NASCRAP TMS | FerrariChat

NASCRAP TMS

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by rob lay, Apr 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Explain why with a yellow 1 lap to go resulting in yellow period and then green-white-checker 2 lap finish that EVERYONE had to get tires? Is that required? Why couldn't one of the teams stayed out to move up, how hard is it to finish 2 green laps on used tires? Must be required because the leader pitted, got 2 tires, and was in 3rd for green flag. Everyone in the Top 10 got tires.

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    it's for "the show". :rolleyes:

of course, on a rain delayed race on Monday afternoon, not sure who was watching "the show"....

that was a BS call. they should have let Logano take the white flag and then throw the yellow (which would have ended the race).

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I tried to watch the race earlier and couldn't get into it, but turned back to watch the last 20 laps. I actually thought about going out there today, 10 minute drive and beautiful weather. no one in the stands!

4. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    probably could have gotten in for $10 :)

I generally pay moderate attention to NASCAR until the last 25-50 laps. a few weeks ago I tried to watch a whole race flag to flag and couldn't do it :eek:

shame, it used to be a great sport.

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #5 Schatten, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Did they even race yesterday? The rain delay pushed them to play a full episode Duck Dynasty on the big screen. Pic from friend who attended.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    You need more beer, a twelve pack at the least.
    Maybe in the internet age, my attention span just doesn't last that long.

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    crappy attention span plus crappy racing = don't bother.

and btw they didn't start the race yesterday, they delayed it to this morning.

8. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    To answer your question, no, it is not required for everyone to pit and get tires.

The Texas track is abrasive so tire wear is very important and as the finished showed, four tires are better than two and two are better than none. At some other tracks it doesn't matter as much.

I believe the leader #22 got four tires but came out third because the #24 and #55 had a faster pit taking only two.

With a slight advantage of leading the restart the #24 was able to hold on to second place while the #55 got passed by others with four tires. Even in just two laps four tires have a much greater advantage over two.

Lets say the first fifteen cars come in for tires. Sixteenth place or so could stay out and hope they can improve that position as the cars that took tires behind them come flying by. Usually what happens in that case is they become rolling road blocks, spinning their tires on the restart holding everyone up and cars fan out around them similar to the #18 on the last turn today.

Sometimes two tires will prevail over four so the #24 made a good call and took the gamble and actually improved their position about five places.

The leader at the yellow could've stayed out and everyone behind him could've came in for tires and then he would've been a sitting duck. Or he could've stayed out with the next ten or so cars coming in for tires but then six or seven after them could've stayed out giving the #22 a buffer between him and the cars that got tires which he could then hold off for two laps. That happens too. It all boils down to a judgement call by the crew chief and it can make them a hero or zero depending on what the other teams do.

With that said, the last yellow was a total BS call and they should've let him take the white to end the race. I'm happy the #22 won anyway otherwise he would've been robbed. If the #24 had won I wouldn't have been too upset because he did get robbed at California the same way.

Now that I think about it there seems to be a trend :eek:

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Thanks Str8shooter, just hard to believe used vs. 2 vs. 4 makes such a big difference on only two 30 second laps.

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    3500 pounds with 850+ horsepower pulling 3+ g's on abrasive tarmac uses tires fast :)

11. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    It really depends on the track and how long they've been running.

Tracks like Texas and Atlanta - have sever tire degration kicking in before even completing an at speed lap. The track design, corner forces, and age of the pavement contribute to cooking the tires very quickly. I've never watched Texas qualifying - but at Atlanta, under the old system with an out lap, and green, white, checkered, all the teams just do the out lap, take the green, and kill at the white - the tires are falling off pace after just an out lap and a quali lap - the final lap would be about 1/2 second slower if they chose to keep going.

12. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Well think about it this way, in most series I've road raced in, the tires have a golden lap followed by a really good lap in them in their 1st and second laps. Like a second or more at some tracks. I can easily see it making that much difference.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I guess Toyo street tires in SRX7 weren't as moody. ;) even when I raced Hoosier or Pirelli slicks seemed like the golden lap only had about a half second for a long course (1-2 minutes) and then maybe first cycle only had a second over future cycles. You could then run 5-6 more cycles within 2 seconds a lap. Considering they were on an oval, high banking, not braking, and under 30 second laps I just didn't conceive it being such an issue.

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    but your RX7 was what, 2400 pounds with you in it, and had 150 bhp (and zero torque)? :)

"stock" cars are ridiculously heavy and chew through tires.

15. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    3+g's lateral? I can't imagine that is true. Including the banking maybe, but no way in a flat corner. Do those things make any appreciable downforce?

I admit I don't know jack. I don't even know what the underside of one looks like.

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I've heard that number multiple times for tracks like Charlotte, Texas, etc; not sure if that's just lateral force or includes the banking force too.

I can't find specific downforce numbers but it's substantial, at least relative to other race cars, if not the actual weight of the vehicle.

edit: this link says up to 1750 pounds of downforce, for the previous generation car. http://m.livescience.com/4367-daytona-500-flying-leaving-ground.html

17. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
  18. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  19. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yup, I was working out of a hotel in Dallas, making my way to see family that day in FW. Traffic billboards everywhere: RACE CANCELLED!

20. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    In grand am (conti) the conti's (cough Hoosiers cough) were a LOT more than .5 on an average track. Similar in concept to stock cars the GS cars were very heavy, and had small contact patches.

Also remember that what the guy in 1st does dictates a lot of other strategy. 2 laps on a high bank track! I'll take tires please!

21. bbpathfinder

bbpathfinder Karting

Mar 29, 2011
    Scottsdale AZ
    Earlier in the race the commentator said the cars ran 3 Sec a lap slower on old tires...So, 2 laps at 190mph, 6 sec equals alot of real estate.

22. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Cars look WAAAAAY slower on TV than in person. Aero is huge with these cars. Even in a tight rule book, teams find very creative ways to increase downforce. Super super $$$ on materials and design to get things to flex just right and pivot the car to maximize downforce.

I believe the 3G number does include banking.

23. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    The 3 g number has to include banking. Way too much weight and way too little tire compared to weight otherwise.