Porsche buys Kyalami | FerrariChat

Porsche buys Kyalami

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Ney, Jul 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  3. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, this is really great news.

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    +1

I imagine it will be most likely used as a winter testing location for the factory racing programs. it would take another $20mm+ to upgrade the facility to FIA grade 1 (F1/WEC) specs, if it were possible at all (proper runoff space, etc); so I'd be shocked if it were used as a top level racing venue any time soon.

what's the club racing scene in South Africa like?

5. Hugh Conway

Hugh Conway Karting

Jul 24, 2012
    Could be a new Porsche Driving experience location as well. South Africa in the Northern Hemisphere winter would be an attractive experience and Porsche is also looking to expand African market sales.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    good point...Porsche is building those centers in the US as well (Atlanta, close to ATL and their new North American HQ, and in LA near LAX/405&110)

7. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I grew up club racing there, and working the FI races and the 9 Hour Endurance races that saw such great battles between Ferrari and Porsche. The track today is configured differently to its original shape and direction but it is a wonderful venue

8. Capristo Exhaust USA

Capristo Exhaust USA Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 29, 2009
    Riviera Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Capristo Exhaust
    Glad to hear that someone bought the track and that it will not to developed for residential .
    However unfortunately South Africa has its problems and i am glad to have left and immigrated to the us.
    There was no future for me when i had my motorsports company and black empowerment was trying to take there share of the pie.

I managed to get out at the right time and unfortunately motorsports in South Africa has a weak future .