Maybe 124 spider sales ain't so bad | FerrariChat

Maybe 124 spider sales ain't so bad

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Aug 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1 TheMayor, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I found this interesting.

124 spider sales are about 50% of the amount of 500 sales the last few months --which have been pretty flat for about 2 years. Its not like 500 sales are dropping significantly, but there is a slight downturn from last year.

The 124 is on target to sell about 6000 units this year in the US, which is pretty surprising. I'm sure some of these are pretty aggressive lease deals or rebates but a sale is a sale.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Sales took a dip in July.

US 124 Spider sales for July - 450

3. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Saw my first one on the street recently. Assume sales pale in comparison to the Miata on which it was based.

4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #4 TheMayor, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    About double, maybe a bit more -- but there are many more Mazda dealers than Fiat.

I think the Fiat was designed more for older people and the Mazda younger. I can't see the retro thing appealing to 20 somethings.

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Mazda sales did the same. It seems they follow similar paths.

6. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I had a 1995 Miata I bought new and kept it 7 years. It was a very fun car. Needed more oomph (133 bhp), but the aftermarket took care of that with a supercharger and then a turbo. I think Mazda did a great job with the styling, with many regarding it as cute and fun.

I think you maybe right about the appeal of the 124 with fond memories of the 124 of yesteryear being rekindled by "people of a certain age". If one of my children were in the market for a sporty car and weighing up between the two, I think it would be a simple decision in favor of the Mazda for the reason you highlight. Given this, I am not sure how much commercial success the 124 can achieve.

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #7 TheMayor, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    The only good thing I can think is

1) Fiat dealers have a car that sells about 1/2 of what 500's do -- and at a much higher price. Actual dollars brought in might be close to 70%

2) Mazda said they would not have made the new Miata without Fiat also taking it. So, the new Miata lives thanks to Fiat.

I don't like the styling. The original was so much better. But, I can see it's appeal to women and older people where the Miata is just too cutting edge. Clearly there's a purpose for this car in the market or no one would buy one over the Miata.

Fiat isn't interested in enthusiasts. Most of their cars are auto boxes. And, its almost impossible to get a manual in the Lusso version which has more equipment and a nicer interior. Abarth also hard to get a manual.

8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I like the new 124 I have never had any interest in the Miata just never did for me and I always liked the original 124 but never bought one .. now the new 124 maybe one day ..
    I hope they do well..

9. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I appreciate Miatas for what they are but would never buy one unless to purely track. They do nothing for me and seem too tiny.

The Fiat 124 on the other hand I really like. I would actually consider a 124 Abarth if it had 200 horses or more. They look really good in person and while they're small they don't seem tiny like the Miata.

10. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I actually like the looks of the new Miata better, just seems more sports car like and kind of wish Fiat would have done a more swoopy version instead of retro. Would still do the 124 Abarth and probably will when I tire of my 500. The seating in the 124 seems kind of high to me, wish you could sit a little lower in the car. Yes it's lower than the 500 but still not low enough in the car...anyone else experience this?

11. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    Actually, Mazda historically sells the most Miatas to empty-nesters. Not necessarily what you'd think, but that's the way it turns out. 20-somethings can't afford a $30,000 toy car.

12. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    #12 WJGESQ, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    No one here has one yet?