Why is Bentley not racing? | FerrariChat

Why is Bentley not racing?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Gran Drewismo, Dec 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    After watching Chasing Classic Cars last night, I got to thinking today (which is dangerous): why is Bentley not racing? Or better yet, why is there not a Bentley racing somewhere?

With a company rich in heritage I would think they would be. Perhaps its because there is no money for a factory based team (?).

So, if the factory is unwilling or unable to race themselves where are the privateers? I am guessing it's because there isn't a suitable car?

The Continental GT is a big, heavy, luxurious, grand touring car. But if there are teams campaigning Aston Martin's, certainly a CGT could be modified for racing. Remove the AWD system, chuck out all the luxury and certainly the ol' girl would be feeling light on her feet.

With Bentley releasing the Super Sports and touting it's biofuel capabilities, certainly this would make a great tie-in or promotional product.

What are your thoughts?

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    The problem with big conglomerates like VW is how to get all brands in motorsport without competing with yourself. So as long as Audi has a major presence in LMS/ALMS, I don't expect to see Bentley there. Remember the year they revadged the Audi R8 as a bentley and won Lemans? One or the other, not both...

Would be interesting to see a CGT in FIA GT or GT2, etc but I think that is a marketing issue- the CGT competes with the Merc CL and the BMW 6 more than the Astons, Porsches, Ferraris, Vettes and so forth.

So basically it comes down to brand strategy and corporate marketing, the real driving force in racing...

3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    FIA GT/GT2 or ALMS is where I picture a Bentley racing. Do you think the Bentley and/or VAG would prevent a privateer from running a car if it was found to be competitive?

There's just something about a BRG Contintental GT barreling down a long straight invoking memories of the Bentley Boys that gets my blood going! :) Too bad marketing would likely get in the way.

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Bentley is in the LUXURY car market, not the sportscar market.

Competition wouldn't bring anything to the brand, that can easily rest on its past.

Bentley sees itself competing against Rolls-Royce, Maybach, Mercedes, etc... not against Porsche, Ferrari or Aston Martin.

There is nothing remotely sporty their range, and they don't position themselves as sportscars manufacturer at all.

Their last foray in endurance racing and their Le Mans victory was blatant 'badge engineering' and frankly did nothing for their image.

An AUDI painted green with a winged B badge and entered by a German-speaking crew doesn't bode well for the Bentley traditional customers!! It's farcical !!!

5. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    As everyone has stated, its an Audi, and a luxury brand. Would have to be a privateer entry.

6. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Maybe on your side of the pond, but the rappers and other neuvo-showoffs did not give Bentley the time of day until after the little LeMans badge engineered victory. As the Badge is all that matters to too many in this world. I would say that here in the US of A, the "traditional" Bentley customers like my grandfather have been dead for half a generation. I have meet many a Continental GT/Flying Spur driver, and in the DC area there are now too many to be considered exotics anymore, who considered them against the 911 and Aston Martins, as well as against the offerings of Mercedes. A Continental GT would be a great fit on the courses of the world against the 911's and Aston's.

VAG can run the Audi's as prototypes and the Bentley's in GT, but now that they are once again reunited with once astranged cousins at Porsche, there could be trouble with the prototype and the GT overlap in the family.

7. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  9. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yes it is. I am stoked for it.

I must say, PWC is really getting interesting. I dismissed it several years ago as a second rate wanna be series compared to Grand Am and ALMS. But since TUSCC isn't exactly the amazing series it was hyped to be, I'm thinking I may switch to watching more World Challenge.

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    PWC is great, their biggest struggle now IMO is their schedule...right now they're basically an Indycar support series, with some other random races thrown in (Miller, NJMP, Branierd, etc). they used to run a lot with ALMS but after the "merger" there, lost their spot to Continental Tire. I'd love to see them highlight a race weekend, not be an appetizer or dessert.

also I think PWC should be run as the last event the weekend of the SCCA Runoffs :)

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Great news for Bentley, Dyson and PWC.

The fact that Bentley are returning to their racing roots is good news all 'round. That
    Bentley is considered a luxury brand rather than a sports/exotic is something they've
    obviously had to address.

Producing the mad amount of Continental GTs that they've made over the years which
    kicked the factory at Crewe into three shifts 24/7 obviously fulfilled their order sheets,
    the GT was/is a car that supplied the need even by the posers.

Continental GTs are so commonly seen in South Florida, one friend noted they're the
    "new Ford Taurus".

Kicking things up a notch however, Bentley models such as the Continental R, Brooklands
    and Mulsanne are incredible, must drive to appreciate performers.

BHW

12. rardoin

rardoin Karting

Feb 11, 2014
    Lafayette Louisiana
    Full Name:
    R Ardoin
    Guy Smith (I have a 2013 Guy Smith Le Mans Edition Bentley GT-C...smiles) and Butch Leitzinger will be an outstanding driver pair for the series. The debut of the Bentley GT3 at the Gulf 12 hours of Abu Dhabi went rather well with a fourth place finish for a car that had not been on the track until the practice sessions at the track prior to the race. Once the car is sorted out and the information shared across teams/series they will be contenders. The PWC has some of the best/purist road racing to be had at the present, IMO.

13. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    ^^This^^

14. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    It was that way when I lived in Fort Lauderdale. They lost their mystique to me.

15. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Great news to see Bentley joining the fun, so which rounds will the Reiter Lambos and Real Time Acura be back?

16. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    It would depend on what point does the learning from racing transfer to the Bentley range and what the costs involved would be.

17. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    +1

18. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I like the look of the Conti GT3, but it's got to be a full-on porker. Can't imagine how they're going to get it trimmed down. I'm sure BoP adjustments can make it a contender.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHU_finZt9E]Bentley Continental GT3 Testing | AutoMotoTV - YouTube[/ame]

CW

19. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I wish them well and I am glad they are rekindling their motorsports program.

20. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Some good Bentley footage at Monza from a couple weeks ago

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41R5jBzW78A]Blancpain Endurance Series - Monza - Event Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #21 GuyIncognito, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    answer: Sebring 12 hours, 2003 with the Speed 8 (ie rebodied R8)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #22 Gran Drewismo, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed