Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Other Cars > Other Italian

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2015, 02:17 AM
Five Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Alfa Romeo Giulia

I thought I would start a thread just on this car as it's finally coming to America.

Here's the opening at the LA Auto show. Impressive statistics.

Alfa Romeo Giulia on Livestream

Autoblog

Alfa Romeo Giulia is the sexiest starlet in LA

Generally, there's a fair amount of debate about what the best-looking car at any given auto show may be. We, however, humbly submit that for the 2015 LA Auto Show, there's no point in arguing it's the Alfa Romeo Giulia.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:47 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Thomas
Alfa Romeo has always produced some beautiful cars. Was in Italy last week and the street of course over there is flooded with them. Hold my opinion on this new offering until I see it in person. But what a great promo for the car. Ferrari could learn a lesson from Alfa on how to debut their latest models.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:54 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Saw it live already in Frankfurt. IMO It looks ok, but somehow also a bit dated. I find the Maserati Ghibli better looking irl.

Best part about it is the interior.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:26 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMayor View Post
I thought I would start a thread just on this car as it's finally coming to America.

Here's the opening at the LA Auto show. Impressive statistics.

Alfa Romeo Giulia on Livestream

Autoblog

Alfa Romeo Giulia is the sexiest starlet in LA

Generally, there's a fair amount of debate about what the best-looking car at any given auto show may be. We, however, humbly submit that for the 2015 LA Auto Show, there's no point in arguing it's the Alfa Romeo Giulia.
Mayor are you planning on purchasing one?
Old 11-19-2015, 08:51 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Tom Tanner
It does look dated, but still a nice looking car. I think they could have done a lot better on the front end. What's under the skin is very nice on this version I think everyone agrees. This version will take Maserati Ghibli sales away after it starts production I have no doubt.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:01 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Thomas
I think you're right about it taking some of Maserati's steam away. I'm not loving the styling. Its a bit too flat for my taste. Alfa's typically are more sleek. Again, have to see it in person.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

our dealer picked up Alfa and I asked to be put "top of list" for the Giulia the minute it first leaked.

Have not seen in person, but I actually like it more than the BMW's and Audi's. Of course, we have not owned a "4 door sedan" in any form for over 15 years, but this one seems like it could be fun if it ends up arriving here. I sort of think Nurburgring times are a bit of false PR, but if this car did what they quote, it has a chance as a niche car.

Alfa (and Maserati) announced some serious delays and cutbacks a few weeks ago; Maserati sort of shutting down for 6 weeks and Alfa delaying their product launch windows by up to 6 months, so we'll see "if and when" these cars arrive, and by then hopefully it's still as promising. It will be interesting to see how long it takes Alfa to put a DCT in there, we can have the "purist" argument but the mass market probably won't buy high volumes in a manual.

Re the Ghibli....we actually ended up with one as a loaner from our dealer for 4 days, it was a well equipped S Q4 model (high $80K MSRP). My views might be different if I were going to pay for it, but I found the car itself to be quite good, it definitely has an edge on the BMW and Audi in some respects. It has a bit of Chrysler in it (vs. good old Bavarian), but the looks grew on me and the engine more than proved itself. IF we were buying a 4-door, I'd absolutely consider it.

The Giulia Quadrifoglio is sort of a different beast, but I can see some quick market and channel conflict between a "regular" Giulia and the Ghibli.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:03 AM
F1 Rookie
Banned User

Full Name: Rick
Hot car.

Pretty incredible to note that it is only a tick off of the Ferrari FF 0-60 time (3.8s vs 3.7s).

When is it due to be available in the US?
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 11-21-2015, 12:56 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Delayed until Q2 which likely means late summer. The car is stunning in a rugged sort of way ... The proportions are very masculine, looks tough as nails just standing still. And it has a stick! Now we'll see just how serious all these "purists" are by how many manuals they actually sell. Early reports said a dual clutch would also be available, but now I'm hearing torque converter 8-speed, basically same tranny in the new Jag SE. I've always loved Audi but they can lack passion, the new C Class looks promising but perhaps soft, and BMW has lost some mojo ... I think Jag and Alfa can make some noise in this segment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2015, 12:57 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Sorry, meant Jag XE

Old 11-21-2015, 01:02 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Jaz
Giulia looks great - tech specs are fantastic - But how will build quality and reliability stack up ?
Old 11-21-2015, 01:42 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Audi Fan View Post
Delayed until Q2 which likely means late summer. The car is stunning in a rugged sort of way ... The proportions are very masculine, looks tough as nails just standing still. And it has a stick! Now we'll see just how serious all these "purists" are by how many manuals they actually sell. Early reports said a dual clutch would also be available, but now I'm hearing torque converter 8-speed, basically same tranny in the new Jag SE. I've always loved Audi but they can lack passion, the new C Class looks promising but perhaps soft, and BMW has lost some mojo ... I think Jag and Alfa can make some noise in this segment.

Yep, German cars in that segment are a dime a dozen in these parts.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1tommy View Post
..... This version will take Maserati Ghibli sales away after it starts production I have no doubt.
That was my first thought as well, but then if you break it down not as much as you would first think. The Giulia Quad is smaller (think 3 series vs 5 series) and it is not available in AWD. RWD Ghiblis are a hard sell North of the Mason Dixon line.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:10 PM
Five Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Give 'em credit for making a manual. But I wonder how many dealers will order it that way. Despite what Alfa says, you can't order a car. My guess is very few dealers will click the "manual" option for this car.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:03 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

I haven't seen pricing? Do we want to do a pool that they will miss their target price points :-)
Old 11-23-2015, 09:12 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Pete
The quad won't have awd but the other models should be available with it. the 2.0t could be tempting with rwd and a stick as a DD.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 11-24-2015, 04:25 PM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

i think they missed on the styling a little....i'm guessing they were thinking of the american market when they designed it, and decided to go for muscular, rather than beautiful....i miss the brera...
Old 11-24-2015, 04:42 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Tom Tanner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsd View Post
I haven't seen pricing? Do we want to do a pool that they will miss their target price points :-)
The regular N.A. Giulia starts at 40,000.00 and the V6 Turbo starts at 70,000.00 US.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:41 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Matt
So you have the Giulia, the M3 and the Caddy ATS V all priced in a similar ballpark and all offered with 6 speeds. Alfa now has the Configurator online. This thing is going to look hot as hell in person.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:02 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1tommy View Post
The regular N.A. Giulia starts at 40,000.00 and the V6 Turbo starts at 70,000.00 US.
I'm not aware of an n.a. Giulia, base is 2.0t with 276hp starting upper 30's afaik.