4C vs Dino 308 GT4 | FerrariChat

4C vs Dino 308 GT4

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Aug 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I'd like to hear the forum opinion on choosing between the two.

I have driven 4C and was left in awe, in fact I think the 4C has fundamentally changed the way I look at cars, drove one for around an hour and got out feeling very special. Its just such an event, from the moment you clamber over the sill to the moment you turn off the ignition. The level of agility is frankly amazing but the problem with this is you feel inclined to "race" everywhere, the car just begs you to drive it.

It attracts a huge amount of attention and I could spend hours looking at it.

Have not driven a Dino 308 GT4 and unfortunately it seem to be the unloved member of he Dino/Ferrari line up. Of course its not fair to judge a 30+ year old fully restored Ferrari against a brand new Alfa. I am going to drive the GT4 and see how I feel about it. This particular example is green which doesn't really help much but it is a concurs winner.

I like driving, for me I am happy to go for a drive at 5am to make the most of quiet roads, seek out mountain passes and the numbers really aren't important to me but how the car handles, reacts and how I can immerse my mind into it are important factors.

Which one would you pick?

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

really? the 4c was that good? great to hear! I wonder how good the giulia will be??

3. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    It was outstanding, admittedly I didn't drive it on bumpy poorly surfaced roads. The car has this "mini Ferrari" feel to it. The door handles seem to be the exact same as on the 458.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #4 TheMayor, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    I own a 4c, have owned a carb 308GTB and a 308GTSi, and driven several 308 GT4's.

These cars are apples and oranges. The 4c would run rings around 80's F cars performance wise but it lacks some of the classic Ferrari sounds and driving emotion of having a clutch pedal. The 4c reminds me a lot of 80's rally cars with giant turbos and pop off valve noises.

It is typically Alfa. They take off the shelf mass produced items (like engines and gearboxes), gussy them up for performance purposes, and stick them in a beautiful body at a reasonable price.

The interesting thing about the 4c is that it's honest. No tuning the exhaust, no trying to hide the sound of the turbo, no worry about mechanical noises from behind.

It doesn't care if you think the radio sucks. It doesn't care if the seats don't go back much. It doesn't care if you have to prop open the trunk with a stick.

It's just "sports car" and for that, it's unique in today's market -- take it or leave it.

I don't believe we will ever seen another mass produced car like it again. And, that's a pity.

5. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Thanks, will give the GT4 a drive and see what I think of it.

In terms of Alfa's at the moment I have a 916 GTV 3.0, huge pity this car didn't make it stateside, the sound of the V6 belongs to a very different era, it might be one of the best sounding V6's ever made.

The bold part is very, very true in my opinion.

6. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I have a 4c and 308GTSi...to me the 4c feels like driving the updated version of the 308. Both cars are an "event" when you drive them.
    The 308 is relatively slow, but great steering feel, intoxicating sound and the feeling that it is "special."
    The 4c is faster, also great steering feel, different but equally interesting noises. And it does feel like a special occasion every time you drive it.

I think they are both about the "drive" part of enjoying the car. The Alfa just does it faster. The dual clutch/paddle shift has upset some people, but I think in this car it just works well and may be necessary (because of packaging constraints and the relatively "peaky" engine. I think it is almost as engaging as a manual. It shifts quickly, lets you focus on hitting your corners and braking. And then when you are tired on the way home let it sit in auto...
    Can't go wrong with either.

7. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    The 4C comes with a warranty :)