Alfa Romeo 4c Depreciation | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo 4c Depreciation

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Fernando250gto, Nov 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fernando250gto

Aug 16, 2009
    Hi i want to put this topic on the table what do you think is going to be the depreciation of the 4c in 3-4 years? is it better to wait for the values to drop down instead of buying a new one?

2. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    Consider this Alfa (Maserati) only has the capacity to build about 2,500 4Cs per year both coupe and spider combined for world wide consumption.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #3 TheMayor, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    They are discontinuing the coupe next year in the US because it won't meet new safety standards of 2017 MY. The Spider is exempt from the new standard and will probably last one more year into 2018. That will be the end of the 4c, a money losing PR "Halo car" stunt that costs Alfa 40 grand just for the CF tub.

My guess is they will come out with a performance version in the last year but no one at Alfa is talking. That car may be a collectable. Right now they are selling about 600- 700 cars in the US a year. I don't see that changing much. So, it's not like you'll find one on every corner lot.

Alfa has no interest in "flooding the market" with cars that it loses money on each one. So, they are tracking to the market instead of sending a bunch here for immediate mark down to get them off the lots.

As you've probably noticed, depreciation hasn't really happened to date yet even though there are new cars coming in. Prices are going up too. The new spider is 10 grand more than the coupe.

Everything depreciates but I don't see them at 1/2 price in 3 years.

4. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I think in 3-4 years it will be slightly better than average (but not by much). But it is a tough call. Ford GT's languished for a while when folks thought they would depreciate and/or buyers weren't willing to pay what in retrospect was a reasonable dealer mark up--they didn't depreciate, some buyers didn't pay, and that ship sailed. I have a Lotus Exige S that I expected to depreciate as bad (or worse) than other cars because they sat on the showroom floors for a long time. Now (8 years later) my car is almost worth what I paid for it (in fact, the local dealer offered me that to sell it back from them). Who knew? It is unlikely that they'll build another car like the 4C--hard to know if the lack of a true manual is a depreciation moderator, accelerator, or not significant.

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #5 TheMayor, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    Look at it this way.

You can get a 2013 Ferrari 458 spider for 70 grand off MSRP -- or the total cost of a 4c. It's all relative. The more expensive the car, the more it depreciates. If you want a car that doesn't depreciate much, buy a cheap new Toyota. How much farther can it fall from 25 grand in 3 years?

6. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Well, if you are talking a recent VW TDI model, farther...

7. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I drove one of these cars at the dealer. In person they are even better looking than pictures.

It is fairly quick car. The salesman said it was quicker off the line than the Corvette. I am not sure of that but it is quick. Enough to be very enjoyable.

The dealer told me that Alfa was planning on introducing 4 models in the US. Who knows if that will happen

I suspect the car will hold value. I say that because the car is stunning to look at. Also it is not expensive as these things go.

As they get older young drivers will love a great looking, inexpensive, and great gas mileage car. I suspect that will keep the demand up and the price.

My fear would be they pull out of the US market and parts would become difficult to get.

Great car! I also liked the Fiat Abarth.

Good luck whatever you do.

Lee

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Anybody tracked one of these yet?

9. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Been talked about before, but does the Lotus Elise impact the 4C with respect to depreciation?

Very similar cars, but if the 4C is a) more of a rarity and b) more money to maintain, that can positively (or negatively) impact the depreciation / appreciation.

10. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Having owned a turbocharged lancia scorpion for way over a decade....I would not buy a preowned limited production alfa 4c.

Car and drivers lightning lap test this year showed the track capability of the 4c was a bit lacking.

Fun to drive I'm sure but outclassed on the track big time by many vehicles....which are easy to maintain.

Jmo unless you want a rare oddity.

11. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I suspect the low numbers may help bolster value. The car may not be for everyone but not everyone can get one either

12. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    The 4C was sold in Europe long before seeing the US. 4C prices in Europe seem to be holding strong, without softness/buying opportunities.

13. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    ??

The US version is not far off the Cayman S on that lap. Most cars tested are far more powerfull.

4C EU version is as fast on the Nürburgring as a Cayman S and Audi R8 V8. And quit a bit of time can be gained with track suspension and new ECU software.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N%C3%BCrburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times

7:56 Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale f1
    7:56.73 Honda NSX-R (NA2) Motoharu Kurosawa -
    7:58.4 Seat Leon Mk3 Cupra Jordi Gené March 2014 SEAT conducted test[85]
    7:59 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z51 Jan Magnussen 2005 General Motors conducted test[citation needed]
    7:59 Cadillac CTS-V (2009) John Heinricy 9 May 2008 General Motors conducted test,[86] video confirmed[87]
    7:59 Porsche 911 Carrera S Walter Röhrl 'Wheels' magazine (06/2004), PASM setting "Performance"[citation needed]
    7:59 Nissan Skyline GT-R R33 V-Spec Dirk Schoysman 1996 Best Motoring - Time Attack / Autocar magazine 97, stock[citation needed][88]
    7:59 Dodge Viper SRT-10 November 2005 Motor Trend[citation needed]
    7:59.74 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S (958.2) Porsche conducted test[89]
    8:01 Nissan Skyline GT-R R33 Motoharu Kurosawa Best Motoring - Video Special DVD Series, Prototype (weight/horsepower different from production car)[citation needed]
    8:02 Mercedes CLK 63 AMG - Black Series Autobild (07/2007)
    8:03 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (2005) Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (10/2005)
    8:03 Porsche 911 GT3 Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (08/1999)
    8:03.86 Honda NSX-R (NA1) Motoharu Kurosawa Best Motoring Video Special Vol. 25 "NA1 NSX-R" (1995), video confirmed
    8:04 Audi R8 V8 Sport Auto (07/2007)[91]
    8:04 Alfa Romeo 4C topspeed.com (09/2013)[92]
    8:04 Porsche Cayman S Walter Röhrl Sport Auto, 19 inch wheels, ceramic brakes.
    8:05 BMW M3 E92
    8:25 Lotus Exige S Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (06/2008)[107]
    8:42 Lotus Exige Mk1 Horst von Saurma

14. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    there are 14 4c's presently offered on eBay, buy-it-now prices from $64K to $95K

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #15 TheMayor, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Alfa is using a planned strategy to hold up Resales values.

So far about 570 cars have been sold to date in the US this year.

Not all of the 120 dealers (mostly Fiat but a few Maserati) have a car on the showroom floor. Dealers can get one or two cars maximum. When they sell a car it can be replaced by Alfa USA. The stronger dealers get more cars.

The Fiat dealers don't mind because they are not stuck with a lot of inventory. There's no need to mark it down or give incentives. They get very few in trade so they don't have a lot of used cars. They also like having a flashy sports car sitting next to a $16 grand Fiat.

Alfa loses money on each 4c they sell. There's no advantage to pushing them into the market. The more they sell, the more they lose. The 4c coupe will go out of production next year due to safety regs. About 1500 -2000 total coupes will be sold in the US by then. That's pretty small given Ferrari sends 3000 458's to the US each year.

The point of the 4c was to get a lot of PR to the brand and get the dealer network set up for future products. And it looks like it's doing just that.

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Whats the weight difference between th coupe and spider.

What are the suspension upgrades and ecu upgrades that are refered to.

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Spider is 22 lbs heavier than the coupe. Of course, the spider lost the coupe's rear glass which is pretty heavy. The front windsceen frame is CF in the spider.

There are some suspension upgrades available. The spider seems to have some different settings than the coupe that make it less of a wanderer.

There is an aftermarket ECU upgrade from Germany that claims 300 HP.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    same rigidity?

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Same. It's the same tub.

Like the McLaren, you can remove the entire body and still run the car. It's just a shell attached to the chassis (and glued in places) but gives no strength.

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    So where does the the 20 lbs come from, the roof is a liftoff piece, is it that much ehavier ir does the windsheild surround add weight.

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Fixed it for you!
    :D :D :D

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    True! But the same can be said for a 246 Dino Gt and I don't see that erasing it's popularity.

I'm so sick and tired of car makers making every car for people 6 foot 7 and 400 lbs!

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You're worried about 22 lbs? :)

I think they beefed up some of the CF for safety regs. The roof and latches added some weight (the coupe's roof is just glued on). But the car has the same stiffness as the coupe.

Biggest downside is the cost. It's a 10 grand option, which seems like a lot for a targa. If you want the removable roof in CF, it's $3500.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Just curious where the extra weight sits, 20lbs on the roof area is very significant, 20lbs on the floor somewhat irrelevant.

25. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #25 ralfabco, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    I want them to make em even smaller on the inside.

The Stratos is my type of car.

I fit in everything.

The 4C is kewl :).

In addition to production numbers (supply and demand sets the price), I would imagine the long term (10 year) depreciation curve will ride on how well Alfa performs or does not perform in the U.S. ...service, parts availability, dealer profitability, automobile reliability, quality of product, and realistic goals. I remember spot rust on brand-new Maserati bi-turbo models sitting on the lot. Will Alfa make it ?