NASCRAP yellow flags @ Sebring SPOILER!! | FerrariChat

NASCRAP yellow flags @ Sebring SPOILER!!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by David Lind, Mar 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    OK, so the extended yellow flag for the burning Viper was legit. Every other yellow I have seen (and I haven't seen them all) has been absurdly long:

!) The incident which necessitated a yellow before the Viper fire;
    2) The Aston Martin which lost a wheel. This yellow should have been 6 or 7 minutes and not 25 or 30;
    3) The Ferrari 458 which stopped dead stick way off of the racing line. This should have been a 1 or 2 lap yellow. As of now, it drones on and on.

The most revealing evidence that NASCRAP is throwing BS yellows? Last year there were 4 in the entire 12 hours. This year, with 2 1/2 hours to go, there have been 10. I realize that each race is different, but if you combine this with the dubious yellows at the 24, then it does not bode well.

On the other hand, this united series has superb diversity and they have gotten the competitive balance of the 2 prototype classes just about perfect for this track.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Competiton yellow with an hour to go.

BS.

:(

3. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Way too many full course yellows.

4. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    5.5+ hours under yellow in a dry race is sad.

5. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Contrived and pathetic is what it is. "Sad" would be an improvement.

6. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    was it really that much? F'ing ridiculous...besides not being on TV

7. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    When I read the teams complaining about "too many yellows", then I would agree. Until then, I wasn't there, did not see the track surface, so no problem with the yellows.

Before you blame NASCAR, who is really doing the officiating? NASCAR? IMSA?

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The same utter nonsense seen at NASCAR road course races at Watkins Glen and Sears Point, 20 minute full course cautions because a car spun harmlessly off the track.

They're pointing out that the top eight cars finished on the lead lap as an indication as to
    how competitive it is. However, with all these cautions, how many "Lucky Dogs" were
    administered to achieve this unbelievably unique feat?

Have no doubt, NASCAR is calling the shots. The NASCAR boys are in a locked room
    high above in the race control section of the main tower making these absurd extended caution decisions.

IMSA is there to write and enforce the competition rules. NASCAR is there to dictate
    how the rules are administered.

I'm almost glad I didn't go.

BHW

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I agree Barton, NASCAR has to be calling the shots. this is getting ridiculous. yellows, red flags, competition yellows late in the race, horrible calls (penalties for the wrong car?!? are you ****ing kidding me?!?)

NASCAR is about to discover that sports car fans aren't NASCAR fans, you can't treat them like they're morons. there WILL be a fan revolt. NASCAR/IMSA needs to get their act together, stat.

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    At one point when I was trying to watch the streaming version online, late afternoon,
    the commentators had said there was already three hours of caution prompting me to
    think that perhaps there would be a Green Park revolt and the "Animals" would storm race
    control with pitchforks and burning torches.

If they get enough negative feedback from fans who were in attendance or trying to
    watch online, they will have to react and quickly.

BHW

11. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Random rants about the (new) IMSA and TUSC

They screwed up before they began with the rules. If they had taken the GT classes and just applied the world standard rules - GT3 and GTLM - this would have been an incredible series. Would have had much stronger manufacturer involvement, stronger fan base, and achieved more of what they were hoping with the merger.

The "GTD" class is foolish. Adds cost, keeps manufacturers away (eg. can you believe that McLaren is racing, but in World Challenge?). PWC is going to have the best GT field.

Rules making for performance is also sort of odd. The Continental Series has remained underground this year, but they are letting Camaros run 6.4l but forcing Porsches to run 3.6. Clearly, no favoritism there.

They have strangled the Prototype class to favor the DP's. You can add enough wait and disable the LMP2 spec cars enough so DP's are faster. Remember, DP's were born out of the birth of Grand-Am. They are serious cars, but the LMP2's are more about technology and performance vs. brute force.

Then to the competition rules...

I will defend the yellows they tossed at Sebring. The parked Whelen DP and the 458 were out of the way, but they needed to be retrieved and the DP was in an impact zone. Having said that, it appeared that the on-track response was slower than I would have expected, they could have been hooked up and towed to a safe spot quickly. Race control did a good thing by letting the drivers try everything to get the cars going again.

However, the "new" yellow rules, like Lemans last year, force incredibly long safety car periods. Half-speed, each lap is 4 minutes.....and then they want to segregate the pits for the classes, so you need at least 3-4-5 laps to cycle the pit opening for each class.

The real worry is the officiating....Daytona and Sebring both. Shows that the rulemaking and race-running are likely less about officiating fairly and more about engineering a specific outcome.

To that point, it was grossly unfair to let the Porsche GTLM car hold the podium and go unpenalized. Making a bad call in a 30min sprint race is one thing, with Sebring they had plenty of time to adjust things.

UGGHHH.

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    great post.

UGGHHH is right :(

13. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    A Porsche beached itself on a curb, which caused the 1st yellow. That was at least 20 minutes old (!!!!!!!!), and counting, when the Viper ignited. Why a 20 minute yellow for a car that could have been pushed off? (Yes, I am aware of the new rule about marshals.) Don't know. BTW: what's with waiting for pits to open? Just leave the frigging pits open all the time, throw a local yellow, and be done with it. At worst this should have been (prior to the fire) a 2 lap full course yellow.
    PS: don't even get me started on that horse ***t yellow at the very end of the Daytona 24 ...
    The pity is that with Indycar being a glorified Formula Ford series and F1 being hideous and asthmatic, I really think TUSC is the best series going.

14. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Speaking of NASCAR, err NASCRAP yellow flags...with 2 1/2 laps to go at Bristol tonight this happened...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nPZPqbT-Iw]Robin Pemberton explains caution that ended Bristol - YouTube[/ame]

...fortunately it didn't impact the winner but very well could of had rain not prevented a green-white-checker finish.

:rolleyes:

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    My media colleagues are starting to weigh in.

One says, "It was a cluster-F in three different languages"

That about says it all.

BHW

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    rightfully so. that race was a shambles in many ways :(

I imagine a few journos are going to have their credentials "reviewed" before Long Beach :rolleyes:

17. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Also speaking of yellows flags, seemed the ones at Australia were a bit long. Is NASCAR also to blame? Easy to make comments from the peanut gallery if one was not actually there, at the spot of the yellow.

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    lol. everything in racing is NASCAR's fault :)

although I wouldn't call most of the people on this thread the "peanut gallery", I think the criticism is largely valid. and it mirrors comments I've seen/heard from competitors (drivers and teams) who aren't amused either.

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I agree with chas. many of us have been involved in the sport or have close friends in the sport...we have some basis for our complaints.

also...nascar ruined us motorcycle road racing too. AMA...look into it.

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    NASCAR's creep has spread into most all other forms of racing, even F-1. They'll
    do anything to create what they call "manufactured drama" when all they really need
    to do is leave the competition on the track alone and let things play out naturally.

Penalizing the AJR Porsche (ALMS team) instead of the factory Porsche for "avoidable
    contact" thus allowing the Magnus Racing team (GrandAM team) through to victory in the
    GTD class is inexcusable and a gaffe of such epic proportions that it boggles any sane
    mind.

Creating a "competition yellow" within sight of the finish, to create, once again, "manufactured
    drama" when the top eight cars were all on the same lap (created by numerous "lucky dog"
    shenanigans) are all right from the NASCAR play book.

When the pace car leads more laps than the winning car, we all know something is
    wrong. When a local yellow may be deployed to get a car out of the grass and back onto
    the track in order to keep the action going rather than a 20 minute full course caution, use it.

What we've known since the inception of this "merger" is that its not a "merger" at all, rather
    a hostile take over as NASCAR/ISC themselves have made it clear that they want to control a
    monopoly over all of racing and they will stop at nothing in order to attain this goal.

What real sports car fans should be doing is speaking in unison and bringing their demand
    to the leadership of the USC is to keep their mitts off of our sport and leave the nonsense and
    "manufactured drama" for the roundy-round boys.

BHW

21. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Pro racing is entertainment first, sport second, with an objective to maintain large viewership for the entire duration of a race in order to get sponsors what they pay for. NASCAR is obviously better at it than the road racing organizations.

If you REALLY liked racing by racers who do it purely for the sport, you'd go watch club races. Plenty of them around the country, very rare full-course cautions. No traffic or even entry fees to speak of at most events, full run of the paddock to talk to racers, in general a great experience.

But you won't do that, so enjoy NASCAR-ized road racing, as it is clearly the peoples' choice.

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    If people are left with a choice, they'll opt to follow GrandAM's made up "Man on the Street"
    and stay away by the droves if their attendance figures were any indication.

It is a sad state of affairs.

BHW

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you are correct, I love amateur racing, SCCA, NASA, vintage, etc. some of the best racing I've ever seen. I'm always surprised when a "racing fan" has only been to a NASCAR, Indy or F1 race :rolleyes:

that said there's a big difference between watching amateurs in slow(er), less well prepared cars and professionals in the latest technology, perfectly prepared and presented. so I don't think it's a direct substitute for professional racing any more than a huff and puff softball league is a direct substitute for a MLB game.

24. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Looks like they're listening a little at least.

Changes coming to IMSA Race Control include the following:

- Enforcement of an IMSA rule requiring the display of the car’s number on its in-car cameras.
    - Upgraded video review equipment to high definition (HD).
    - A new system for cross-checking cars and drivers involved in on-track incidents.
    - Addition of a third driver advisor to work alongside the IMSA Race Director and two driver advisors to assist with evaluating responsibility in incidents and other on-track situations.
    IMSA also is adjusting its full-course caution procedures to maximize green-flag running time. Changes to the procedures, which will be confirmed by IMSA Rule Book bulletins, are as follows:

- At events where there is only one prototype class in a race, the pits will be opened for that class when the field is packed up and while GT cars are still performing the Pass-Around procedure. This change will expedite the full-course caution process by a full lap.
    - The “Lap-Down Wave-By” procedure – which provides a strategic opportunity for cars a lap or more behind to gain a lap back by staying on course while leaders make pit stops – will be more limited in its application. There will be no Lap-Down Wave-By in races less than two hours and 30 minutes in length. For races between two-and-a-half hours through six hours, the Lap-Down Wave-By will be used only once in any 90-minute period after 60 minutes from the start of a race. No Lap-Down Wave-By will be used in the last 30 minutes of a race.
    - Efforts also will be made to use “Debris Yellows” where a situation is likely to involve the simple removal of debris or the flat-tow of a stopped car to a safe location. A Debris Yellow includes the Pass-Around procedure, but the pits remain closed until the race is restarted.

- See more at: IMSA | TUDOR United SportsCar Championship | IMSA Introduces Modifications To Competition Procedures

25. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Re the 'Lap-Down Wave-By'....the smoke from the cooking brats at Road America alone will make me unable to make sense of this. Who knows what I'll think if I catch wind of an open beer.

I like(d) racing because there were few rules. Can we get an IMSA Mike Pereira? :)