Fiat 500 - Engine Failure | FerrariChat

Fiat 500 - Engine Failure

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Sledge4.2, Oct 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I purchased one of the very first Fiat 500's in the US market, a black 500 sport 5 speed. L

Like all my cars, routinely serviced and cared for.

At 53,000 miles the engine let go.

Not sure the exact mode of failure, its a mix of steam and oil smoke out the tail pipe. Its 3,000 miles and 10 months off warranty an the dealer wants $6.5k for a new short block.

I have a claim into Fiat, not sure what they are going to do.

Geno

2. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I have a 13 Abarth with 20k miles and no issues. My cousin also with a 13 Abarth with 27k miles just had her engine replaced under warranty, I believe they determined one of the cylinders was scorched due to not enough oil to that cylinder. Don't know all the details. Let us know what they finally decide. What are u going to do if they choose not to cover? Value of the car is probably not much more.

3. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Damn Mexican cars.

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Do some research into TSBs that might apply in your situation and determine if the dealer followed them if there were any. Might give you some leverage in pursuing your claim. 3K and 10 months may also be close enough for Fiat to "goodwill" the repair. Good luck.

5. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I was right on the verge of buying a 4c, holding off on that until they decide what to do, if anything. Will research bulletins, good idea.

6. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    This is a common problem on early production 500's. Cant find the links right now, but I have messages out to a few folks

7. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    That would be helpful thank you

8. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Seems to me that you should be able to find a used engine for short money, and then just drop it in for much less than $6500.

Good luck!

9. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Around Los Angeles, you can buy a whole used 500 for $6500.

10. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Steam and oil coming out of the exhaust seems more likely to be some form of top end failure... so offering a short block replacement doesn't make any sense. More info required but agree a second hand engine seems a sensible route if no warranty assistance forthcoming.

11. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Probably head gasket..

Happened to quite some Fiat Punto's and Lancia Ypsilon's in the past as well....

12. Yes, probably a head gasket. If you go the do it yourself route, Ebay has many engines for sale from about $425 & up. That sucks. You would think something like that wouldn't happen on a car with that mileage.

13. Jeanie Fetz

Jeanie Fetz Rookie

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jeanie Fetz
    Hi, I have had a similar issue. My 2012 fiat pop has 53662 miles. I've well taken care of it. It's a 5spd, all recalls repaired, synthetic oil, premium gas. Valves clicking, took to dealer . They ran a compression test, found fuel was being sucked into valve area and no oil. I checked oil frequently and was full. Never over filled. Leaks in front. No warning, no warning light. Contacted fiat company, they aren't doing a thing. And the cost of extended warranty is about the same as a new engine. Like you I'm over the mileage (barely) and 6months ended. I get the feeling they knew this. I loved my car, but looked at value and realized they haven't done anything to better this issue. I don't want another car payment, is it worth it? Knowing that more than likely another 53k down the road I'll need another engine?