Ammo for those who think IMSA officials are a joke | FerrariChat

Ammo for those who think IMSA officials are a joke

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Nuvolari, Mar 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
  2. bretm

bretm F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2001
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Bret
    Wow. That is stupendously absurd.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This has received so much attention I think they can only get better. Between volunteer corner workers and such large long race mistakes will happen. At least they have more video to review now. I'm glad most of the time I raced there WASN'T video, there was less for them to take action on and because of this everyone knew you could take more action. ;) In many ways the Club Racing method of everything handled post race is better so the penalties are more accurate.

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Wow, you gotta know someone's credentials will be revoked.

Good on em.

BHW

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    If my math is correct, this is the 30th season I've been watching racing.

I have never seen racing fans as discouraged, disappointed, upset and angry as they are right now at IMSA...and I watched the IRL/CART split up close! :eek:

they have to change, this is either gross incompetence or NASCAR is intentionally ruining sports car racing to protect "the big show" (and its rapidly declining ratings).

I really, really hope this works out.

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Don't get me wrong I have a huge amount of respect for the volunteers to marshal and who make racing happen. The IMSA officials are professionals governing a professional series. Moreover they act like bullies with a higher than thou take it or leave it attitude. Believe it or not the only reason the Daytona decision that determined the winner in GTD was overturned was because of the massive outcry of negative press in social media. After the race the Ferrari guys were told 'our decision is non-appealable' and it was not until the backlash started that the decision was reversed. Had nothing to do with the Level5 guys barking at IMSA

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    well if IMSA hasn't gotten the message loud & clear after Sebring.....

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  9. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    The Alex Job situation got a lot of attention.

Did anyone notice what happened to Rum Bum's #13 Porsche? They got flagged for a technical pit violation....had to do a stop-plus-80. An IMSA official contended that the gas cap/filler system was not grounded (it was, just loose).

IMSA revokes the penalty as they later realize it was not a violation - after pretty much ruining the #13 car's race.

Rum Bum is one of the best teams in IMSA (Conti) and had a strong run going.

This will be a business school case study. NASCAR has grasped defeat from the jaws of victory. Everything the merger of ALMS and Grand-Am was supposed to promise has been erased into a PT Barnum-esque joke.

The real winner in this is Pirelli World Challenge....

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    agreed.

I was thinking today this is like the CART/IRL split in reverse...at least with the split, you had the good guys and the bad guys. now it appears you just have the incompetent guys :(

again, looking forward to PWC. might wander over to St Pete next Sunday...

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    What really multiplies the problem for them is all the faux competition yellows that even if a team has worked hard for hours for sizable gap an 80 second penalty kills them because 8 teams on lead lap after more than half the race!

12. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    After this debacle, we no longer think they're a joke. We know.

CW

13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I was at the race - and it was amazing how many yellows were thrown.. whole course yellows... I've never seen a race that cautious.

and with 60 cars on track - they all bunch back up - set off and crash again.. crazy!

while I'm glad they have it all together again ... the DP cars look horrible ..... ALMS was almost the perfect series ... when Audi and Peugot were running ... lets hope it gets better.

14. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Pitiful T V coverage- bad for sponsors, pitiful officiating, and over 5 hours of full course yellows.

15. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ALMS, particularly during the P2 manufacturer battle from 06-09 or whenever that was, was in my opinion the best racing series on the planet. I think WEC replaced it the last few years. but what we have now with TUSC leaves a lot to be desired.

16. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Did IMSA really penalize the no.911 GTLM car as the R&T article states? At this rate the series should be sponsored by WTF? Inc. Instead of Tudor Watches. LOL.

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The Autoweek (are they really still in business?) article answers the obvious
    question as to if there is a former driver in the booth reviewing incidents a-la
    F-1.

At Sebring it was Elliot Forbes Robinson.

Perhaps, and maybe I'm mistaken, they should go with a retired driver who has
    driven in this century?

In F-1 names like Kristensen, McNish, Pirro, Warrick, etc. serve as guess marshals.
    Something for them to think about anyway.

BHW

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    EFR was still racing in the mid 2000's, I'd trust his experience as much as anyone more recent.

and yeah...how does Autoweek survive?

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

some of us knew all along.

remember I made these predictions. I also predicted that if would not be long before Road A is closed and redeveloped into commercial or residential:(

20. ferraripete

this!

and by the way...this is not to be confused w/ imsa. bishop and his vision will be quickly wiped out by nascar. the days of jb were the very best but never to return.

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I doubt that, NASCAR paid mightily for the track and they have better lawyers than most people or groups :)

and I hope it doesn't happen, Road Atlanta is my favorite track.

22. ferraripete

I hope you are right but fear I am. I think it could happen in the next 5 years.

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the only thing that I think would make it happen would be a new source of jobs in that area (factory, back office, etc) that needed lots of land for employee housing. RA is far enough from the urban core that I think it's safe from suburban sprawl.

24. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    They penalized #911 but for a different incident. Marshall Pruett's article makes it appear that Porsche snuck one by the officials by delivering the #911 when the #912 was the offender but he's mixing 2 different incidents.

25. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Thanks for the clarification Stig!