Red Bull Global Rallycross - Daytona | FerrariChat

Red Bull Global Rallycross - Daytona

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Str8shooter, Aug 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #1 Str8shooter, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was happy to see another event come to Daytona giving me something to do and after watching previous rounds of the Red Bull Global Rallycross on TV I was pretty excited to check it out. Unfortunately it was as hot as it gets here in Florida and it took everything I had to keep from passing out from the heat.

I ventured from the shade to get a few pictures but gave in before the actual racing began. Had in my mind I'd go back today but after walking the dog this morning I knew the heat was too brutal to make walking around the track taking pictures any kind of fun.

I will say the cars are pretty cool and really fast. It was nice they allow paddock access but there wasn't much to see. There were very few spectators and it almost felt like a private event. I'm sure there will be more today but I'm going to sit in the AC and watch it live on NBC at 2:00 pm EST.

I liked it and I'll go back again. I hope by holding the event on the hottest day of the year they learned their lesson and pick a better date to hold the event next year.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Yeah, they couldn't have done it at a worse time of the year in Florida. Why not wait until
    October or November?

Back in the early 90s, friends of mine were doing some SCCA racing and I was photographing
    so they wanted me to come up to Daytona to shoot at the event for them. This event was
    likewise in July or August and it was brutally hot with no air moving around inside the track.

Think I covered maybe two practice sessions and called it a day.

BHW

3. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    First reaction to radio advert: sweet, i was just watching that on tv.
    Second reaction to radio advert: wait, when? Hell no!

4. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Nice pics, too bad the heat kept the spectators away. I went a couple years ago in Vegas and it's a lot of fun to watch.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I never really saw the point of rallycross ...

6. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I assume Rally Cross doesn't have the budget to hold an event in Daytona except when no one else wants to.

A lot of the drivers have backgrounds in other sports which I think makes it really pretty cool!

7. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    In America, spectators for one reason or another like to be catered to in stadium-type setting and will not trek out to forest stages. Hardly any stage rally coverage on TV and XGames and rallyX format allows for marketing not available rallying in the forest.

RallyX to me seemed like a lot of sitting around waiting, hole-shot winner to first corner wins and body damage banging most everything.

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Rallycross was born in UK, when the British round of the World Rally Championship (the RAC) was cancelled because of the "foot-and-mouth disease outbreak that year, prohibiting the movement of cars across the country. Several competitors decided to race on a mixed tarmac/shale track instead.
    So, I can understand why originally rallycross cars used to look like rally cars.

But why they have persevered with that definition, I cannot understand. There are plenty of buggies, rails, or off-road vehicles that could be suitable for this sport, without looking like a Ford, a Citroen or a Peugeot. I am sure they could be built at a fraction of the cost too.

I used to like watching rallying which as a race against the clock, but rallycross is a contact sport far remote to its origins now.

9. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Because to go fast on mixed surface, you need AWD which rallycars have. Using production based cars, brings manufacturers onboard to field entries and be event sponsors. VW of America is title sponsor for Global RallyX.

In the US, there have been many different stadium off-road truck racing series and still are that get more publicity than rallyX. Bigger jumps, longer suspension travel, wider track so don't roll or flip when landing, cheap tear away panels and cheap V8 power.