USCC race at Mosport | FerrariChat

USCC race at Mosport

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by texasmr2, Jul 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Anyone else watching, man I love this track. It deserves another F1 race in my opinion and yes I realize this is just wishful thinking.

2. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Seems to be more commercials than racing.

3. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Nothing new, they could use the "side by side" coverage.

Some vintage racing video being shown though.

4. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Tried watching via live stream, kept getting a window stating that live streaming of the
    race was only available in Europe, Asia, Afria and South America.

Sorry that I don't live in any of those places. Really...

BHW

6. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    This is what I think, taken from your link....."The team once again performed flawlessly in the pits, and there were no mechanical issues with the car or problems with other competitors, but the Ferrari was simply not able to compete in performance terms with the factory entries from BMW, Corvette, Dodge Viper and Porsche".

Do you think just because Ferrari cries wolf everything should stop so their needs can be met while the other teams just get on with the racing, isn't that the most important aspect? Racing does not revolve around Ferrari.

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I thought it was a good race. glad a P2 won overall. Mosport is one of my favorite tracks, up there with Road Atlanta. good to see the Viper GTD team win after the season they've had. close racing. no cautions. can't complain :)

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think the problem is the 458 is an old car in that class (the Corvette, 911, BMW and Viper are all newer designs), and they are a quasi-factory team versus full factory teams with the other marques. the 458 is still leading in GTD.

9. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Nailed it. I wonder if the new Cali TT will be allowed to race? You guys know more than I do about all this so I thought it was worth mentioning.

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    458 replacement isn't far off, so probably no reason to spend money on developing a Cali.

although the Z4 is a folding hardtop convertible that somehow becomes a fixed carbon fiber roof for racing... ;)

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Don't forget about the M Coupe; in fact I saw one on the road just yesterday.

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yes but that's not what they're racing :)

they are racing a fixed roof, V8 powered Z4....a car that isn't sold as a road car. which annoys me. the Z4 coupe hasn't been made for several years (and even then wasn't available as a V8)

13. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I have an issue with allowing a production based car run with an engine that is not offered in the production version of said car, Z4 with a V8 instead of the I6.

14. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Why not do a test like they do with Wec gte cars (paul ricard fia/wec bop by jean marc gounon)

15. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    huh?

16. Pantera1523

Pantera1523 Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    I've just recently been watching these Tudor Cup and similar races and find them much more enjoyable over most of the other mainstream racing. I have been wondering why it seems like the 458's seem to struggle against the other cars in their class.

Being new to this aspect of the sport are there only certain models that qualify under the rule set? I was wondering why there aren't Ferraris such as the 599 GTO or something. I mean wasn't the whole original intent to have a GTO variant so that you could take that car racing? I know that was the "old days" but you mean to tell me that now it is just a marketing term? I am shocked and disappointed... ;)

I think you nailed it right on the head though, Ferrari is the oldest one in that class of racers. Should be interesting to see when the next version comes out...

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    a 599 (GTO or otherwise), or now F12, would have made sense in the old GT1 specs (where Corvette used to race, along with various 550/575s, Aston DB9, etc). that class fell apart due to participation problems, Corvette was for a few years the only car left in that class. what is now GTLM is GT2, which is a slower, cheaper (yeah right ;)) class. I suppose if a 7 liter Corvette and an 8 liter Viper can be homologated, Ferrari could figure out a way to run a 599 or F12, but it would be severely restricted on horsepower; so it makes more sense to run a 458.

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think the rules are inhibiting the Ferraris, but also the Audi R8s, the Aston Martins and even, to some extent, the Porsches, who were penalized some following their early season success. If USCC is trying to even the playing field, they're doing a poor job of it. It's as if they are favoring the American marques (Corvette and Viper).

19. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Overall I enjoyed the race and as previously mentioned I love that track. They should hold a NASCAR event there.

20. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Bop test gte/gt2 paul ricard (after Spa WEC IIRC): air restrictor size change, fuel tank capacity and rear wing height. This year it was "even" porsche / aston/ferrari/corvette. Last year Porsche had a lot of advantage (le mans)

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    IMSA does that too :) tests at Sebring in Daytona in the offseason, and adjustments through the year

22. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Remember the RX8s running in grand am were aloud to run a tube chassis with a turbo 3 rotor motor. What of that sounds like a production car?

I think I remember reading that the Turner M6 that was running in GA actually had the same chassis as the RX8.

23. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
  24. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Yes I remember and actually there was a production version of the three rotor (twin turbo), the 20B-REW, used in the 1990-1995 Eunos Cosmo. So with that being said the 3-rotor does at least have some production lineage even though it was not offered in the US or in the RX series.

I know you know the point I am trying to get at, in a production based class I wish the OE engine format was used. Wishful thinking I know but a man can dream, right? :)

25. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007