Alfa 33 Stradale: most beautiful car ever made/ Jaguar E-type: vulgar and ugly | FerrariChat

Alfa 33 Stradale: most beautiful car ever made/ Jaguar E-type: vulgar and ugly

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Luxb1, Dec 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    #1 Luxb1, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    I am writing a book on investing in vintage cars. It includes my vision on price paths, 10 years, 20 years and 30 years out. Basically, and without going into too much detail, I believe that we are in a bubble and that the electric instant-torque revolution at hand will flip the supercar and vintage markets on their heads. I am known for holding contrarian opinions and sticking to them (you can read some of them on other threads).
    Here is one: I think the E-type is downright ugly, even the roadsters. The 2+2 version could very well be the must revolting car of all time. Since no one would buy it solely for the handling, where does that leave us? In real monetary terms, even the nicest examples (except for the lightweights) can go nowhere but down.

Opinions?

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Utterly wrong on the Jag E-type. I don't agree with electric cars causing the vintage market to plunge. It could further fuel the vintage market, at least for the next 20-30 years.

3. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Why don't you do a little research and find out what Enzo Ferrari had to say about the E-type.

It's one thing to be just a contrarian, but to try to get a rise out of enthusiasts with such ridiculous opinions paints you as just an ******. Good luck with that book!

4. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    Not trying to get a rise. I am not Enzo, I know full well what some people claim that he said about the E-type (I think it is a bogus quote if you ask me) and different people have different tastes. I think the car is ill-proportioned. Front-engined sports cars need less rounded sides, otherwise they don't look purposeful, and the hood on the E-type is way too long. Look at the 275 and at Panoz's Esperante racer. That's the way to do it. The low-drag coupés do look good though, mainly because the sweeping roof complements the hips at the rear.

I am asking because I want to know what people see in the design.

5. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    Opinion: You are at odds with 99.99% of people. The E type is widely regarded as one of the prettiest cars ever.

6. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Why is this in the Italian section when it is discussing the e-type?

7. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    Ah ah, yes, I realize that is quite contrarian position, but I don't think it is that contrarian. There must be more than a few tiffosi who also think the E-type looks odd.

8. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    Ah, yes, I actually forgot to discuss it, but I think the Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale is the most beautiful car of all time. I was going to compare the two but I didn't.

9. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Odd, because I agree with you on the Alfa 33 Stradale but disagree completely regarding the E-type (though I really don't like the 2+2 cars at all . . . too bulbous). Tough to compare the 2 cars since one was a production car while the 33 clearly wasn't.

In interest of full disclosure, I have a series 1 E-type coupe in my garage now. I'm probably even in the minority in preferring the lines of the coupe over the droptop. That said, function is driving at least some of the E-type's form, i.e. the engine is a large inline-6 requiring a fairly long hood. It probable could've been paired down a few inches. But between the long engine, room for belt driven fan and accessories, radiator etc, plus sufficient length to accommodate the front end taper, there's really not a lot of extra length.

I could see why some people might not like the design. After all, different strokes for different folks and there're probably a few people out there who actually liked the look of the Pontiac Aztek. But I can't see how one can call the E-type design outright ugly, other than for the sake of drawing attention to oneself.

I for one don't care for the design of the Ferrari 328 (too much front end overhang) but like the 308GT4 (Euro bumpers only). But I'm in the vast minority and couldn't with a straight face call the 328 ugly, unless my purpose was to stir up some sh#t. I suspect that while you might not genuinely care for the E-type design, you're largely trying to stir up some sh#t. Nothing wrong with that I suppose. It gets the dialogue going.

10. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Alfa Romeo 33 is indeed one of the most beautiful ever. As for the E-type, I would't call it ugly but to me it does look clumsy from some angles...

11. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Opinions? Yes, exactly. You point out that your thoughts on the E-Type are opinions, yet state as absolute fact that no one would buy it for the handling, so why would anyone possibly buy one...

Perhaps your contrarian opinion is in the minority? Yes, that actually is extremely likely. You don't have to like it, but it's foolish to pretend that many millions of people don't love the shape and style of the E-Type - they do.

For example - I think the Maserati MC-12 is grotesque, especially with the anteater nose. The huge, monstrous overhang is ridiculous... in my opinion. I certainly don't go around pretending or assuming that everyone shares my opinion, I readily acknowledge that my opinion is in the minority. That won't change my opinion, but I also don't try to persuade others that my opinion is better than or worth more than anyone else's.

Yeah, Alfa 33 - what? Silly to throw that in the thread title and then completely ignore it. Your post/thread should be moved to the British cars forum section.

12. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad

There is one color the MC-12 looks really good in: black.

13. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    I've just realized something: it isn't just the E-type that I dislike. I have never actively pursued any British car. They have never interested me for some reason. The only British cars I really like are the ones dressed by Italian coachbuilders.
    I think the other problem is that the E-type's design is too arrogant, and that annoys me. Arrogant and bold design should be left to the Italians and no one else.

14. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Why do I think a simple IP address check will show a location closer to a trailer park than Monaco...

15. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    lol, roflmao. No, not right now.

Think even lower, better, tax rates.

16. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    The e type's strength was not only looks but its advanced manufacturing
    It used a unibody center with lightweight tubes up front, not to mention
    Disc brakes. This design was later used by GTO designer Giotto Bizzarrini
    when he built the class winning Iso Rivolta A3C .

17. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hmmm, writing a book, unsubscribed, stirring up s**t and a very low post count.

I wonder how long it will take someone to catch up with what's going on here ... ;)

18. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    Yes, please pray tell what is going on here. What's the problem with not being subscribed? What's the problem with having a low post count? You have a high post count. I would see that as a bigger problem. Are you on a wheelchair?

19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The owners usually take action against someone promoting their business ventures WO paying for that privilege. Even just being subscribed is not enough. Your statistics indicate that's exactly what you're doing.

20. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    #20 Luxb1, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    You are wrong. But then again, you have a photo of a Lamborghini Espada in your gallery up there, so that's no surprise.

21. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    #21 ypsilon, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    #22 Luxb1, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    That is gorgeous, but the version with the cut wing always irked me. I remember hearing Max Mosley say something like this about clipping the car's wings: "If the good students win everything, then all the lesser students will stop showing up, and then we will have no races."

23. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    OK. Step up your self promotion and see.

24. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  25. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    What self promotion? My name isn't even on that profile thingy on the right.