FerrariChat.com Interview #3: 2014 Sebring 12 - Alessandro Balzan GTD #63 | FerrariChat

FerrariChat.com Interview #3: 2014 Sebring 12 - Alessandro Balzan GTD #63

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by rob lay, Mar 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #1 rob lay, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Name: Alessandro Balzan

Team: Scuderia Corsa

Scuderia Corsa | Racing With Ferrari

Car: Ferrari 458 Italia #63

Bio: Alessandro won the 2013 Grand-AM Rolex series GT Championship in his first year of US motorsports racing. His outgoing personality and talent have also made him a fan favorite. Balzan’s long list of racing accomplishments include: 2012 Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli World Champion, 2011-2009 Porsche Carrera Cup Italy Champion, 2001 Renault Clio Cup Junior European Champion, 1996 100 ICA European Champion. Alessandro drives the #63 Scuderia Corsa Ferrari 458 Italia for the 2014 TUSC season.

FC: Since we’re a Ferrari community important things first :), what experience have you had with Ferraris, any favorite models, thoughts about Ferraris?

AB: Before I started racing with the 458 Italia I was and I am still a Ferrari instructor for the Pilota Ferrari driving school in Italy at the Fiorano racetrack. So Ferrari has always been in my blood. My first Racing Ferrari was the fantastic 430 GT2 which I raced in the Italian GT championship.

FC: What are you currently thinking about the merger between Grand Am and ALMS?

AB: It s going to be the greatest championship series ever. A lot of cars, a lot of teams and drivers. But the quality level is really high. So to be part of it I feel lucky to have the #63 Scuderia Corsa Ferrari.

FC: With so many drivers on a 24 team, how much do you have to compromise your personal driving style and comfort?

AB: Now in the Tudor United Sportscar Championship series there are 4 classes, with many gentleman drivers at different speeds. I had an unfortunate experience with one of those at Daytona but it is part of racing. But I think we can improve the level of safety of some drivers. 67 cars was a lot on the Daytona racetrack. Every lap you have to overtake or be overtaken by different cars.

FC: For the 24 what setup items do you compromise over a shorter race?

AB: For the 24 you search a "comfortable" setup. I mean easy to drive around with no mistakes but at same time with the option for some little changes in the car’s performance for the last 2 hours.

FC: As a GT driver would you like these supercars to be unleashed to 700-800 HP or better racing as is?

AB: I think the GT Daytona class is really balanced now from performance and cost for the team. And the car is really fun to drive!

FC: Favorite driver of all time?

AB: Ayrton Senna

FC: Favorite driver no one has heard of?

AB: Rene Rast
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Thanks again Rob!

interesting that he chose Rene Rast. that guy is quick and starting to make a name for himself :)