Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Other Cars > Other Italian

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #281  
Old 03-19-2017, 09:47 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Westchester, NY
Full Name: Paul
Posts: 5,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMayor View Post
Do yourself a favor and drive a C7 with a manual box first. I hated the 7 speeds. It was a gear too far. I kept shifting into the wrong gear (like 7th instead of 5th, or 5th instead of 3rd when downshifting). Also they have this stupid lock out that makes you go from 1 to 4 at low speeds. Every time I was making a left turn I was fighting it. Apparently someone sells a work around but I didn't want to do that.

And, turn off the auto rev match as it ruins everything. It's like the old VW auto shift. What's the point? "Oh look! I can almost use a clutch!"

The C7 is a GT, not a sports car. It's designed for daily driving. I had the Zr1 package and even with the limited slip I felt the rear was going to come out on me when accelerating hard.

If you are in bad pot hole nation you MUST get the magnaride. I would have to say this works really well.

I hated the V4 mode. The exhaust sounds weird and it keeps going back and forth between V4 and V8 all the time. Annoying but you can turn that off.

Also, I hated the steering. It's like a video game. Someone programmed it to be hard at high speed and super easy at low speed -- the opposite of what your brain thinks should be happening. The problem is when these two things cross the steering feels like it has a mind of it's own. God I hate electric steering!

For all the belly aching that you can't see out the back of a 4c, I guess they never sat in the C7!

It's not an Italian car. It just felt like a chevy to me. It has really good creature comfort though -- good seats, AC, stereo, etc. --- but not special. Still they sell about 30,000 of them a year (the most of any 2 seaters in the world) and the 4c barely reaches 600 in the US.

But if you want a 2 seater DD sports GT its this or a Porsche IMO. It's a really fine car if that's what you really want.
Thanks M!

I often wondered how the original 930 got by with only 4 speeds..lol..agree that the 7 speed is silly given the amount of torque the c7 has. I despise the new electric steering too...that's another point in favor of the Alfa. God I love the steering in my 1982 SC. If only the Alfa came with a manual....I do think the Alfa is the new Dino...

I was in vegas a few weeks back and you can eat off the roads there compared to the crap that masquerades as roads here in the north east-that's why I'm thinking magna ride system in the C7 is huge.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #282  
Old 03-19-2017, 10:17 PM
TheMayor's Avatar
Four Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vegas baby
Posts: 49,226
I would have to say that Magnaride is probably one of the best inventions to come out of GM in a long time. Even F cars use them.

I liked to put my 458 into "bumpy road" mode but keep it in "race". I heard that was Schumacher's idea so who am I to question him?

You might want to look for a good used F California.
__________________
"A Dino is not a Ferrari. It's better." "When you buy a Ferrari you marry your mechanic." "Owning a Ferrari is like eating peanuts. You can't stop with just one."
Reply With Quote
  #283  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:38 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Gladwyne PA
Full Name: Morrie
Posts: 2,306
I am not used to agreeing so much, but as a C7 (with all the goodies) past owner I have to say the Mayor is pretty much straight on target. I made a lot of modifications to try and make the C7 enjoyable for me but after a year it had 805 miles, so I said so long. I have had a few vettes over the years and as far as creature comforts it was the best of them. You could always try to find a F type with a gearshift, though I hated the 2017 F type R (that had 810 miles before I offered it to my girlfriend), but the RWD gearshift cars might be fun.
Reply With Quote
  #284  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:32 AM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Westchester, NY
Full Name: Paul
Posts: 5,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMayor View Post
I would have to say that Magnaride is probably one of the best inventions to come out of GM in a long time. Even F cars use them.

I liked to put my 458 into "bumpy road" mode but keep it in "race". I heard that was Schumacher's idea so who am I to question him?

You might want to look for a good used F California.
Thanks. The maintenance costs are what scare me on the Ferrari but truth be told I'm not familiar with the Cali; i will peruse that thread.
Reply With Quote
  #285  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:38 AM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Westchester, NY
Full Name: Paul
Posts: 5,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
I am not used to agreeing so much, but as a C7 (with all the goodies) past owner I have to say the Mayor is pretty much straight on target. I made a lot of modifications to try and make the C7 enjoyable for me but after a year it had 805 miles, so I said so long. I have had a few vettes over the years and as far as creature comforts it was the best of them. You could always try to find a F type with a gearshift, though I hated the 2017 F type R (that had 810 miles before I offered it to my girlfriend), but the RWD gearshift cars might be fun.
looking at all the reviews it seemed that the C7 was the greatest car ever made but reading real world comments has opened my eyes more....the only Jag with a manual is the base V-6 but it does have a sweet sounding motor....
Reply With Quote
  #286  
Old 03-20-2017, 11:15 AM
TheMayor's Avatar
Four Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vegas baby
Posts: 49,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic308 View Post
Thanks. The maintenance costs are what scare me on the Ferrari but truth be told I'm not familiar with the Cali; i will peruse that thread.
Maintenance is about $1200 a year. Repairs however....
__________________
"A Dino is not a Ferrari. It's better." "When you buy a Ferrari you marry your mechanic." "Owning a Ferrari is like eating peanuts. You can't stop with just one."
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 AM
TheMayor's Avatar
Four Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vegas baby
Posts: 49,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic308 View Post
looking at all the reviews it seemed that the C7 was the greatest car ever made but reading real world comments has opened my eyes more....the only Jag with a manual is the base V-6 but it does have a sweet sounding motor....
Never believe the motoring press.
__________________
"A Dino is not a Ferrari. It's better." "When you buy a Ferrari you marry your mechanic." "Owning a Ferrari is like eating peanuts. You can't stop with just one."
Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old 03-20-2017, 06:16 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMayor View Post
Maintenance is about $1200 a year. Repairs however....
Like the look but there a fair amount of chatter about gear boxes that seemed like huge financial hits. Perhaps there better/cheaper fixes these day.
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #289  
Old 03-20-2017, 06:37 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chicago
Full Name: Philip
Posts: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags747 View Post
Supercar Superbuild - Alfa Romeo 4C, probably posted before but much more in depth than How it's made.

http://youtu.be/GKAdIWkUiKk
Unfortunately this has been taken down. Shame, it was really good.
Reply With Quote
  #290  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:37 PM
TheMayor's Avatar
Four Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vegas baby
Posts: 49,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
Like the look but there a fair amount of chatter about gear boxes that seemed like huge financial hits. Perhaps there better/cheaper fixes these day.
A lot of those have already been replaced.
__________________
"A Dino is not a Ferrari. It's better." "When you buy a Ferrari you marry your mechanic." "Owning a Ferrari is like eating peanuts. You can't stop with just one."
Reply With Quote
  #291  
Old 03-20-2017, 09:47 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Burbank, CA
Full Name: Tom
Posts: 1,073
I just added the speed shift kit to mine yesterday. What a difference in feel. Definitely worth the upgrade.
Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 PM
TheMayor's Avatar
Four Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vegas baby
Posts: 49,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Tom View Post
I just added the speed shift kit to mine yesterday. What a difference in feel. Definitely worth the upgrade.
How did you do that?
__________________
"A Dino is not a Ferrari. It's better." "When you buy a Ferrari you marry your mechanic." "Owning a Ferrari is like eating peanuts. You can't stop with just one."
Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 03-21-2017, 07:29 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York
Full Name: Matt
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by pma1010 View Post
Unfortunately this has been taken down. Shame, it was really good.
Agreed, never thought to save it and now I could kick myself. Not sure what the purpose was to take it down.
Reply With Quote
  #294  
Old 03-21-2017, 11:06 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Burbank, CA
Full Name: Tom
Posts: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMayor View Post
How did you do that?
Eduard Pogea is in town right now visiting me. He brought the flash drive with him. I'm not sure who offers this currently besides Pogea. Though, I believe I have seen it elsewhere, just not sure where it was.

I'll ask him what he plans to do with it.

Is your car in Vegas?
Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old 03-22-2017, 05:13 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Gladwyne PA
Full Name: Morrie
Posts: 2,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Tom View Post
Eduard Pogea is in town right now visiting me. He brought the flash drive with him. I'm not sure who offers this currently besides Pogea. Though, I believe I have seen it elsewhere, just not sure where it was.

I'll ask him what he plans to do with it.

Is your car in Vegas?
Sounds like something worth checking out.
Reply With Quote
  #296  
Old 03-23-2017, 05:14 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Gladwyne PA
Full Name: Morrie
Posts: 2,306
My 4C was delivered yesterday, only had time for a quick spin, but it is a lot of fun. cannot wait till I get past 155 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1551.JPG (166.6 KB, 108 views)
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #297  
Old 03-23-2017, 09:27 AM
TheMayor's Avatar
Four Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vegas baby
Posts: 49,226
Beauty! Looks like a nice spring day as well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (61.4 KB, 97 views)
__________________
"A Dino is not a Ferrari. It's better." "When you buy a Ferrari you marry your mechanic." "Owning a Ferrari is like eating peanuts. You can't stop with just one."
Reply With Quote
  #298  
Old 03-23-2017, 11:43 AM
914 914 is offline
Karting
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Belgium
Full Name: Maarten
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by pma1010 View Post
Unfortunately this has been taken down. Shame, it was really good.
Damn, never got around to watch the complete episode (only the first 15 minutes or so).

Anybody saved it? Let me know by pm
Reply With Quote
  #299  
Old 03-23-2017, 01:14 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Gladwyne PA
Full Name: Morrie
Posts: 2,306
Okay just came back from a nice ride in the 4C. I am not able to go into dynamic or race mode yet so I could only use normal mode. I did not find the steering heavy at low speeds at all (and with my arthritis I thought it might be hard), and I am not exactly Hercules. The seats and driving position were perfect for me, and no issues get in and out of the car. I left my hearing aids at home so it was not that loud could even hear Pandora (of course the dead was playing) streaming from my phone. I'm not sure why they bother with a rear view mirror cannot see much. I have a Navdy unit so I might see if it fits (Miata windshield was too close to dash) so I will have a heads up display. It is in the 30's so I did not push the car that hard but I could not get it to break loose even on very cold roads. My only regret is I waited as long as I did, I love it!
Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 03-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Full Name: Chris
Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
My only regret is I waited as long as I did, I love it!
The best review possible. Enjoy your 4c!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.