Nissan returns to Le Mans in 2015 | FerrariChat

Nissan returns to Le Mans in 2015

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by william, May 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    good news! P1 is going to be great for a while.

shame ALMS/GrandAm/TUSC went they way they did, would love to see those cars at Daytona/Sebring/Road Atlanta.

3. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    We'll at least the US gets a WEC around at COTA.

4. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Nissan, Toyota, Audi, Porsche + privateers in the top class, with the freedom to engineer different solutions for powerplants and aero, racing around Le Mans, Silverstone, Interlagos, COTA, Spa + others...

Not to mention incredibly competitive and exciting LMP2 and GT racing....

Formula what?

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Exactly.

We knew Nissan was joining the WEC in 2015 so this must be the announcement to
    get the media ready for a presentation at Le Mans.

Anywhere Toyota goes, Nissan and Mazda usually follow.

BHW

6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Great news! I'm looking forward to see it.

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Not sure I want to see it judging by the other cars. Might hurt my eyes. The WEC Porsche has to be the ugliest racing car I have ever seen!!!

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    so I take it you haven't seen any of the 2014 F1 cars?

:confused:

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    With F-1 teetering on the edge of obscurity, Indy Car constantly struggling to find traction,
    NASCAR a never ending bore fest and the U.S. version of sports car racing a complete joke,
    the WEC is offering what racing purists would consider the best alternative.

While some question the hybrid and other technical aspects, the truth of the matter is if
    new power solutions aren't coming from racing, where will they come from? It reminds us
    of the Group C days where the fuel mileage of the cars had to be closely monitored as the
    FIA made them comply with a set amount of fuel per race.

Many scoffed about "Racing on your fuel meters" at the time. While technically true perhaps, it
    also gave us some epic racing that saw an unprecedented factory involvement and stellar
    entry lists. At the same time, the manufacturers began to get with the electronics program and
    developed on board computers which monitored the fuel flow and other aspects which today
    we think as completely normal in today's road going cars.

So, with the technical advancements going on currently in the WEC, hybrid power, four wheel
    drive, etc. we know that what they're learning now will filter down to the average family road
    car in the form of improved mileage, reliability and aerodynamic efficiency.

Some may see the current cars as ugly (perhaps) but we have to know that they look this
    way for a reason as constant wind tunnel tests are showing the manufactures this is the
    way to go and as we see, they're all constantly tweaking their aerodynamics on a race to
    race basis.

Frankly, I think they're all magnificent looking machines, rolling pieces of aerodynamic art,
    and then watching the races at Silverstone and Spa so far, the images from the sky and on
    board cameras showing the Toyotas, Porsches and Audis slicing through GT traffic, changing
    direction as if on rails, these cars are simply stunning to witness.

What we're going to see at Le Mans this year is going to nothing short of legendary and
    when Nissan comes to the deal next year, it will only get better.

BHW

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I agree with you on the technical aspects and ideas, but there are two ways to make cars aerodynamic, the ugly way and the pleasing to the eye way. WEC and F1 have both chosen the extreme ugly way!! As you well know there are many ways to make a car aerodynamic. Make the rules so that teams and manufactures can do cars that look nice.

Group C cars were very pretty looking

In the long run I think it will hurt top line racing if they keep it up. Saying that maybe this generation likes very ugly. Look at all the ugly Toyota's you see on the street!!

11. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    +1

GT1 was so much better. Even GTE and GT3 are better.