Jacques Villeneuve Returns to Indy 500 | FerrariChat

Jacques Villeneuve Returns to Indy 500

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 375+, Feb 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    I thought he was going to rally? I met him in 97 when I was a kid before he became champion.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I guess he and Jean Alesi don't talk much.

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I guess he fell on hard times....

I cannot see any other reason.

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

great news. he is fast no matter whether you like him or not. I hope he gets a fast race car!!

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Montoya and Villeneuve, two past race winners will be competing on the same racetrack both trying to restore some luster to their tarnished careers.

6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    perhaps. he has had decent results on road courses in NASCAR (Nationwide). has generally done well in good equipment everywhere (Indy, F1, sports cars, NASCAR).

but.....

hasn't driven an open wheel car on an oval in almost 20 years.

hasn't driven an open wheel car anywhere in almost 10 years.

has missed at least 2 generations of Indycars.

his learning curve will be very steep, and very unforgiving.

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I don't disagree chas. I do think he will show well however...he is a racer.

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yeah, for sure.

maybe someone can give Hornish a ride at Indy too. sucks to see him on the sidelines now.

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Good to hear he'll be competing in the 500 but I would have preferred news on him landing a ride with Audi, Toyota or Porsche at Lemans...;). One jewel to go.

10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Learning curve for the cars - definitely. Huge change from when he raced. I would think he adapts to the track fine, though.

11. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    I know Indycar has its share of haters on here but frankly I enjoy it. there are some great drivers and most of the races last year were very exciting. I attended four of the races last season and pretty much all went down to the wire. I enjoy F1 as well but let's face it, the last half of the season was not so exciting w/ Seb running away with every dang race.

I believe this is the last year they'll be racing at TMS and from what I understand, there are some contract obligations that roll off after this year so we could see some significant changes in the years to come...hearing COTA could get on the schedule next season. I know they have a long way to go but I sincerely hope they can turn this thing around and get viewership/attendance up. they're making progress but still a lot of work to do. now if only the cars weren't so ugly...

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    LOL!

You took the words right off my finger tips.

The difference is, at least Villeneuve has actually raced and won at Indy before.

BHW

13. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Anyone know what Captain Canuck is up to these days? Glad Villeneuve is having another go at it. The more interesting returnee is JPM. Its gonna be fun.

14. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    agreed...will be interesting to see how he plays with his teammates. three great drivers on that team but I'm hoping it's WP's year.

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #16 TheMayor, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Jacques Villeneuve has the reputation of having bad night vision.

One year the Peugeot team was narrowly beaten by Audi at Le Mans after leading for most of the race.
    Post-race analysis showed that, compared to his team mates, JV had been loosing a handful of seconds every lap in the dark. The matter got worst when it started raining during the night .

Villeneuve has never been asked to race in an endurance programme since.

17. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Have you seen the new F1 cars? :)

I hope that Villeneuve has a safe and good race. He is fun to watch WHEN racing.

18. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Yep. He had the quickest qualifying time and won with the same team mates at the race before LeMans, the Spa 1000. During Lemans, Peugeot were beset with long pit stops for radiator issues and this was the primary reason why Peugeot lost the lead to Audi in 2008. Michel Barge admitted Peugeot opted to go with full dry settings and it made the 908 a handful to drive in the wet. Once JV pitted during the night and Kristensen passed the Peugeot, Minassian took the wheel under the same conditions JV experienced and lost approximately 5 seconds per lap to TK thereafter.

In any case, the JV car finished second to Audi, ahead of two other factory Peugeots entered. JV had driven the Peugeot in only the two aforementioned races that year. Due to the Lemans loss, Barge was dropped by Peugeot and new boss Olivier Quesnel had a mandate to 'update' the team. The reason given for dropping JV (and Ricardo Zonta) was that both had prior commitments making them unavailable for most of the year to Peugeot.

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The Indy 500 is just a joke any more. It's a 500 mile IROC race. In 10 more years it will be remote control. 50 years ago it meant something, even 30. It was a source of innovation and imagination. It's only fitting that they are bringing back old names to try and stimulate interest in the series. Even Auto week is taking a shot at it, " Who's next in this field? Sam Hornish Jr.? Gil de Ferran? Tom Sneva? "

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    agree.

oddly, the last 500 that really meant something IMO was the 1995 race. winner? Jacques Villeneuve.

21. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Jacques is a racer. If his mind and interest is there he will do well. Last F1 year, not he best car ,other interests prevailed.

22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 to both. It is a 500 mile IROC race without few star racers and a field of also-rans. I attended the 1995 Indy 500 and it was an exciting race. I think that Sam Hornish would be a worthy addition.

23. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    JV's Indy 500 win in 1995 was pretty spectacular - didn't he actually drive 505 miles to win that year? I seem to recall that due to safety cars or pit penalties he went a lap down on two occasions, he had to unlap his car twice to get back on the lead lap.

[Edit] - just looked it up, and the Wikipedia entry for the 1995 Indy 500 says "he was penalized two laps for passing the pace car during a caution period in the early segment of the race. Through both strategy and luck, the young driver made up the 5-mile deficit for the win earning the race the "Indy 505" sobriquet."

24. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    F1 needed a villian in the mid-90's. Schumacher would have been the guy if Senna had lived, but after he died Schumi was almost unquestionably the best driver and every Ferrari fan cheered him on as the underdog. JV was in the best car and drove a consistent season, many disparage him (perhaps doubly so: he was no Michael nor Gilles).

Before going to F1 he was very exciting in CART, I remember a race in Cleveland where he could pull off passes no one else could. You could argue Montoya also had success, but JV was the last, and perhaps only driver to emerge from Indycar in our generation and have an impact in Formula 1.