Daytona Motorsports Group out, FIM in for US motorcycle roadracing | FerrariChat

Daytona Motorsports Group out, FIM in for US motorcycle roadracing

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tundraphile, Sep 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
  2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Oh, good heavens, the empire is crumbling.

BHW

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that is AWESOME news!

DMG had no idea what they were doing with that series and damn near killed it off.

I was a huge fan of AMA racing, up until DMG took over. don't think I've watched any AMA racing in almost a decade.

now the big question....will the DMG/France family kill off the Daytona 200 in spite? probably not, that event as part of bike week brings in decent money for the track. but you never know...

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #4 tundraphile, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    They killed off the Daytona 200 when they went to 600s about 7 years ago. They are to go back to literbikes next year but I doubt it will make much of a difference. Until the world stars come to race it as a one-off I don't see it really being noteworthy. Get Sykes/Guintoli/Laverty to do it and past winners Chaz Davies and Nicky Hayden for the race and you would see lots of interest. I don't see a rider like Marquez or Rossi ever doing it, but there are several now in MotoGP toward the back that might want the notoriety, not to mention the payday.

One thing I hope they do is adopt the same rules as World Superbike (all EVO class next year IIRC), along with the same tires. Wild cards were always one of the best things about US rounds of WSBK in the past.

If the goal is to construct series that will feed into the world stage, they will also have to add classes and probably eliminate redundant ones like Daytona Sportbike which seems to be a catch-all where anything outside of literbikes could race with restrictions (Buell, 848 Ducati, GSXR-750 etc).

Moto3 & Moto2 classes, perhaps dumbed-down a little due to cost considerations, would be a good place to start. I would think there will be old racebikes from these classes available, or if enough market exists you could see production racers for these classes. The guys that win championships in these lower classes might have opportunities in the MotoGP series, while the guys that do not can graduate up to the Superbike class in hopes of landing a WSBK ride later on.

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    This sounds like good news to me...

6. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #6 Str8shooter, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    First four pictures are fantastic, thank you.

8. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    We can thank John Ulrich for this. David Atlas and his crew oversaw the demise of our sport, and had Ulrich not called them on it, encouraged Wayne Rainey, this would not have happened.

As for Daytona and the 200: there was no way 5, 6 years ago that you could run the 1000s for the 200. You've have killed have the field: tires would last chunking after 5, 6 laps. Getting off at over 200 isn't a good idea. I fell there at 150, and it wasn't pretty.

Art

9. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011