Fiat Abarth Zagato Record Manza | FerrariChat

Fiat Abarth Zagato Record Manza

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by slm, Sep 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    One of these cars has caught my attention. Anyone have any experience with them?

2. prototypefan

prototypefan Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    I'll bet most people are unaware that Karl Abarth and Mario Colucci won over 7,000 races from 1949-71.

Abarth cars have always been in the cute category in NA.....we were just not exposed to what was going on in Europe.

Abarths are easy to find.....great Abarths are nearly impossible to find. All the little bits are really tough to get.

There are many books on the cars.....buy them and get informed.

I waited almost ten years to get an RM. I'm 6'3" and have no problem fitting into the little jewel, it's pretty funny.

3. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Thanks. What are these like to drive? I have some newer cars and have had older porsches, but am looking for something older, interesting, but fun. This seems to fit. I have done a bit of research and their record in the day was pretty impressive.

4. rbsloan11

rbsloan11 Karting

Apr 25, 2007
    Carmel
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #4 rbsloan11, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They are great driving cars, sort of like a smaller but better sorted and tuned 356 Porsche (and I have owned a few 356's). What I find amazing is the horsepower that Abarth was able to squeeze out of a 750 cc engine was more than Porsche was realizing with it's 1600 cc motors. On top of that the 356 weights another 50% more. It seems history has forgotten the dominance of Abarth in the 50's and 60's both in European and American racing, maybe it was due to the fact FIAT purchased the company in the 1970's and until recently had shelved the name. Just finished a couple year restoration of my twin cam RM - agree with prototypefan - parts are nearly impossible to find and great cars don't come up for sale often.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Freitag

Freitag Karting

Apr 7, 2009
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Helge Mamen
    Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

6. prototypefan

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    Bumpers...rear view mirror....window handles.....steering wheel.....headlight rings....door sills.....front bay surround.....guages........etc

These are some of the bits that separate a good car from a great one.......and the blue car has it all!

Looooooove the two tone interior and the colors. Some days I'm just sick of red sports cars. The blue just screams the period.

Can I have it? :)

7. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Thanks for the input, Rob. Beautiful car! The one I am looking at seems to be a good one.

8. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Is that twin-cam engine renewed or recasted?

9. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Back around 1962 I had one that I used as a daily driver. Lots of fun, but after a few months I gave up and sold it because it was like driving inside a bass drum. Maybe I should have gotten ear plugs instead?

10. prototypefan

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    I loooooove bass!