NASCAR is #1 in world popularity | FerrariChat

NASCAR is #1 in world popularity

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by GTS Bruce, Apr 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Close racing plus lots of action. A great show,colorful,great sounding cars. Why would anyone drive indycar given the choice or for that matter almost any other series. Twice as many races with last place paying more than a first place indycar win except for the Indy 500.
    GTS Bruce

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's actually going to be (is?) NASCAR's downfall.

too much content...supply/demand. there's 36 Cup races, and roughly 32 Nationwide and Truck races. each 2+ hours.

that's over 200 hours of racing! that's a lot of content to sell.

I think NASCAR is going to look radically different in the next 5 years from a content delivery/availability standpoint.

but yes at present, no clue why anyone would still want to be involved with IndyCar. I think you see that in the lack of participation in their feeder series (Lights, Pro Mazda, etc). interesting to note that the two most powerful teams in IndyCar also have a major presence in NASCAR :)

3. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    World????

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Okay, I'll bite...

What is the source reporting that NASCAR is #1 in world popularity?

Outside the U.S., NASCAR barely registers a pulse and as we see even here, spectator
    and TV ratings dwindling.

The 24/7 NASCAR PR machine continues despite the #1 rule of marketing, over exposure
    cheapens the product. Drivers are drawn to NASCAR for the t-shirt and trinket sales
    which by great lengths outweigh prize money for races and championships.

BHW

5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yes I was curious about that claim too :) source/link?

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    :D Made me chuckle too.
    I've lived in a fair amount of places and been pretty much anywhere. I know almost no one that actively watches NASCAR outside the states, at best a crashes highlight video on youtube a few times a year. I think I know 2 people who didn't ridicule driving about in a circle and they watch most races, most of them not even live.

Most watched sport in the States? Could buy that, closely followed by American Football. But not a chance it's the most watched sport in the bloody world. Zero chance.

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I doubt the NASCAR numbers even come close to the NFL.

This was specifically the reason that NASCAR went to "The Chase" as at the time
    of year when the NFL season starts, late August-early September, NASCAR's numbers
    dropped significantly so they started "The Chase" as sort of a playoff system but, naturally,
    they've screwed all that up and continue to make a mockery of it all.

There are countries outside the U.S. where NASCAR is on TV like the U.K. and Australia
    but I'd wager that in those countries, it's about akin to cycling on TV in the U.S.

BHW

8. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    You might be a redneck......

Boring. Overseas I don't see any coverage but plenty of F1 and rally.

9. tomd308

tomd308 Karting

Jun 10, 2006
    gainesville florida
    Full Name:
    thomas dukas
    I'm sure the statement was in a NASCAR press release that was eagerly gobbled up by the ignorant and self centered US media.

10. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

brian france and mike helton are on a fast track in destroying racing for us as we knew and loved it...be it on two or four wheels.

those two would do us all great favor if they were to just go away!!!

11. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I believe 'World' is just within the US.

No one is a Nascar fan here. Heck..they don't even show it.

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    sadly I agree Pete....Big Bill would clean house at One Daytona Blvd if he knew what was going on.

remember who originally funded IMSA ;)

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    You mean to tell us that the NASCAR media people would intentionally mislead us?

BHW

14. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Because then you'd driving a NASCAR.

15. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Don't you mean nASCAR?

16. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    #16 willrace, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Why?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    No it's not.

18. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Don't feed the trolls.

19. ar_es

ar_es Formula 3

Jun 6, 2013
    Rome
    Full Name:
    Ares

Quite +1, rally not so much

Sent from my F430 using Tapatalk.

20. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    100% correct.

21. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I'm def not a nascar fan but what I have always admired is the machine they have maintained even from the beginning. It is a marketing/sales mechanism that absolutely knows their customer-not unlike pro wrestling (also not a fan!). I grew up down south but it was a college town (gville Fla) and it was a mix of people. I always had a section of my friends who were devoted to Winston cup just like their parents were. The only thing bigger was NCAA football

I've been in tech sales forever and I wish my customers were this loyal-it really is a machine

22. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    According to what I have read in business journals, auto racing is #2 in paid spectators in the world, soccer is #1.

The most watched TV audience for auto racing worldwide is F1. NASCAR was a distant second, certainly not #1 in the world. And rally, sports car, Indy style, etc., were not close. NASCAR gets broadcast to virtually all of the USA military bases worldwide, which plump up their numbers. NASCAR is also broadcast in Central and South America, Europe and Japan. A friend of mine used to store retired NASCAR autos in his garage in England for his collector friends, he knew everything about the series.

Number one paid spectators in the USA was horse racing, #2 auto racing. Key word is "paid", and horse racing's lead is likely due to the ability to wager.

But these stats are from around 2000, much could have changed.

23. bowbells

bowbells Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Guernsey
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    NASCAR are the only people to wring out a 2 minute race to over three hours. Doesn't fool us over here, even the boat race is more fun!

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Hey, we're the same country that has taken a normal football game that used
    to take two hours to play and turned it into a four hour game.

Goodyear used to produce an annual Racing Attendance Report. This was published
    at the end of the racing season each year and included some interesting information
    that appeared in all the relevant racing magazines.

Best as I may tell, the last time Goodyear produced this report was 1998 with no
    explanation as to why they stopped doing it. Unless after they withdrew from CART
    and F-1, they no longer thought it was important.

It would be interesting if they did this report today as the real numbers would surface.
    Until then, all we get to hear is "Another record breaking crowd" year after year when
    we all know it is misleading.

The bits of the Talladega race I saw yesterday it looked as though the grandstand was
    packed.

BHW

25. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #25 BartonWorkman, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    An interesting site, and maybe someone brought it to light in the racing forums
    on F-Chat is Racingnomics.com. (formerly NASCARnomics.com).

The site goes deep into statistical analysis and in depth reporting on the numbers
    behind racing, NASCAR in particular.

I dropped by this site recently and noticed some interesting things besides the name
    change. How this guy says he is no longer "able to share any research regarding NASCAR’s
    Nielsen television ratings. All previous essays that analyze those data have been removed
    as well. Some other articles have been deleted, too."

Sounds like he didn't do this voluntarily, rather he was threatened or at the very least,
    strongly advised to remove his research regarding NASCAR TV numbers. Because, of course,
    NASCAR is always looking for a way to bolster their position in the sports entertainment
    business and the best way for them to do that is to tell potential advertisers about their
    glowing numbers, which we all know are trending downward lately.

In any case, just thought this site deserves a second look as the analysis is very interesting.

Racingnomics | Relevant insights on the business, economics, and statistics of all things racing

BHW