once a sports car dealer...??

7. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Great article. Thanks for sharing.

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    According to this, the car was likely sold as scrap:

phscollectorcarworld: Lost Star Cars: Tim Horton's Ford Pantera

More interesting is that after his death, his business partner offered Horton's wife $1M for sole rights to the franchise, which she did. At that time, there were about 40 locations.

Today, there are over 4,000 locations, and that business partner is a billionaire. Horton's wife unsuccessfully sued to get more, ended up dying pretty young (68).

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    He is a customer at my shop.

10. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    I thought 1 Ron Joyce sold the franchise to Wendy's then was purchased by BurgerKing and 2 he lived in Halifax, owns a PGA golf course

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    More recently, I believe - yes.

Not to derail the thread, but on the subject of infamous Panteras, Vince Neil of Mötley Crüe also owned one and had an accident with it. He survived but his passenger (Razzle of the band Hanoi Rocks) was killed.

12. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    wow, this brings back memories. I actually sat in this car and had a chance to speak with Tim many times.

I grew up outside Buffalo (which I'll deny publicly) and, like most kids, we were hockey nuts. A couple of the Sabres players and some friends opened up a car shop on Niagara Falls Blvd in Tonawanda, which was close to our home. I think as the years went on, some players joined in as other left. I remember Brian "Spinner" Spencer really liked crazy 4x4's and built a really wild monster truck there.

My friends and I would stalk the place - we were car nuts and hockey nuts, and usually we'd get to see the players there. Best I can remember, they would all be generous and gracious to us, including letting us sit in their cars.

At the time, Panteras, Ferraris and even Porsches were rare. I remember us being dumbfounded at the Italian car with a Mustang engine in the back... IIRC Tim also had a 914/6, or at least we saw him driving one.

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

tim Horton's brews a pretty good cup of joe!

sad about his demise at the wheel of a de tomaso. as many times as I have been for coffee...I had never been aware of how he passed away.