5300 Strada vs the Daytona Ferrari | FerrariChat

5300 Strada vs the Daytona Ferrari

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by velocetwo, Sep 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #1 velocetwo, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The Bizzarrini is a fantastic looking car but honestly is not much fun to drive on everyday roads. Daytona is a much easier car to live with.

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The Bizzarini is more a race car than a road car.

You can hardly see out of it, which makes it difficult to place on the road.

It must have been a nightmare in traffic.

4. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    There are a few who post here from time to time that would disagree. Getting into the car is difficult but once you are in the drivers seat it's fine.

Somehow modern Ferrari or Lamborghini owners are able to deal with the height issue and they drive them on the street. Bizzarrini was just ahead of his time.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I sat in one, years ago. I couldn't see the limit of the bonnet, and there was hardly any visibility to the rear. Judging the width was also difficult compared to the 911 I had at the time.
    The owner told me he avoided driving it in town.

6. 1turbobrick

1turbobrick Karting

Nov 29, 2011
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Dale W
    Really? I put 1800 miles on one in a 5 day period a couple of years ago. The Daytona must be quite a car...

7. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  8. prototypefan

prototypefan Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2005
    ab, canada
    I'll take the incredible song the Daytona puts out but hands down would rather live with a 5300.

In the city a Daytona is a much more civilized car. Visibility and access are much better. City driving is not where I'd want to drive either of these cars.

You wear a 5300, basically laying down in the cockpit the cars are a delight in the corners. Beartooth Pass, Yellowstone Park and Going to the Sun roads are fond memories. A 350GT accompanied the 5300 and although very accessible as well my vote was for the 5300....by a large margin.

The 5300 never appealed to me in photos.....in the flesh they are impossibly low. Your head is pretty much at the height of the rear tires.

Visibility....schmizibility......rarely is anything beside you :)

9. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
  10. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yeah but he's leaving out the part about how we all had pull him out of the car at every stop! :D LOL

Just kidding. He's a lot younger than some of us too!

I would think that the 350 is a lot easier to get in and out off but oh that maintenance! :eek:

Great sounds though.

My Espada is much easier to get in and out of than my 05 Jag S-type R. Crazy that.

11. licodix

licodix Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    Central
    Full Name:
    Barchetta Mad Max
    What a question: the Daytona is a Ferrari, the other guy was sacked by Enzo :)

12. 1turbobrick

1turbobrick Karting

Nov 29, 2011
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Dale W
    ...after engineering what is possibly the greatest sports racing car the world has seen...the 250 GTO.

And for the record...no one had to pull me out of that car...ever... :) And don't sell yourself short Bob...you're not THAT old...

13. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Absolutely incorrect, it was called a "walk out" for a reason, they all quit. Enzo didn't win every battle.

Yes the Daytona is just another Ferrari, the Bizzarrini is the work of a genius.

14. benmou

benmou Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2015
    LOL, how many 5300 did you own and drive ?
    the 5300 is very easy to drive, steering wheel is light compare to the 365
    ask real owners to have a proper opinion, it s better

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I keep an oil painting in the attic ... ;) I can decode if necessary.

16. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    #16 Sunracer, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Probably more of a GT than the Daytona is?

18. 1turbobrick

1turbobrick Karting

Nov 29, 2011
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Dale W
    700+ miles cruising range and enough trunk space to hold luggage for a couple on a 2-week vacation...I dunno...the Bizzarrini carries the GT persona well, even if it leans more to the "corsa" persona at first glance. Spend a few hours behind the wheel and it becomes a GT. I never once climbed out feeling like I'd had enough. The ride is comfortable. The noise level is quite acceptable and you get to know where to look for mirrors and blind spots. Even city driving isn't terrible as the engine makes enough torque to get you moving without cooking the clutch every time. Sure, the visibility isn't up there with some cars but try driving a Mangusta with no outside mirrors if you want something with no visibility. The Bizzarrini feels like a fishbowl compared to the Mangusta.

The Grifo is a very similar driving experience to the Bizzarrini but the seating position is more upright...more like a Lambo 350 or 400GT. You don't have to be a contortionist to get in or out and visibility is a bit better.

You are right...likely a more apples to apples comparison...

19. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    According to Bill Noon at Symbolic the Grifo is a much better GT than the Daytona and he has sold hundreds of Daytona's.

In addition the Grifo Bill was comparing to the Daytona's had been sitting for over twenty years too.

The Bizzarrini was sold as a Strada and a few were Corsa.

20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have a friend who was determined to buy himself a Daytona. He's a very long time car guy, had a Cord Sportsman back in the 50's that he drove in high school that was followed by a Gull Wing and all sorts of Chrysler 300s and Vettes. So a few years after Daytonas hit the marketplace he kept sampling one after another and while he loved the power the ride and brutal controls just didn't suite him at that time. He referred to it as a half hour car. I've since ridden in another friends beautiful Daytona on a cool early spring morning and after hearing a lot of gearbox crunches I decided I'd pass on driving it at that time. Hopefully another opportunity will arrive when it's warmer out. I guess it's that prehistoric transaxle not being warmed up.

But my other friend never did buy a Daytona. Finally in frustration the salesman threw him a set of key yo a very clean Bora and it was instant love for him. Not quite as fast or powerful but close enough.

Different strokes for different folks.

They are ALL beautiful cars, some with a bit different focus of purpose.

21. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    I haven't heard of many if any disappointed Bora owners, that car has a very loyal following.

22. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There's at least one on Fchat who is a much distressed former Merak owner. To hear him everything broke multiple times on that car leading to catastrophic ending. He firmly believes that the Citroen LHM system is the Devil's spawn LOL :D I don't think he'd like a Bora either.

An awful lot of airplanes used the same exact principle for their hydraulics.

It's usually stupid, ignorant maintenance that is the downfall for those particular models of Maseratis.