Pirelli World Challenge | FerrariChat

Pirelli World Challenge

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by ktr6, Mar 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Was just reading about the World Challenge lineup for 2014 and it certainly looks like its going to be an exciting season. Possibly even better than Tudor when it comes down to the cars being raced:

Audi, Porsche, McClaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Cadillac, SRT, Nissan GTR, Corvette, Aston Martin and more.....how cool!!

A few Tudor teams may even make the switch including Level 5:

http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/sport...aws-from-tusc/

Looking forward to it, media coverage seems to be improving as well.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    PWC is going to be awesome this year, true GT3 spec cars in sprint races....with standing starts!

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #3 Wade, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  5. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Here is what was written, I had to cut and paste from another thread:

Despite having come out on top in last month’s Rolex 24 at Daytona, Level 5 Motorsports has withdrawn from the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship with immediate effect.

The four-time American Le Mans Series class champions, which fielded a pair of Ferrari 458 Italia GT3 cars in the new-for-2014 GTD category, scored its first class victory at Daytona with drivers Bill Sweedler, Townsend Bell, Jeff Segal, Alessandro Pier Guidi and team owner Scott Tucker.

While having initially planned to continue through the 11-round TUDOR Championship with at least one Ferrari for Sweedler and Bell, team manager David Stone made the decision to pull the plug on the program Monday.

“The decision was 100 percent my responsibility,” Stone said. “Scott Tucker has placed all operational responsibilities and decisions squarely on my shoulders. Based on various reasons, it’s my opinion that participation in the TUDOR Championship for 2014 is not in the best interest of Level 5.

“I want to be really clear that I’m not trying to be negative or disrespectful of the TUDOR Championship. I have no ill will or negativity against them. They need to do what they feel is right for them, just as I must do the same for Level 5.”

Stone said there were a number of factors that went into his decision, including IMSA’s ruling at the Rolex 24 that initially penalized the race-leading No. 555 Ferrari for avoidable contact.

The No. 45 Flying Lizard Motorsports Audi R8 LMS crew celebrated as winners in victory lane, with IMSA reversing the penalty and awarding Level 5 the win nearly four hours after the checkered flag.

“It was my opinion we should not have been [in the TUDOR Championship] in 2014 to begin with because of it being a development year for the series,” Stone said. “As was apparent, the time fame it was taking for them to provide rules, driver rankings, etc led me to believe they’ve got their hands full and I do not envy the position they were and are still in.

“The series needs time to sort itself out and I don’t want to be one of the participants that has to suffer through that the first year. I feel that the series has focused more on quantity than quality. The reality is you can only properly support so many teams at any given track at one time.”

Stone also attributed the series’ permitted paddock space, which has been reduced for 2014 due to the capacity grid sizes, as just one factor into their decision to withdraw.

Level 5 had interest from three customers to run in Prototype Challenge this year, but Stone said IMSA’s initial class capacity regulations released in October, along with a revision in the schedule, resulted in those prospective clients to pull out.

“I believe until racers have a voice to create a series that they want to race in, it is unlikely to change in any significant and meaningful way,” Stone said. “I feel like every team that has a full-season entry should have an elected representative from their team and there should be regular meetings with a certain list of topics to be debated, decided and voted on.

“That way, you are creating a series that’s consistent with what racers want as opposed to a sanctioning body dictating the environment. After all, we are the customers. No pun intended, but in order to arrive to that position takes stones. As long as teams cave in to the way any sanctioning body dictates, there is no rational reason to expect meaningful changes.”

While Stone said that Level 5 will unlikely return to the TUDOR Championship in any class this year, they are actively exploring customer programs for the Pirelli World Challenge, potentially with the same Ferraris that were raced at Daytona. The team will also continue to manage and support cars in Ferrari Challenge.

Additionally, Stone said they have also been approached by a few OEMs for a manufacturer-based prototype effort that would likely start off as an engine development program. He declined to disclose a possible time frame for such a project but said it could involve participation in the FIA World Endurance Championship, TUDOR Championship or European Le Mans Series.

“Right now, it’s a reorganization and reshuffle of Level 5 to do what is sensible for the team,” he said. “If the right opportunity presents itself to start another race-winning operation, then we would consider doing that. Our options are wide open.”

As for the future of Sweedler and Bell, who currently lead the GTD drivers’ championship, it’s understood the duo will continue in the class with a to-be-announced program.

6. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Yeah its going to be a fun series to watch! Hopefully get to some of them as well. With all the high strung exotics, can Camaro pull off another win??

I like where Stone is at with his reasoning, although it will be kind of refreshing to see other teams up for the podium now, as well as L5 going up against stiffer and a new breed of competition.

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    to be honest I think a lot of GTD teams feel that way but their commercial partners (i.e. gentlemen drivers ;)) won't go for it.

8. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
    The Camaro will race the Mustang, 370Z, Cayman, and Aston in GTS.
    Most of the exotics will run the GT class with the Cadillac.

Should be a great year for PWC!

Here is a link to the GT, GTS and TC Vehicle Technical Specs.
    VTS Info | Pirelli World Challenge

Jeff

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    someone explain to me why the Camaro is GTS but the Acura TL is GT :confused:

maybe Chevy/GM asked for that so they don't have 3 products competing in GT? (Caddy, Vette, Camaro)

10. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
    Acura must have asked to have the TLX homologated for GT.

“The 2015 Acura TLX is a true luxury sport sedan, so it is fitting that the car be raced against several of its natural competitors, and even some up-market brands, in the Pirelli World Challenge,” said Art St. Cyr, President of Honda Performance Development and Vice President-Product Planning and Logistics, American Honda

Pirelli World Challenge - Acura TLX GT for Pirelli World Challenge unveiled at Detroit auto show

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    weird...I wonder if they were expecting Volvo to return. that's the only real competitor they have (had) in GT.

12. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Can someone explain what would make an owner, team, driver, etc race in PWC versus TUSC?

13. ktr6

ktr6 Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I am just guessing here:

1) Money-I would surmise that Pirelli while still expensive is cheaper than Tudor
    2) Sprints vs Enduros - Pirelli weekends consist of only sprint races while Tudor is mostly enduros. PWC has no pit stops or driver changes, two 50 minute sprint races in a weekend.
    3) Classing - No prototypes in PWC and there are more options for amateur drivers.

14. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Big fan of PWC here. This season will be good, a lot of strong teams and drivers. You're all invited to Utah for their final race of the year in September :)

15. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm thinking about making the trek down. Been a few years since I've been to MMP.

16. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #16 4re Nut, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    First race today @ 3:25 Eastern...

Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg | Pirelli World Challenge

What a great array of cars across the top 20...

http://www.world-challenge.com/images/events/PRV-1--Q-Session-GRID.pdf

...emphasis added to FChatter. :D

Forza Ferrari (& Mike)!

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I really hope PWC has the bandwidth to handle all the traffic they're going to get this afternoon :eek:

18. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #18 4re Nut, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Its my g/f's sisters fault. When she goes to races it storms!

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    there seems to be some confusion whether this race has been delayed, rescheduled, or cancelled. :confused:

21. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Rain? Isn't Enge's car awd? :)

22. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    official, race 1 cancelled :(

race 2 tomorrow @ 11:25

23. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Race 1 cancelled :(

24. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    interesting that Stadium Trucks and US F2000 seem to have taken priority over WC today :(