Vision for future TUDOR United SportsCar Championship class structure revealed | FerrariChat

Vision for future TUDOR United SportsCar Championship class structure revealed

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Aug 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'm happy to see they are ditching their legacy classes and adopting more global FIA and ACO specs.

my big question is what happens to Chevy and all their $$$$....will IMSANASCAR find a way to get small block V8s homologated for P2? will Chevy join Ford in building a 3.5 liter turbo V6? I can't see NASCAR letting Chevy go, and can't see the clear prototype direction for Chevy. will be interesting.

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yes, and the addition of GT3 rules to replace GTD should see stellar fields as we've seen
    in Blancpain and PWC.

BHW

4. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'm glad they went to true GT3 specs but I don't think it will make a difference; GTD class is already at capacity, and preference is given to full season entrants. so I don't think we'll see more or better entrants, just better racing within the class.

5. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Anything that gets rid of DP is fine by me, then the Nascar yellows can go too, pitting by class is a ridiculous waste of time and destruction of possible upset results.

6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    pitting by class is ridiculous, but there needs to be a way to keep all 50+ cars from piling onto pit lane at once. maybe prototypes, then GT?

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    They started doing this separating the classes at the starts, during pit sequences, reducing the
    amount of fuel capacity for GT cars, etc. early on after the DP cars lost out to GT Corvette, Viper
    and Porsche teams in the 24 Hours of Daytona.

To have this happen once was embarrassing enough but to have it happen three years in a row
    was completely unacceptable and changes needed to be made.

They likely stated at the time it was a safety issue but what was so unsafe about having the entire
    field take the green flag together? They immediately built in a 30 second or more deficit between
    the DP and GT cars right from the start.

Then, with GT cars running reduced fuel capacity, they had to pit more times than the DP cars, more
    time lost stationary in the pits. So, no way the GT cars could show up the DP cars in their blue ribband
    event ever again.

Not sure the justification for separating the DP and GT pit stops under caution as all it does
    is serve to jumble the running order and cause more confusion which all came to a head at Sebring
    this year.

Many point to the 1983 12 Hours of Sebring as one of the best ever. That race concluded with a GTO
    Porsche 934 winning overall against far more potent GTX class Porsche 935s and and handful of prototypes,
    all of which ran into problems.

The attrition in that race was such that a GTO Mazda RX-7 led for a brief time as well. Did this cause
    IMSA to completely change their rules to assure it never happened again?

BHW

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #8 F1tommy, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. GuyIncognito