TUSC P2 Dwindling | FerrariChat

TUSC P2 Dwindling

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Apr 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    super bummed about MMPR. they were my favorite ALMS team :(

to be fair though, P2 is dying in WEC as well.

3. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #3 GuyIncognito, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    btw at Long Beach, both in qualifying and the race the fastest P2 was only 0.3 seconds off the fastest DP. in my opinion that's pretty good BoP for two very dissimilar race cars. to put that in perspective, the same gaps in GTLM were about a tenth and a half.

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    In that case, perhaps there is something more to it than BoP.

Guessing the behind the scenes nonsense must be off the scale.

BHW

5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'm not sure what's going on behind the scenes in TUSC, in WEC P2 is still a pro-am series and I think they've run out of Ams wanting to write checks ;)

6. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    It's a darn shame that ALMS teams aren't comfortable with the new series. Irrespective of whether it's a BoP issue, a tire adjustment issue or just pure favoritism, prototype numbers are falling rapidly. If you look at the number of DP & ALMS cars that ran last year compared to what we have left, it's not good news. Dyson Racing, a sports-prototype bastion for decades, is out of prototypes, Gainsco-Stallings is gone, Muscle Milk is now gone ... How many protos are left now for each race? Maybe 8 or 10?
    I hope this changes, as I was very optimistic about the combined series. With Indycar being a spec series (albeit an upper echelon spec series) and with F1 being hideously ugly and flatulent, I thought TUSC might be of great interest. Hope they can turn it around, somehow.

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    What I don't understand is how or why they blended DP and P2 into a single prototype
    category and why the P2 teams agreed to this. Yes, the P2 cars are nimble and fast
    in the turns but nothing beats horsepower and they had to know that that the added
    downforce and better brakes on the DP cars would make them faster in the turns.

With both ALMS and GrandAM teams abandoning the series, there certainly must
    be things happening behind the scenes that they're not liking. Dyson was smart enough
    to stay away and watch what was happening and he obviously wasn't impressed.

Since we've seen that they will openly and shamelessly manipulate races to produce a
    melancholy finish, even though with the reliability of today's cars this manipulation is
    hardly necessary, they still can't help themselves since they've been doing it in NASCAR
    for decades, what will be left?

What we'll be stuck with will be a virtual monopoly of all of racing in the U.S. run by the
    ISC and NASCAR exactly as I've been warning for the better part of three decades now.
    It may be taking longer than they would have liked but once they get done running sports
    car racing into the ground and they wait for Indy Car to self-implode and they buy those
    assets for pennies on the dollar, it will be fete complete.

Won't it be great when every major track and every series in the U.S. will be under
    the thumb of the ISC and NASCAR? What could possibly go wrong?

BHW

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    they didn't agree to it...they were told this is what is going happen, take it or leave it; and it's about 50/50 on taking it vs. leaving it :)

of the 5 full time cars left, 2 are the Mazda diesels (woefully off pace but Mazda is marketing it well), and 2 are tied to Patron and Ed Brown, who is using the sport as a marketing tool to sell tequila (apparently with some success)...so really there's only one P2 team that is there on their own free will, OAK Racing, and there are rumors they might pull out soon too. I could see them skipping everything but 6 hours at the Glen and Petit.

btw I remember Dyson saying something last year to the effect that "the only way to succeed in the new series will be to run a DP, and I refuse to do that"...so I think everyone saw the handwriting on the wall.

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Too bad.

Logically, P2 should be a class to itself and not blended with DP cars for overall
    wins.

Oh well, P2 will eventually die out on its own. GTLM will likely follow and what we'll
    have left is GrandAM once again.

You'd think the manufactures would be screaming, and maybe they are behind
    the scenes. But, with the additional manufacturer interest moving over to PWC,
    perhaps they'll get the message?

BHW

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007

GTLM is dead in the water, with GT convergence on the horizon (largely based around GT3 specs). manufacturers love that, they'll still be able to have proper full factory teams with true pro drivers, but all the R&D will be paid for by the Ams :)

in my mind true prototype racing should be a manufacturer driven class...think ALMS P2 from 06-09 (roughly) or WEC P1 now, or even FIA GT back around 2000...when manufacturers back out and their place is taken by privateers, that's when that rule package should be thrown out.

11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Cost of running a prototype has to be HUGE. Even in the lower class. Cars in P1 were "space shuttle money" programs. P2 has to be some significant portion of that.

Hard to find sponsorships in this environment, too. Even the privateer teams can'd find funding as easily from wealthy "gentlemen drivers". And, with more races on the calendar, increase the budget accordingly.

Not really surprising. Disappointing, though.

CW

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    WEC P2 (and ALMS/TUSC) was "cost contained", so I think a full season ALMS P2 budget was around $5mm, which is a fraction of what Audi/Toyota/Porsche are spending, but still a big check to stroke for the gentleman driver crowd.

13. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    P2 and BOP may not actually be the reason for Muscle Milk / Pickett pulling out. Cytosport is for sale.

14. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's been in the works for a while though (before Daytona at least), so while I agree there's more than just BoP to the MMPR story, I'm not sure that's it.

the Picketts are racers, I have a feeling they'll be somewhere....

15. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    $5MM sounds possible, but it's still a big amount. "Cost contained" is a relative term, only.

CW

16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    truth.

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    hopefully IMSA sees the handwriting on the wall, otherwise in 2017 America will be an irrelevant stepchild to global sports car racing.

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    IMSA is now under the thumb of NASCAR/ISC.

There ain't no one there voicing any concern lest they're booted out.

The 900lb gorilla on the block just gets stronger.

BHW

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  21. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    I doubt it was that "affordable." Racing above the club level is hideously expensive if you are trying to win.

22. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the number I gave is reasonably accurate :)

to be clear, that $5mm was running cost to do the season (entry fees, consumables, travel, etc), not to buy the car and equipment. it was also for ALMS so it didn't include any 24 hour races.

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you missed my point.

ACO is setting the specs for LMP for 2017, FIA and ACO are setting the specs for GT convergence, believed to be adopted along the lines of GT3 specs for both sprint and endurance (ACO) series.

so if NASCAR/IMSA doesn't play along with the FIA and ACO, they'll be the only global sports car series without a standardized spec. they have already thumbed their nose at the ACO with their DP bias, and some of the P2 restrictions/regulations; and with their creating separate GTD spec instead of adopting FIA GT3 as-is.

if IMSA doesn't fall in line with the ACO/FIA specs, I don't see any manufacturer other than Ford and Chevy willing to play along, in any class....so while Ford vs Chevy might play along with the NASCAR narrative, it would kill US sports car racing. I also wouldn't see any privateer/gentlemen driver teams (OAK, Aston Martin, etc) wanting to do anything in the US either.

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Well, IMSA/NASCAR thumb their noses at the ACO/FIA and they do so at their own peril.

At the rate things are sliding currently, the landscape is going to be completely different
    in the U.S. by 2017.

Funny, how there used to be mention of the ACO including DP cars into the 24 Hours and
    how all that talk has vanished. I, for one, would like to see DP cars compete at Le Mans if
    for the only reason to have the P-1 and P-2 cars hand them their lunch.

However, the ACO risks tarnishing their brand by allowing DP to take part so they walk a
    fine line.

BHW

25. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    And no crash damage, and no serious testing, inventory of spares, and... So yeah you can run for that. Kind of. It's quite expensive either way, but I think you are fairly optimistic.

Heck Conti tire cars in GS are using a lot of shaker rig time now.