Le Mans Classic 2014 | FerrariChat

Le Mans Classic 2014

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jknight, Jul 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #1 jknight, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Did a quick weekend to this event. Very worthwhile and honestly would do again over the annual 24 hour race. Total paddock access; six grids of the most stunning cars - about 60 cars in each which equals roughly 60 million with of cars per grid; hard fought racing with most of these machines; tremendous amount of history with do many of the cars entered; lots of team mechanics and attendees in period dress; each grid had three races starting at 1700 on Saturday thru 1700 Sunday. Lots of us eating Saturday dinner in the restaurant/bar in the paddock at 1:30 am Sunday! Have lots if photos on my phone and may have to send to desktop to post but here's a few for starters!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #4 jknight, Jul 8, 2014
  3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I really want to attend this event.

4. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

5. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #8 jknight, Jul 8, 2014
    you're quite welcome and sorry for the doubles - had a little issue of sending them last night

It is really worth attending and definitely worth staying at the circuit for the entire time. There were lots and lots of car clubs there too with some beautiful cars in their parking area. You certainly don't get this sort of access with the regular 24 hour race - pits then are only open to public on Friday.

This is an interesting one #61 - ASA RB type 613 1300 GT chassis #21004. This history behind this car if MOST interesting.

The #34 is a friend's car - 1966 275 GTB/4 aluminum - he races it in several series.

Perhaps the full view of the Ferrari transporter showing it's destination of Le Mans would be nice to see again in the future!

As stated previously, many of the cars at the event have colorful histories with the 24 hour race - one of the Corvettes had a speed of 252 mph on the straight back in it's time. These guys really pushed the cars and no wrecks, very professional driving even in the almost continual rain over the weekend. Thanks, Carol

6. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks for sharing! I should've been there as well, but some virus got the better of me and I wasn't fit enough to go :(
    I especially regret it because Brandon Wang had gathered some fantastic Ferraris for his tour to Maranello. Do you have any pictures of those Ferraris? Also a picture of the 512 S Coda Lunga would be nice.

Best, Peter

7. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Excellent!! Thanks for sharing.

8. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #12 jknight, Jul 8, 2014
    You're most welcome. I am assuming that you are referring to the Ferrari Display in the paddock. On a post above you will see a photo of what appears to be a white building with Ferrari on it - actually it was a painted screen as part of the tent display. They had many Ferrari's parked out in front on Saturday, however, most were covered due to the rain. They started taking the covers off but the line was quite long to get into see the cars and due to timing we went onto the grid 4 paddock area. It has to be the same thing! I got photos of the 512 on Sunday when they moved it out by the transporter. I am sure this is the car you to which you are referring? I have also cropped and enlarged one of the photos to show the "fin" on the rear since I wasn't far enough back to get the entire car. It definitely was worth attending - just an FYI, our general entry was 53 Euro; paddock was 35 Euro and Tribune 20 Leonard (no seat assigned, open seating) was 30 Euro - total of 236 Euro for John and I to attend. Thanks again, Carol

9. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Thanks for the kind comments - you are more than welcome!! Carol

10. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Great photos, thanks for that.

11. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    you are most welcome - would have had more but the rain didn't cooperate! Thanks, Carol

12. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #16 bigodino, Jul 9, 2014
    Thanks Carol. Yes, that's the 512 S Coda Lunga, which means Long Tail (for obvious reasons).
    Too bad you missed out on the Brandon Wang Ferraris because of time and weather (covers). There were two 250 Testa Rossas, four 250 GTOs, a lot of 250 Californias, Lusso, Zagato, Bertone etc etc. See here for a picture taken on Thrusday (when it was dry and sunny).

Best, Peter

13. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #17 bigodino, Jul 9, 2014
  14. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Thanks Peter - yes this is the display. We did see a few of them in the above photo as they were taking off the covers late Saturday; Sunday they were not there like this - it's too bad that weather didn't hold for the weekend! I came across this info when I was curious as to the owner of the 213P (he was a British Hill Climb winner) - interesting stuff isn't it?

The Ferrari 312P V12 of the year 1969 was the most beautiful race car in my opinion.
    Without a doubt is the car I preferred.
    I love it so much, it looks magnificent also forty years later !
    A bit of story
    Ferrari built only three 0868 , 0870 & 0872 , the first two are "barchetta" (spider cars), the third one was a coupé, but all of them were more unhappy than they look wonderful !
    The 0870 scored DNF at the 1969 Monza 1000 Km (Amon-Andretti), 2nd overall at Spa 1000 Km (Rodriguez-Piper) , another DNF at Nurburgring (Amon-Rodriguez).
    Then was converted in a coupé for Le Mans (DNF Rodriguez-Piper again).
    After Le Mans Enzo ferrari sold it to Luigi Chinetti and under the NART colours the 312P was 5th overall at Bridgehampton '69 (Rodriguez), 5th overall Daytona '70 (Piper-Adamowicz) then scored a DNF at Sebring 12 Hours '70.
    In the same year Pierer Bardinon bought it for Mas du Clos.
    The 0868 was damaged in Vallelunga Test, early in the season, and didn't race in the Daytona 24 Hours '69, then it scored 2nd overall at Sebring 12Hours (Amon-Andretti) and 4th overall at 500 Km Brands Hatch (Amon-Rodriguez).
    During the Monza 1000 Km race it was destroyed in an accident, taken back to the Maranello factory, disassembled and never rebuilt as 312 P, but converted (?) in a 512 "speciale", a "concept car".
    The 0872 car had a very strange life.
    In his first race, the 24 hours of Le Mans '69, had an accident in the very early laps of the race (collided with the wreckage of the Porsche 917 of John Woolf's fatal accident).
    Chinetti bought and restored it for NART.
    In 1970 season this car, "with a roof bubble fitted for Mike Parkes" , was 4th overall at Daytona (Parkes-Posey), then 6th overall at Sebring (Parkes-Parsons).
    After a NC at Le Mans (Adamowicz-Parsons) the car turned into a spider, rear and front end was replaced and roof completely removed.
    In 1971 the car had a completely different look and scored a fifth overall at Daytona (Chinetti Jr-Garcia Veiga) and 8th overall at Sebring (Chinetti Jr-Eaton).
    In the spring of 1971 the car was completely dismantled.
    I think some parts of this car was bought by some collectors and may be someone of them tried to restore it.

15. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    That REPSOL sponsored F355 Challenge looks great!

16. John.D

John.D Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2009
    France
    It's a 348 LM !

17. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  18. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    #22 Jacob Potts, Jul 17, 2014
  19. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  20. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    On days like these, it's nice to realize . . . .

[​IMG]

. . . it's only a car.

Jacob Potts :)