FerrariChat.com Interview #2: 2014 Sebring 12 - Jeff Westphal GTD #63/64 | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com Interview #2: 2014 Sebring 12 - Jeff Westphal GTD #63/64

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by rob lay, Mar 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #1 rob lay, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Name: Jeff Westphal

Team: Scuderia Corsa

Scuderia Corsa | Racing With Ferrari

Car: Ferrari 458 Italia #63 or 64

Website: jeffwestphalracing.com: Jeff Westphal Racing Official Site

Bio: In the 2013 Grand-AM Rolex GT series, Jeff earned 4 podium finishes with Scuderia Corsa in just six races. Since 2006, he has earned 3 Championships, multiple track records, and has been successful in both Formula and Sports Cars. Jeff set the win record for the F2000 series with 9 of 12 wins, and claimed the overall title. Jeff will co-drive the #63 Ferrari 458 with Alessandro Balzan for the 2014 TUSCC season.

FC: Since we’re a Ferrari community important things first :), what experience have you had with Ferraris, any favorite models, thoughts about Ferraris?

JW: I have been coaching students, driving or racing the 458 since its debut more or less. Fortunately for me, my introduction to the Ferrari family is at a time when the cars they are producing are groundbreaking, and I luckily get to race one of them! Beyond the current times, an all time Favorite for me is the F40. The car is so raw, so purpose built with no fluff. I love that concept behind building a car, and even though it may be tricky to drive, that's what is endearing about the car for me.

Driving the red car is a dream come true. We are lucky just to race for a living, however to do so with such an iconic brand like the Scuderia, I am extremely pleased to be working with them for the upcoming season in the Tudor United Sportscar Championship.

FC: What are you currently thinking about the merger between Grand Am and ALMS?

JW: So far, so good. The speed difference is quite high between the PC and our GTD cars, so traffic is quite tricky with they drivers of the PC becoming impatient getting stuck behind our aerodynamically slippery GTD cars during the race.

FC: With so many drivers on a 24 team, how much do you have to compromise your personal driving style and comfort?

JW: It's never just about you in endurance racing even with two drivers, so with four we really have to form a unit to find the best solution for the seat belts, seating position, driver changes, radio terminology and lastly setup of the car.

FC: For the 24 what setup items do you compromise over a shorter race?

JW: For a 24 hour race, we typically set the car up so it's easy to drive. It's more important to have a car that is comfortable for 22 hours than edgy, either way what happens in the first 22 is just preparation for the sprint in the last 2 hours. And the team with the car in the best shape at that point will have the best chance to go for victory.

FC: As a GT driver would you like these supercars to be unleashed to 700-800 HP or better racing as is?

JW: For me I love horsepower, so a part of me says yes I would love to see the cars unleashed to their potential. However not all of our competitors would be capable of matching our power levels easily, or inexpensively. So I think the restriction helps keep some of the cost down. Ferrari makes some of the best cars in the world, and so we typically have the most restriction compared to our competition.

FC: Favorite driver of all time?

JW: Ayrton Senna for his tenacity as a competitor both with engineering, safety and behind the wheel of the car.

FC: Favorite driver no one has heard of?

JW: I have so many drivers that have impacted me greatly along the way, I don't know if I have one "favorite".
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login