The Annual Ferrari at Le Mans Rumor | FerrariChat

The Annual Ferrari at Le Mans Rumor

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by merstheman, Jun 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
  2. Dino Scuderia

Dino Scuderia Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    Who knows, I'll believe it when I see it.

3. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I do hope they will return

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    This year's Ferrari Le Mans rumor seems to be gaining more traction than years past where the
    event is impressive but just a passing fancy (to them) when it comes to joining the pointy end of the field.

If this comes to fruition, interest in Le Mans and the WEC will simply explode. Would Ferrari's
    entry draw in other top exotic/luxury manufactures the same way Toyota's entry has drawn in
    Nissan?

BHW

5. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I would love to see Ferrari with a full works entry in LMP1, but boy, do they have their work cut out for them of they do. Being succesful at Le Mans is nothing to sneeze at.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think that if Porsche or Toyota wins this year we could finally see Ferrari back in 2015. If I where in charge of Ferrari I too wouldn't want to lose to a diesel. Toyota/Peugeot it hurts less if they lose against a diesel but not for Ferrari.

I really hope Toyota or Porsche finally wins this year. On merit.

7. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    That Luca article is very very interesting. Seems possible for sure... I don't want to get my hopes up but it's not that easy given this might actually happen...

8. Mozella

Mozella Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2013
    Piemonte, Italia
    I think Ferrari might have a real chance at the overall victory. The problem will be building, transporting, and supporting a team of one hundred and eighty seven factory race cars. I'll be cheering all of them on, hoping one will last.

9. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    As much as I would like it to happen I don't think it ever will. When Ferrari loose in F1 they can blame it on the restrictive rules. In WEC LMP the regulations are more open around car design and configuration so if they loose there it's harder to blame someone else.

Also while a lot of manufacturers are attracted to WEC at the moment they are not the manufacturers Ferrari really competes with in the market place (Porsche sort of excepted). Can you imagine the headline Nissan beats Ferrari to Le Mans win, LDM would be furious.

If Ferrari were planning on coming into WEC LMP in the near future I would expect to see some toes already in the water - perhaps Maserati branded LMP2 engines being supplied (the 458 engine would make a good base for this), but as yet there has been nothing even with AF Corse.

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    True, but Ferrari is competing against a drinks company in F-1.

Where is the honor in losing to Red Bull for the last half decade?

Let's face it, the automobile business is changing. They're all out to see who emerges with
    the best hybrid, low emission, energy efficient systems etc. while maintaining high performance
    for use in road going cars.

Those whom choose not to take part in WEC run the risk of being left behind in the market place.

BHW

11. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    Is really going to LMP1 so expensive for Ferrari? I heard that they can use F1 engine.
    I think that also salary for drivers are smaller in Le Mans than in F1.
    I think Ferrari will not join to Le Mans because they can't beat AUDI in 24 hours race like they can't beat Mercedes in F1
    F1 new rules are very stupid but Ferrari would not care about it if they will winning, the only criticized new rules because Red Bull and Mercedes beat them easily.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Audi spends around €100 mil on thei LMP1 programme each year.

Drivers salaries are the least of their worries.

13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Ferrari could use LeMans WEC as its lab for new development... it really has nothing prestigious to gain and a lot to lose if they come back and dont do well..

that again - I would love to see it - a la Ferrari based prototype hykers etc... would be cool - but if they do another Fxx program and people are paying for it why do Sports cars? LMP ... ?

14. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    Alonso salary in 2014: 27.14M USD
    Alonso salary is quarter what Audi spend on Le Mans

15. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    I have been told that this is more than just idle speculation.

It's always difficult to say what is just being used as leverage to bend F1, but there have been strong indications that Ferrari is legitimately preparing to jump back into LMP1. FIA WEC is a better platform for manufacturers to showcase tech of their choice within a much broader set of regulations. Audi runs a 4.0L turbo diesel, Toyota a 3.7 N/A petrol V8, Porsche a 2.0L turbo petrol V4.

The thought of Audi, Porsche, Toyota, Nissan and Ferrari all competing in LMP1 by 2016 is enough to make your head spin.

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Has anyone heard why this big announcement that Ferrari was supposed to make
    at Le Mans was suddenly cancelled?

Honestly, it is all polemics (to paraphrase Alonso) and using sports car racing as a foil
    to get their way in F-1 once again.

This year, they really ratcheted it up with this supposed big announcement event which
    was then conveniently cancelled for no evident reason other than to scare the bejeebers
    out of Bernie and Todt.

BHW

17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    #18 crinoid, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    in LMP1 ?

19. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    In whatever class they can run the F1 engine in.

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Under the current ACO rules package, the La Ferrari doesn't fit in either LMP-1 or GTE Pro
    and we all remember what a struggle it was to have the Maserati MC-12 come into the
    ALMS series due to the ACO's attitude towards Super Cars.

There are evidently some rules changes coming along for 2016 but I'm not familiar with
    their terms.

There was a lot of interest when the La Ferrari was seen testing at Fiorano but that was largely
    written off to the F-1 team testing the new turbo engine ahead of the new F-1 rules package.

Time will tell.

BHW

21. Dino Scuderia

Dino Scuderia Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    All the noise could just be political to get F1 to listen to Luca/Ferrari threatening to leave whilst praising WEC.

Much ado about nothing if you ask me. Luca pretty much goes to all the LM 24 races.

22. John.D

John.D Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2009
    France
    This is not the car for the XX program...??

23. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Not sure...

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

To go LMP1 racing it would need to be a ground up build.

GTE racing they already have the 458 GTE. LAF wouldn't fit in anywhere.